Dodge Challenger Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
3,612 Posts
Hey team, so I have given up on the ticking noise as every dealership has told me that it is normal or that they don’t hear it. But now that it’s starting to get cold again I am hearing it mor often again.
Did you eliminate the 2 piece driveshaft support bearing as a possibility?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Infamous Hemi Tick. But with only 30K on the clock you should still be under warranty ? Check out Uncle Tony's Garage on YouTube he addresses this issue.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
56,128 Posts
Infamous Hemi But with only 30K on the clock you should still be under warranty ? tick ? Check out Uncle Tony's Garage on YouTube he addresses this issue.
That guy is an idiot and that video is incorrect. The failures are from faulty needle bearings in the lifters. If his video was correct every 5.7 would fail and they don't .

·
Registered
427 Posts
Some times you get lucky ?

Calling Uncle Tony a idiot runs contrary to his standing with pro racers.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
56,128 Posts
Some times you get lucky ?

Calling Uncle Tony a idiot runs contrary to his standing with pro racers.

He is calling it a design flaw which would mean they all would have a failure. If he would bothered to investigate further he would see that the 3.6 has failures of lifters and rockers due to defective needle bearings, check the jeep forums.

·
Premium Member
4,765 Posts
The design flaw is that this engine requires roller lifters. If flat tappet lifters were installed in this engine, it might survive a hi RPM break-in phase--but beyond that, when the engine settles down to idle speed, the lobes and lifters would be wiped out due to insufficient lubrication to the cam. A pair of oil spray bars in the lifter valley could solve the problem. However, that brings up the issue of the need of an increased volume oil pump.
-John

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Infamous Hemi Tick. But with only 30K on the clock you should still be under warranty ? Check out Uncle Tony's Garage on YouTube he addresses this issue.

Uncle Tony contradicts himself. He is a self imposed expert and I don't trust anything he says. He is more concerned about Youtube likes or being a celebrity than anything Mopar related.

Reactions: Dodgeguy

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Plz try reading the comments.
I have watched his videos. On one video he says the Gen3 5.7 Hemi is the best Hemi ever built. On a video after that, he says basically the opposite saying he would never own one. Then he leaves both videos up on his site.

Reactions: BAD GRANDPA

·
How fa$$$t do want to go?
9,404 Posts
I have watched his videos. On one video he says the Gen3 5.7 Hemi is the best Hemi ever built. On a video after that, he says basically the opposite saying he would never own one. Then he leaves both videos up on his site.
Another fine candidate for Congress (Rule #1: Always cover all the bases, the fans are too busy singing the National Anthem to notice).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2015 Dodge Challenger scat pack and there this ticking sound coming from my right front tire when I drive and when I slow down it sound like it moves to the back of the car. I changed the oil but the sound is like a clothes pin on a bike

·
Premium Member
2015 sxt/rt 5.7 with scat pack kits 1 &2
2,333 Posts
I have a 2015 Dodge Challenger scat pack and there this ticking sound coming from my right front tire when I drive and when I slow down it sound like it moves to the back of the car. I changed the oil but the sound is like a clothes pin on a bike
check your drive shaft center carrier bearing happens to alot of us

Reactions: Kustom1950ford

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SXT Plus
4,331 Posts
Not another driveshaft failure, How many does this make now ? We will be seeing a lot more failures this summer, count on it.

Reactions: mike t

·
Registered
1 Posts
Granted this may not be your problem!

The elusive ticking clicking noise, mine sounded like it was coming from the front passenger side wheel, took it off checked it thoroughly, even slightly bent the rear rotor dust plate cover back a little to give more clearance, checked the wheel bearing for looseness, and it still made the noise.

Riding with my wife it started again, but she said it sounded like it was coming from under the dash close to the base of the steering column, we swapped off drivers and from the passenger side she was right it did sound like where she said, but from the drivers seat she said it was the front passenger wheel?

The ticking clicking did change sound when the car was steered left to right, and as long as the sound was there my confidence driving the car was not 100%, and I became very cautious to the point the fun was just not there and had been replaced with concern.

That put me on a search to find where it was coming from and thoroughly investigating the wheels, I was confident that the wheels were not just going to fall off, so my trust in the car increased but the sound continued and gradually got worse. One night my wife and I had gone out for supper and backing out of the restaurant the front drivers side wheel when I hit the brakes made a grinding sound, at least that sound warned me something was wrong and took the car home. It made no more noise after we left the restaurant and the next day after inspecting the brake pads to discover they were OK? I had been considering upgrade the brakes so I made the decision to go ahead and do it and change out the pads and rotors to a higher performance set.

Ordered a set of Z23s and the day I was going to do the change over, since the drivers wheel had made the grinding sound, I started there. When I got everything off down to the wheel bearing hub assembly, I rotated the outer hub and it was stiff feeling not loose, I got enough pressure to spin it and heard the clicking, well that brought my new brake installation to a screeching halt. Ordered wheel bearing hub assemblies for both sides in the front, replaced them with brand new MOOG assemblies, perfect fit.

The clicking sound was echoing underneath the hood, from the drivers seat it sounded like it was the front passenger wheel, from the passenger seat it sounded like the drivers wheel area? My 2015 has over 55,000 miles on it, there is more to the story, but I am not writing a book, although, I actually could from all my Challenger upgrades seeing as how I did it all, except the mounting tires to rims, and wheel alignment.

Ry
I may be missing it.. What was the answer? I have replaced both hubs and it is still clicking and making me batcrap crazy.

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
3,612 Posts
I may be missing it.. What was the answer? I have replaced both hubs and it is still clicking and making me batcrap crazy.
Sorry, My Bad, I thought I had put a picture of it in the thread.

The OEM two piece driveshaft carrier support bearing , the rubber support had torn loose from the support housing.

Plant Bumper Automotive tire Wood Grass

Before you think that couldn't possibly be it, check it.
You'll have to remove the heat shield to get access to it, the sound transfers throughout the car and seems to come from everywhere but the actual source.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts