Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found your group as I was researching info on a 2009 SRT I may purchase, the car is like new 6,700 miles, orange color, automatic. Are there any issues I should know about or look for as I further investigate this car?
Thanks in advance

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,649 Posts
Found your group as I was researching info on a 2009 SRT I may purchase, the car is like new 6,700 miles, orange color, automatic. Are there any issues I should know about or look for as I further investigate this car?
Thanks in advance
Welcome from AZ, an almost new 2009 pretty cool.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,683 Posts
The most important issue would be the timing chain recall. Whether you are buying from a dealer or a private party, ask if the timing chain repair has been performed. The repair will come at no cost to you, and with the low miles (6700) it should not be an issue for quite some time, but you will want to check the vehicle's VIN against the timing chain recall. If the seller does not know, Contact Dodge and submit the vehicle's VIN for verification.

·
Registered
22,658 Posts
No big issues with a 2009 SRT that I'ma aware of, you get the 6.1 Hemi motor and a limited slip 226mm getrag rear. If you are into modding the motor the 6.1 is pretty straight forward and the vendors carry lots of go fast goodies for them from tuners and super chargers to headers and cams. :smileup:

·
Registered
22,658 Posts
The most important issue would be the timing chain recall. Whether you are buying from a dealer or a private party, ask if the timing chain repair has been performed. The repair will come at no cost to you, and with the low miles (6700) it should be an issue for quite some time, but you will want to check the vehicle's VIN against the timing chain recall. If the seller does not know, Contact Dodge and submit the vehicle's VIN for verification.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe there is any timing chain recall on the 6.1 motors only the 5.7 with MDS.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,683 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe there is any timing chain recall on the 6.1 motors only the 5.7 with MDS.
You are totally correct! I saw SRT and read RT. I defer to the greater focus of observation and cognition! :smileup:

·
"Z" member since 2009
3,907 Posts
The 6.1 was rated at 425 hp; not too shabby! I can't think of any issues with a 2009 SRT. If the selling price is to your liking then I would recommend buying it.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,649 Posts
The most important issue would be the timing chain recall. Whether you are buying from a dealer or a private party, ask if the timing chain repair has been performed. The repair will come at no cost to you, and with the low miles (6700) it should not be an issue for quite some time, but you will want to check the vehicle's VIN against the timing chain recall. If the seller does not know, Contact Dodge and submit the vehicle's VIN for verification.
He is looking at an SRT there are no issues with timing chains with them.I see you figured it out LOL.

·
Politically correct.
'09 SRT 440 HEMI
11,170 Posts
If you are into modding the vendors carry lots of go fast goodies for them from tuners and super chargers to headers and cams. :smileup:
That's the biggest problem I had..........for my wallet. LOL!

:D

·
Registered
1,019 Posts

Like these two have stated, you can't go wrong with a 09 SRT. There is so many thing you can do with that motor. Stroke it out to a 426 or even a 440. Even if you don't want to do anything, the 6.1 Hemi is a beast. With the low miles you stated, you got yourself a great car.:smileup:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A couple more questions, are any year/models more desirable than others? Will certain variations ever have a collectable value?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
A couple more questions, are any year/models more desirable than others? Will certain variations ever have a collectable value?
2008 to 2010 had the 6.1 Hemi. 2011 and present have the 6.4 Hemi. The later you go in the models of an SRT or any of the models of a Challenger, the better they get. Just an example. For the first year of the 6.4, you had no track, or sport mode. That came in 2012. 2013 and present gave you the option to get the Vapor wheels.

·
Registered
154 Posts
That year with those miles is quite good. Unless you a real horsepower junkie then the 2009 6.1 should satisfy you power desires without any enhancements. But as they said they are some easy and not terribly expensive ways to get a bit more and more expensive ways to get a good bit more.
But if you looking for collector value you need to plan to live 50 more years. But one thing is the biggest part of the depreciation on the 2009 has already happened. I tried researching bit to see what that year is going for without much luck so what is a fair price is really your call. Kelly says from another person $33,000 to 34,000. I don't think I would pay that much, I got my 2008 for under 30,000.
I bought a used 5000 mile 2008 and have never regretted it a moment. I wanted the "first year numbered edition" ego booster and found a good deal.
Thing is if you find a price you happy with at the start you will never regret the money spent while you are behind the wheel of any Challenger SRT!

·
12,989 Posts

We all know John, Its MONEY, MONEY, MONEY!! it never ends!!:kap:

·
Politically correct.
'09 SRT 440 HEMI
11,170 Posts
I realize that color is a personal preference but are some more popular than others?
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. IMO, they are all popular. :smileup:

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I have an 09 SRT and I haven’t had any real issues with it. I bought the car new and will never sell it. I have had over 5 years of good memories with the car.

Here are a few good points about the 09,
You can totally disable the traction control.
There is no limiter on the car, if there is one I haven’t found it yet.
The car doesn’t have the annoying MDS feature, all 8 cylinders are on all the time.

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
I realize that color is a personal preference but are some more popular than others?

B5 Blue, Green With Envy, Furious Fuschia and Detanator Yellow are all low production colors....although, B5Blue is said to be coming back in 2015......these would be, I guess, more collectible.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts