Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I currently am driving a corolla but I have always dreamed of owning a muscle car. My only concern is that I have a 37 each way mile commute to work and wondering if my dream should wait or if I should go for it.

My wife has an SUV so back seat is not a concern, I think my only concern is gas cost. I am either going to do the RT, ET plus, or RT Classic. Would like to hear from other long commuters who may own a challenger and their gas costs. Thanks

·
Registered
380 Posts
Well if your worried about the gas get the V-6, I hate these gas prices but I want to enjoy a Hemi for a while, I figured if I'm getting a muscle car it should have some muscle.

·
Slower Traffic Keep Right
5,416 Posts
Stop dreaming - start living... put some swagger in you steps from the parking lot to the office... it will be the best 74 miles of your day! Wait - wait for what... the perfect opportunity that may never arrive... Do it now and live with the awesome consequences or spend however long it may take wondering if you should have done it... Just my very biased .02.... tomorrow is not promised so I live for today as much as possible... that's why the Shaker hood that I did not need is on order anyway... hahahahahahaha!!

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat, 6 Speed Manual
1,103 Posts
If you want good gas mileage get a prius, if you want to enjoy your drive get a hemi, I can get in the mid to upper 20's with mine on the hwy. The sixer does get a little bit better mileage but not much only 2 mpg in the advertised mileage so the hemi would be recommendation but you cannot go wrong either way.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you want good gas mileage get a prius, if you want to enjoy your drive get a hemi, I can get in the mid to upper 20's with mine on the hwy. The sixer does get a little bit better mileage but not much only 2 mpg in the advertised mileage so the hemi would be recommendation but you cannot go wrong either way.
I see your in Wyoming too:4-wavey:

To the OP get the Challenger! You only live once.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I see your in Wyoming too:4-wavey:

To the OP get the Challenger! You only live once.
Oh Rawtown fought fire for the BLM back in the day out of there, drank many of beers at the Keg, music in the park, and of course the Rifleman. Live in Cody now. Powder river let r buck.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I drive about 46 to and from, every day. It's not too bad.
Not always, but I can fill up once a week. That's driving like a normal human being :)i_rolleyes:)
I've been making it through an entire week by a very small margin lately.
I run 91 now, but filling up with 89, and stock - I could avg. close to 24MPG. Again, driving like a normal human being. That number diminishes very quickly the moment you pin that pedal. My trip back home is also going uphill. I have an automatic R/T and I will tell you, though, that MDS is a life saver. It can really help you stretch a tank if you need to.

But, honestly?
I wouldn't worry too much about it. When I started where I am now, the commute was a concern of mine also, but the gas actually turned out to be one of the more minimal costs in my life. It can definitely be expensive. I won't lie and say it isn't. Gas is not cheap. However, I wouldn't allow it to keep me from the car unless it would turn out to be on the end of extremely irresponsible, as opposed to, "Jeez, I spend way too much money filling this thing up... but it's sooo fun."

Of course, though - people have completely different lifestyles and what works for some, may not work for others.
And that's just because of many, many variables coming into play here. Such is life.
I won't say get the car, but I will say, living & thinking: "What if.." is not one of the greater feelings in life.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Live for today

I drive 25 miles each way, I fill up once a week. I was in the same boat as you. Once my wifes SUV was paid off, I jumped at the chance to get my dream car, I didn't even look at the sticker for gas mileage, I DON'T care, I wanna drive my baby. If this is what you want, and I believe it is, then you have to jump on it now!!!:smileup:

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,696 Posts
If your commute is mostly highway there is not that much difference in mileage between the 3.6 and the 5.7 maybe 3-4 mpg.Our Charger gets 31 the Challenger gets 27-28.

·
Banned
2,349 Posts
LOL he already has a Corolla a Prius would be a step up :)
Here would be a great place form him too start , But seriously if you are concerned with fuel mileage you aren't ready for a muscle car. there are days I won't hit 12 MPG which If I go look think thats my average. Since your profile isnt filled out hard to tell you anything expect insurance to double over your Corolla,
http://www.challengerforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

·
Banned
2,349 Posts
Oh Rawtown fought fire for the BLM back in the day out of there, drank many of beers at the Keg, music in the park, and of course the Rifleman. Live in Cody now. Powder river let r buck.

Cody huh have a couple Night series buckles :) Cowboy bar ect.:smileup: Love the Cody Firearms Museum. Lived in Laramie for a Bit but love the Kaycee area .

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
My R/T 6 speed is my daily driver, has been since January 2011. My drive at the time was 28 miles roundtrip. Now with my new job it's 55 miles roundtrip. I get better mileage in the summer than in the winter. I'd say I spend around $50 a week in gas for my car given my work drive and then smaller trips here at home after work.

The V6 will be a little better on gas, but it's not a huge difference like you'd think. Coming from a Corolla that probably gets 35+mpg it's going to be a shocker. Your mileage will probably drop near half, but your smile and fun factor will double or triple too! :)

If you really want to have a muscle car, then just do it. If after a year or two of driving it you get tired of filling it up, you can always sell it and get back into a better mileage vehicle. But my guess is you'll like it and find ways to cut small things in your budget to make it work. :)

If you go to test drive one, you won't need to think about it anymore, you'll just want the car. If you don't get that feeling after driving it, it might not be for you.

I test drove my 6 speed and knew right away I wanted to get that car. My drives to work have never been more fun! Everyone else is driving their fuel efficient bland colored low powered car to work while I'm cruising down the highway in my bright orange Challenger, shifting gears, blasting the stereo, and having a blast everywhere I go!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Cody huh have a couple Night series buckles :) Cowboy bar ect.:smileup: Love the Cody Firearms Museum. Lived in Laramie for a Bit but love the Kaycee area .
Yeah the northern portion of he state is much nicer than the southern half. Went to school in Laramie and damn those winters suck. People on here will complain all they want about the winter but that place is tough. Distinctly remember -50's snow that wouldnt melt for months on top of those crappy roads they have there, if they plowed them. It got so cold one night that the hose clamp on the hose to my radiator snapped spilling anti-freeze everywhere thought is was a head gasket thank god it was a 2 dollar part at pep boys. I like the Cody area as there is a lot do.

To get back on topic a test drive would be wise!

·
Registered
917 Posts
If the price of gas concerns really concerns you then a V8 isn't for you... if you look at the price of gas daily and are upset when the price goes up 3 cents and you are kicking yourself for not filling up yesterday a V8 isn't for you.

However, my RT Classic 6 speed... I drive about 80% highway and push it only once in a while and I get about 22MPG. With that being said when it is raining or winter I drive our 4 Cyl 2006 RAV4 and I get about 24... so... if you look at it THAT way it isn't that much difference... I would bet your Corolla is about 30MPG. Remember if you are looking at a 6 speed they recommend 91 octane gas as well.

·
Andy
3,906 Posts
look at it this way...over time, gas prices aren't going to go down...so either you stop your dream of having a muscle car or you bite the bullet and get er done! You only live once....so unless the extra bit of gas is going to break you....do it

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
You work hard, you spend 1/4 of your day commuting, you deserve a Muscle Car. Did you have a chance to drive a Challenger yet? I think once you do, your mind will be made up.....this isn't your average Muscle Car.
Do it....you only live once!

·
Registered
738 Posts
The mileage difference between the v6 and the 5.7 is not much maybe 2 to 3 mpg. No matter which you might choose you won't be sorry.

·
Banned
149 Posts
So I currently am driving a corolla but I have always dreamed of owning a muscle car. My only concern is that I have a 37 each way mile commute to work and wondering if my dream should wait or if I should go for it.

My wife has an SUV so back seat is not a concern, I think my only concern is gas cost. I am either going to do the RT, ET plus, or RT Classic. Would like to hear from other long commuters who may own a challenger and their gas costs. Thanks
Before deciding, try driving your SUV for a couple weeks. If you can deal with the fuel costs associated with driving that, the ride it gives.... then by all means go ahead with your dream instead of waiting.
If the costs of fuel are a concern, whether because you have a tight budget or just do not want to spend the money on fuel, then perhaps fulfilling your dream might have to wait.

Another option is, purchase a Used Muscle car, and continue to drive your corolla back and forth to work, enjoying the muscle car on the weekends.

·
Andy
3,906 Posts
or find one to rent for a week or two...cost you a little money, but easy and way cheaper than buying one and deciding you don't like it or it's too thirsty to drink as a daily driver for you.

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
Only thing to remember while driving your SUV to work is to remember you're spending a lot of money on gas to drive a "regular" vehicle. When you're driving an awesome muscle car to work everyday, you can justify the higher gas costs a little more because it's cool and lots of fun to drive.

You can get an older muscle car for fun on weekends/summers too and just keep the Corolla for work. But having a modern muscle car is nice in that it can be a daily driver, be reliable, not break the bank on gas, and give you years of trouble free service. An older muscle car is a lot of fun too, but you'll have to work on it more, it'll most likely use more gas, etc.

I would go test drive a V6 and then test drive a V8 and see which one you like more. The V6 has 305hp which is a lot of power as it is. You may not want the V8. Then again you may drive the V8 and say wow, this is it! I love this! And you won't care about the 2-4mpg difference.

I think a test drive will decide it for you more so than our comments here on this thread. Once you sit in that car and nail the gas and it throws you back in the seat, if you're not 100% sold, then it's not for you.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts