Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got the core out for a ride today. Haven't had much of a chance to put any miles on it (525) since I bought it in late December due to snow/ice and just about everything else that can fall out of the sky. But today was dry, albeit stupid cold. (15 degrees when I took it out)

My normal practice when I get in a modern muscle car is to immediately turn off the traction control as a rule right after buckling my seat belt. Today was no exception. The few days I have had the opportunity to drive the car had been a fair bit warmer. (Like 35-50 degrees)

Anyway, out tooling around enjoying the car when I turned onto a road that was open so I mashed the throttle as soon as I hit third gear. This damn thing almost came around on me! It has never behaved like THAT before! I can only attribute it to the cold air giving it a bit more horse and those crappy four season Goodyear's that came on it were probably hard as a rock from the cold.

That'll get your heart going! Lesson learned... below 35 degrees keep the traction control ON!

·
Registered
23,118 Posts
I can totally identify with not being able to get out and put any miles on your Core, I got mine at the beginning of November and have only managed to put a little over 800 miles on it since.

Just a suggestion but I'd leave the traction control on unless you feel the need to do something that requires it to be off. It only takes a few seconds to shut it off so no sense driving around with it off all the time, as you found out you just never know when it might come in handy.

·
13,007 Posts
Frozen roads and high H.P. even with the traction control on can easily be a recipe for a disaster, be careful.

·
Registered
884 Posts
If you have the same Goodyear Supercar F1's mine came with they SUCK in the cold (and most other conditions as well). Can't get on it much at all, they just break loose so easy.

·
Registered
13,046 Posts
Cold weather = more power and less traction. Engine likes the cold air, tires get hard as a rock, massive spinning results haha! I've done the same with my car in the past as well.

I usually turn traction control off as soon as I start my car as well. But during the winter, or in the rain in warmer weather, I leave it on. It definitely helps a lot in those situations.

These cars have a lot of power so it's easy to get carried away. Just have to be careful and be mindful of traction and road conditions. Sounds like you had some fun! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.