Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
10,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The last time I washed my wheels I left streaks on the driveway that I had to pressure-wash away. I've avoided washing my wheels for the last two months, but they were due. The wheels looked like I had them plasti-dipped, ricer-style. I washed my Challenger yesterday and set aside this afternoon just to clean the wheels and tires. I used a cargo liner from my old Subaru and rolled up two old bath towels to trap the dirty wash runoff to keep from staining the driveway with brake dust. Worked pretty well, but I definitely need to look into replacing the Brembo OEM brake pads with something far less dusty, like Powerstops.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Hubcap

Asphalt Road surface Gas Automotive tire Automotive wheel system

·
Premium Member
19,352 Posts
I hear you John. The biggest PITA by far is cleaning my wheels. OCD won’t allow me to drive the car more than twice without cleaning them.
Takes me 20 minutes to spray and wipe down the wheels after which my hands look like I just walked out of a coal mine.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
56,118 Posts
I hear you John. The biggest PITA by far is cleaning my wheels. OCD won’t allow me to drive the car more than twice without cleaning them.
Takes me 20 minutes to spray and wipe down the wheels after which my hands look like I just walked out of a coal mine.
I can just rinse mine and every third time I wash them. The TW Hybrid solutions black ceramic spray keeps dust from sticking for a little while.

·
Registered
2019 F8 Green 1320
14 Posts
I'm going to replace my stock pads with Powerstop Z26 ones either today or this weekend. I had the same ones on my ZL1. They were nice, but you will feel a difference in braking power, especially when it's wet. If you don't dry them before you actually need to stop, you will find that you have no brakes... Definitely much less brake dust. With my black wheels, I rarely had to clean them.

·
Registered
2018 392 / 6 Speed
84 Posts
I'm going to replace my stock pads with Powerstop Z26 ones either today or this weekend. I had the same ones on my ZL1. They were nice, but you will feel a difference in braking power, especially when it's wet. If you don't dry them before you actually need to stop, you will find that you have no brakes... Definitely much less brake dust. With my black wheels, I rarely had to clean them.
The Brembo Pads turn my black wheels brownish. Just washed the car yesterday, and it took longer to do the wheels/tires/calipers than the rest of the car.

--Jeff

·
Registered
2013 PlumCrazy R/T
1,707 Posts

·
Registered
2018 392 / 6 Speed
84 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
The dust on the wheels was bad enough, but the squealing is what I pushed me over the edge to replace the stock brembo pads with powerstops.
The only time I ever hear any noise from my brakes is when the car has sat a few days and the rotors rust just enough to groan on the first stop or two. But the dust is awful.

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Widebody
72 Posts
in on this thread for more info. Wondering how much of a performance drop there is going to the PowerStops. I am really impressed with how this thing brakes but like everyone else, wow the dust.

·
Registered
256 Posts
in on this thread for more info. Wondering how much of a performance drop there is going to the PowerStops. I am really impressed with how this thing brakes but like everyone else, wow the dust.
So I put PowerStops on my my 6-piston Scat when the car had less than 1k miles on it. As normal for new brakes, it is necessary to break them in with a series of hard stops. I think the built-in G-force meter registered 1.37 forward G's when I nailed them hard. It actually gave me a bit of a headache as it felt like my eyeballs were trying to pop out of my head - seriously!

In my opinion, unless you are going out and doing serious track work, you will not notice any difference with the PowerStops.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Canadian Built Challenger
1,508 Posts
PowerStop Front Drilled & Slotted Brake Rotors 2008-2020 Challenger (4-Piston Brembo)
Part No.

Power Stop's Evolution drilled and slotted rotors provide cooler brake temperatures as a result of dissipating the gasses burning off of the brake pads. This "de-gassing" or "out-gassing" will keep the pads in contact with the rotor, resulting in less brake fade after repeated stops. Improved bite on the brake pads will also enhance braking performance from each option. All Power Stop rotors will promote improved wet-weather braking, as water is swept between the pad and rotors.

Automotive lighting Auto part Font Circle Glass

Intended for Street Use: Yes
For Use with Stock Calipers: Yes
Rotor Construction: Vented
Rotor Style: Cross-drilled and slotted surface
Rotor Outside Diameter (in.): 14.17 in.
Lug Hole Quantity: 5
Bolt Hole Diameter (in.): 4.500 in.
Bolt Hole Diameter (mm): 115.00mm
Nominal Thickness (in.): 1.260 in.
Nominal Thickness (mm): 30.00mm
Discard Thickness (in.): 1.180 in.
Rotor Material: Iron
Rotor Finish: Zinc plated
Quantity: Sold as a pair.
Notes: Will only fit models with standard 4 piston calipers. Will not fit models with optional 6 piston calipers

They also offer a Z17, a Z23 and a Z26 kits for all other challengers .....

Attachments

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
29,683 Posts
The last time I washed my wheels I left streaks on the driveway that I had to pressure-wash away. I've avoided washing my wheels for the last two months, but they were due. The wheels looked like I had matte bronze wheels. I washed my Challenger yesterday and set aside this afternoon just to clean the wheels and tires. I used a cargo liner from my old Subaru and rolled up two old bath towels to trap the dirty wash runoff to keep from staining the driveway with brake dust. Worked pretty well, but I definitely need to look into replacing the Brembo OEM brake pads with something far less dusty, like Powerstops.
View attachment 286085
View attachment 286086
View attachment 286087
View attachment 286088
This is pretty much a never ending job. Brake dust, brake dust, brake dust.

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
29,683 Posts
Can SO relate to this Art!

Reactions: MIDNITE RT

·
Registered
2018 392 / 6 Speed
84 Posts
The last time I washed my wheels I left streaks on the driveway that I had to pressure-wash away. I've avoided washing my wheels for the last two months, but they were due. The wheels looked like I had them plasti-dipped, ricer-style. I washed my Challenger yesterday and set aside this afternoon just to clean the wheels and tires. I used a cargo liner from my old Subaru and rolled up two old bath towels to trap the dirty wash runoff to keep from staining the driveway with brake dust. Worked pretty well, but I definitely need to look into replacing the Brembo OEM brake pads with something far less dusty, like Powerstops.
Learned that the hard way a long time ago, so I wash my car in the street to avoid messing up the driveway. Luckily we live on a Cul de Sac, so it's not a big deal. Nobody ever goes back there unless they are residents. I think I'm going to order the PowerStop Z26 Pads and Rotors. I like the idea of drilled and slotted rotors. I'll clean the wheels to within an inch of their lives, and I found a ceramic coat kit designed for wheels. That's about as good as it will get I think.

--Jeff

Reactions: Dodgeguy

·
Registered
17 Challenger Hellcat 6M - Destroyer Grey
92 Posts
Ceramic coating is your friend. I went with Gtechniq C5 and did it myself. I use nothing more than a ph balanced car soap and water. Takes a couple minutes.
View attachment 286418
What was the application like? I have a brand new set of wheels that I’m going to be putting on next Spring. Was looking at ceramic coatings and so far it seems like there’s two extremes. Basically spray on and wipe off ceramic and then the real pro stuff that’s $$$ and has somewhat of a temperamental application process. I’m more of a wrencher than a washer type of person

·
Registered
24 Posts
If I remember it cost $40 or $50 dollars. I had just had my wheels powder coated so they were in pristine condition. Wiped them down with some panel wipe just to make sure there was no oil from my hands, then hit it with the C5. Super easy job, a little goes a long way and once cured it is phenomenal. I chose to ceramic coat prior to having the tires mounted. I think I waited a full week (felt like a month LOL) before I had the tires mounted.

Here is a short do it yourself video I used for reference. Gtechniq - C5 Wheel Armour | The Rag Company

I liked the stuff so much I used the Gtechniq C4 on all of the exterior plastic on my Challenger.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts