Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an issue that I have had over the past year. I’ve taken it to the dealership a couple times to get it checked out but they either told me they couldn’t hear it. This issue only happens sometimes, most commonly when I am at a stop and roll out of 1st gear. I’ve had a hellcat clutch put in, changed out my transmission fluid, but nothing seems to work. I am no mechanic but I suspect the noises are coming from my driveshaft being worn out or failing. The car only has 35,000 miles on it, but I do burnouts and drive hard.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SXT Plus
4,374 Posts
This is an issue that I have had over the past year. I’ve taken it to the dealership a couple times to get it checked out but they either told me they couldn’t hear it. This issue only happens sometimes, most commonly when I am at a stop and roll out of 1st gear. I’ve had a hellcat clutch put in, changed out my transmission fluid, but nothing seems to work. I am no mechanic but I suspect the noises are coming from my driveshaft being worn out or failing. The car only has 35,000 miles on it, but I do burnouts and drive hard.
Driveshaft bearing tearing loose.

·
Politically correct.
'09 SRT 440 HEMI
11,331 Posts
It could be lash in the rear end too. This is common in some rears.
:unsure:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had the same issue in my 2012 Challenger SRT8. I thought it was coming from the rear. I checked the driveshaft and it was tight. Turned out to be the drivers side motor mount.

My wife’s 2016 Challenger R/T had a bad driveshaft, it sounded like a baseball card stuck in the spokes of a bicycle.
Good luck

·
Premium Member
2012 Challenger R/T Classic 5.7L,Kook LT,Borla ATAK,Comp 270 cam,Hellcat valve train,AiraidCAI
422 Posts
I would check for excessive back lash in diff. or tranny. The carrier bearing will do the same thing if the rubber is broken up, that's an easy check, look, grab and shake. The initial clutch engagement of a burn out puts an incredible amount of stress on all these parts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Raise both rear wheels off ground, rotate either wheel in both directions until you feel resistance, if you can rotate more than an inch you got gear back lash problems, if ok, have someone else rotate wheel while you watch driveshaft, it should be perfectly straight and not move up and down, if ok, you probably have clutch fork bearing problems. when replacing clutch , pressure plate and fork bearing have to match.

·
Premium Member
5,057 Posts
Raise both rear wheels off ground, rotate either wheel in both directions until you feel resistance, if you can rotate more than an inch you got gear back lash problems, if ok, have someone else rotate wheel while you watch driveshaft, it should be perfectly straight and not move up and down, if ok, you probably have clutch fork bearing problems. when replacing clutch , pressure plate and fork bearing have to match.
These cars have no clutch fork.
-John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts