Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after getting my 2012 Yellow Jacket out of storage for the summer I've started with a problem. On a cold start and after pulling out onto the road I go from first to second and randomly it will jump right out of gear. After it warms up this has never happened. I am also having an issue with going into 4th gear when at the track with my left foot on the floor sometimes it will just grind and not go in unless I double clutch it. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
So after getting my 2012 Yellow Jacket out of storage for the summer I've started with a problem. On a cold start and after pulling out onto the road I go from first to second and randomly it will jump right out of gear. After it warms up this has never happened. I am also having an issue with going into 4th gear when at the track with my left foot on the floor sometimes it will just grind and not go in unless I double clutch it. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance ;)
I have a new 2016 SRT, under 300 miles, and I notice that sometimes I can't get it to shift into second gear without a double clutch. Dosent seem to matter if it's warmed up, or just started. Dosent happen all the time, either.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
55,625 Posts
I have a new 2016 SRT, under 300 miles, and I notice that sometimes I can't get it to shift into second gear without a double clutch. Dosent seem to matter if it's warmed up, or just started. Dosent happen all the time, either.
Skip shift function maybe, if you have not installed an eliminator.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
55,625 Posts
Eliminator? I'm not familiar with what that is..
It eliminates the 1-4 shift that car forces you to make under certain conditions.

Reactions: Radksx

·
Registered
32 Posts
It eliminates the 1-4 shift that car forces you to make under certain conditions.
Ah... yes. I didn't know there was something available to eliminate that or that it was a mandatory thing in some situations. Just assumed it was an optional shift pattern if you wanted to do that. Interesting. Thanks!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm currently waiting on a star case reply and authorization for the repair or replacement of my 2014 Core's tranny. With a VIN search, the dealership told me that my car never had a Clutch Delay Valve or Skip-Shift feature. From what I've experienced, it's like the shifter throw is just barely long enough to engage 2nd, provided I strong arm it to ensure it travels beyond that extra little notch, or it will jump out of gear and grind. Like others, it doesn't do it all the time. At slow speeds and/or below normal operating temp only. All other gears are fine all the time. I'll come back and provide an update on my case, when I know something else.

In the meantime, a Barton shifter, and an AMP-D bronze shifter cup isolation bushing are on my workbench. The dealership said they would install the bushing for me while the tranny is out, or before the new tranny goes in. I'll install the Barton after the dealership finishes their work.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I too have had a issue going from 1st to 2nd but my problem was with the driver ...me.You have to pull 2nd gear all the way to the left when you go from 1st to 2nd.Since I have corrected my shifting its been ok.

·
Premium Member
4,688 Posts
I'm currently waiting on a star case reply and authorization for the repair or replacement of my 2014 Core's tranny. With a VIN search, the dealership told me that my car never had a Clutch Delay Valve or Skip-Shift feature. From what I've experienced, it's like the shifter throw is just barely long enough to engage 2nd, provided I strong arm it to ensure it travels beyond that extra little notch, or it will jump out of gear and grind. Like others, it doesn't do it all the time. At slow speeds and/or below normal operating temp only. All other gears are fine all the time. I'll come back and provide an update on my case, when I know something else.

In the meantime, a Barton shifter, and an AMP-D bronze shifter cup isolation bushing are on my workbench. The dealership said they would install the bushing for me while the tranny is out, or before the new tranny goes in. I'll install the Barton after the dealership finishes their work.
Whoever told you that is a moron. The clutch delay valve is on ALL the challengers with the 6 speed. The 1-4 skip shift feature comes from the Tremec factory that way. It is not put on during the car assembly process. It is required as a fuel saving feature. It is built into the gearbox with the associated mechanism and solenoid hooked to the electrical system.

-John

·
Registered
42 Posts
So far, my problem has somehow been mechanical. In an hour, I have an appointment for further dealership investigation, as called for by Chrysler. Chrysler wants them to eyeball the shifter for some reason. I don't think that's the problem but, we'll see. After that, there should be a determination made as to what they do for a fix. I'm hoping they just change out the tranny and ship it to the engineers, so they can tear it down and pinpoint a fault. I have no way to confirm how much 2nd gear grinding has occurred in these 37,000 miles. In the past month, I do know there has been a couple dozen episodes witnessed by me and the dealership too. For sure, that has to warrant an internal look see.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Whoever told you that is a moron. The clutch delay valve is on ALL the challengers with the 6 speed. The 1-4 skip shift feature comes from the Tremec factory that way. It is not put on during the car assembly process. It is required as a fuel saving feature. It is built into the gearbox with the associated mechanism and solenoid hooked to the electrical system.

-John
John, you're talking to a MOPAR amateur here. I don't much about this stuff, but I'm learning. I checked with the original owner and he said he never removed the CDV. I had a mechanic disconnect the line and check. No CDV was installed. As far as the skip shift feature, I'm not yet sure how that works.

·
Premium Member
2014 SRT-8
8,220 Posts
John, you're talking to a MOPAR amateur here. I don't much about this stuff, but I'm learning. I checked with the original owner and he said he never removed the CDV. I had a mechanic disconnect the line and check. No CDV was installed. As far as the skip shift feature, I'm not yet sure how that works.
IZM993-2.jpg

The skip shift eliminator is a little harness that gets plugged onto the trans. solenoid and into the harness.Cost about $15.

·
Premium Member
4,688 Posts
The enabling of the skip shift happens between 19 - 23 MPH on the 1st. to 2nd. gear shift. This is the sweet spot where most drivers will change gears during normal acceleration. Below or above that speed zone, the solenoid is not activated. It is only on upshift. It will never enable on a downshift from any gear above 2nd. gear. It is supposed to save gas because the parameters of the drivetrain are set up in such a way that engine timing and torque are optimized to this function. As far as the CDV goes, the mechanic would not be able to see if the valve were there unless he tried to poke it out of the sleeve it is mounted in. Some people use a pick and other tools or a skinny drywall screw to remove the two parts that come out of the barrel where the line clip holds everything together. The only other way it could not be there is if the slave cylinder was changed and it was removed then. The slave cylinder and the pipe that exits the transmission housing is one assembly containing the female barrel part the valve is located in. Check this out.... https://www.challengerforumz.com/threads/scat-pack-clutch-delay-valve.117917/

-John

·
Registered
42 Posts
The enabling of the skip shift happens between 19 - 23 MPH on the 1st. to 2nd. gear shift. This is the sweet spot where most drivers will change gears during normal acceleration. Below or above that speed zone, the solenoid is not activated. It is only on upshift. It will never enable on a downshift from any gear above 2nd. gear. It is supposed to save gas because the parameters of the drivetrain are set up in such a way that engine timing and torque are optimized to this function. As far as the CDV goes, the mechanic would not be able to see if the valve were there unless he tried to poke it out of the sleeve it is mounted in. Some people use a pick and other tools or a skinny drywall screw to remove the two parts that come out of the barrel where the line clip holds everything together. The only other way it could not be there is if the slave cylinder was changed and it was removed then. The slave cylinder and the pipe that exits the transmission housing is one assembly containing the female barrel part the valve is located in. Check this out.... https://www.challengerforumz.com/threads/scat-pack-clutch-delay-valve.117917/

-John
Thanks for the explanation, John. I appreciate it. For the CDV, my mechanic friend and I both looked down the tube with an inspection mirror and he probed down the tube as far as he could with a pick type tool. Nothing was in the metal slave cylinder line. No rubber piece and no plastic restrictor, as shown in the forum link you provided.

As far as today's grinding issue appointment, the dealership has now checked everything they can and it has been decided that the tranny will be replaced with a new one. Before installation, they will also install the bronze AMP-D Shifter Cup Isolation Bushing, I procured. They asked if I wanted them to install the new Barton shifter. I told them I would swap them myself. They will get the car without a console and I'll install the shifter after the tranny swap is done. That way, the console gets pulled and installed once. Besides, I want to make sure the shifter is properly installed and adjusted. I'll be back on November 6th to let you know how the swap went.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well, my tranny was replaced with a new one today. The cost (under warranty) was $2,842 for the tranny, $24.52 for fluids, and $280.80 labor @ $68 per hour. Total-- $3,147.32.

While the dealership was at it, they installed an AMP-D Bronze Shifter Cup Isolation Bushing in the tranny, and hooked up the Skip Shift Eliminator for me. When I got home, I began the Barton Shifter install. It was easy enough to do. The old MOPAR shifter will be stored in my attic. The Barton makes a world of difference. No more jumping out of gear, shorter throw, and more reliable shifts. It seems a little stiff, but I'll get used to that. The tranny is quieter, seems more solid and smoother than the old one. Problems cured.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a 2016 around the same milage as well. Experiencing the same shift to second gear issue..

·
Registered
42 Posts
As an update, my '14 CORE has experienced not one 2nd gear grind in almost 400 miles. Thanks to the skip-shift eliminator she goes into gear each and every time, regardless of speed. The Barton shifter has snuggled-in to become a great mod as well. Other than the annoying rear end whine, I'm tickled pink.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts