M6 SCAT BRACKET RACING STREET STICK CLASS

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger Drag Racing Discussion' started by GARRETTECH, May 4, 2017.

1. GARRETTECH

GARRETTECH Member Site Supporter Level 5

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2014 CHALLENGER
    Trim?:
    R/T Classic
    Color?:
    Jazz Blue Pearl
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    forgot pics....no pics and it didnt happen :confused:

[​IMG]

my matchup, same car, both stick but his was a shaker and running 18"DRs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

time trial vs a '70 Challenger RT 440 6 pak....that car flies, 12.1x @ 120 on stock tires

[​IMG]

pretty shiny :cool:

2. GARRETTECH

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2014 CHALLENGER
    Trim?:
    R/T Classic
    Color?:
    Jazz Blue Pearl
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    WEDNESDAY NIGHT STREET STICK POINTS....ANOTHER RUNNER UP....BUT RETOOK THE POINTS LEAD

My third bracket race in a row getting runner-up.....I gotta figure out a way to close these deals. But on the bright side, today when they updated the points I saw that I am in first, only one point ahead of second and 2 points ahead of third.....I also have to learn how to beat these imports in the finals!!

to the racing

really nice night....DA ranged from 1589 at the start of the night and fell to 567 and 55 degrees. in between the 2nd and 3rd rounds, a test and tune diesel truck broke and dropped some fluid that took over an hour to clean up, which sucked, but it did bring in cooler air to mess with everyone

timetrials.....RT / 60' / ET / MPH

-.098 / 1.878 / 12.687 / 109.75
    -.025 / 1.887 / 12.679 / 110.45

was having some trouble with the lights which I didnt expect after racing on the street tires and using a protree the week before but I was way early both TTs. I knew I had to back off and readjust and remember how hard it launches and how different the 60' is with the DRs

ELIMS
    I dialed a 12.65 after those first 2 TTs, The lights might have been bad but the car was ready to roll with every increment of the 2 runs being right on each other

.161 / 1.882 / 12.597 / 111.68....raced a mustang and he redlighted, so as soon as I saw the win light, for a change, I maintained focus and had a clean pass and used that run as I should, a third timetrial. I broke out and also picked up 1.5 MPH so I figured I would dial down

12.60 dial
    .115 / 1.986 / 12.958 / 94.52....another mustang....she missed a shift and good thing for me with that light and 60' combo, I could have been in trouble.

.142 / 1.834 / 12.742 / 98.99....I raced the honda that I lost to the week before in the finals. My light really sucked but my 60' picked up. He really spun, so much so I could hear his tires squealing. This guy rarely makes these mistakes but once I caught him he couldnt do anything with me and the MPH this car can make.

the finals....total operator error....I was matched against a toyota supra (who is now 2nd in points). My terrible lights were in my head and after I did my burnout, me thinking about them was compounded by the starter stopping me and grabbing the mop and spray can to clean up something right at the line. I lost all focus, and when I got staged I pulled up the RPMs and sat there and then said no, gotta rev higher, and just had waaaay too much going on in my head....resulting in the redest redlight I may have ever had in an elim

-.112 /1.872.....as soon as I redlit, I completely bailed on the pass, running about 18 seconds.

so, a good points night, a good result night....but I am going to have a stretch where I am not making these finals and there are some points and cool ass trophies that I am leaving on the table....no racing until next wednesday, I have some house/yard stuff to do this weekend!

video link of the third round against the honda....see how this works

3. 70barcuda

70barcuda Senior Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2014 Core SRT
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    SRT-8
    Color?:
    TorRed
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    Congratulations on moving into first in the points Rob, nice job. :cool:

GARRETTECH likes this.
  4. 245pacer

245pacer Active Member Site Supporter Level 3 MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    SRT
    Trim?:
    SRT-8
    Color?:
    Sublime
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    Good stuff , what happened to your DR's ?
    You know the brown ones :D:D

GARRETTECH likes this.
  5. GARRETTECH

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2014 CHALLENGER
    Trim?:
    R/T Classic
    Color?:
    Jazz Blue Pearl
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    thanks Jon, like I said tho, leavin points on the table that may haunt me. The points are 10 for taking the first elim, then 10 more for winning first round, then 11 for each round after. Its very tight and in one bad week could swing like 4 places in the standings. Weve had 5 races and 4 different winners so far. The guy that won twice is in 4th in points!

I forgot all about that pacer....I kind of left that hanging! So, Jegs was more than willing to take them back.....even after mounting tires and tracking them. They said they grabbed 3 random Racestar Black wheels, put them in the sun, and all 3 had the exact same look. They contacted Racestar and they said it was something to do with the basecoat (duh). So, I said it would be nice if they said that before you bought them which Jegs also agreed with. So Jegs said, how much would it be for me to just keep them. So, I said half price.....then a couple days went by and they called me and said would I take 275 bucks....now, if I kept them I wouldn't have to have relatively new tires unmounted then remounted on the new wheels, no return hassles, don't have to worry about availability (I know they didn't have the polished in stock, and these wheels with this bolt pattern are not available in the gunmetal which is what I would really prefer anyway). So, I told them I thought they were being fair and I would take the 275. Figure I will just keep them and if someday they make this wheel available in the gunmetal I would get that and I can sell these wheels now for like 100 a piece. It really is a direct sunlight shot that is the only time it shows up. Angled sun, shade, night, etc etc they are black as night. As a matter of fact I have only seen it happen 3 times since I got them (but I am also mainly racing at night).....but its definitely there and Im glad Jegs didn't try to poo poo it and took my concerns seriously and actually agreed with me every step of the way....that's why I just took their offer. the wheels cost 680 for the pair, I asked for 340 off, they offered 275 and their offer means Im not spending 50 bucks to unmount and remount the new tires

6. GARRETTECH

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2014 CHALLENGER
    Trim?:
    R/T Classic
    Color?:
    Jazz Blue Pearl
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    THE BROKEN RECORD CONTINUES....4 RUNNER UPS IN MY LAST 4 BRACKET RACES (3 IN A ROW IN THE WEDNESDAY POINTS )

so, this was the classic, 'sometimes its better to be lucky than good! I decided during the week to do something a little different and see how the car would react. I always get Sunoco Ultra, 93 octane with 10% ethanol for my car and when I show up at the track I am usually right around 1/4 tank. The next county over from me has a gas station the sells 91 octane but ethanol free. Since I now work in that county I figured I would give that a try and I ran my car bone dry and filled it up Monday. Problem number one was that Tuesday I couldnt take my car to work because of the weather so when I showed up at the track Wednesday, I had way more gas than usual....almost 3/4 tank....so I was carrying a pretty good amount of weight more than usual. I dont know if it was the gas, the weight, or a combo but the car was off

TIMETRIALS

DA was decent from 1775 at the start of the night to 979 for finals RT / 60' / ET / MPH

.036 / 1.995 / 12.961 / 109.31....this slip really surprised me being that slow so I figured, Im already carrying the weight so I went and got a couple gallons of 105 race gas and drove around the pits like a nascar driver trying to clean off the tires trying to slosh the gas around and get the mixed fuel up to the injectors. In the meantime my buddies mustang broke a rear end so he aired up the tires and nursed the car home.....he made it but the shop told him today that he broke a couple teeth.

.003 / 1.942 / 13.758 / 105.90....i missed the 1-2 shift but my light was off the charts and I got my first bye run of the year for best reaction time of second timetrial (only second timetrial counts for the bye). I figured excellent, I now have a third timetrial since I have no idea what to dial

ELIMS

I threw a 12.80 dial on the car even though it didnt matter first round since I was getting a bye

.091 / 1.910 / 13.940 / 86.14.....well, that is NOT how to take a run with a first round bye. missed the 2-3 shift this time....so now I am really wondering WTH for the dial so I left the 12.80

.160 / 1.891 / 12.925 / 103.88....the RT sucked but his sucked more. Finally had a good 60, and a clean shifting run but still didnt have a clue about the dial since I was way outta the gas....beat a newer camaro on this run

.177 /1.846 / 13.157 / 90.10...once again, my RT sucked but his was off the charts bad, .5xx so I caught him real easy and coasted....beat a 90's mustang this run

to the finals....was racing a new gen ZL1 camaro. pretty fast car and I lost to him in the first round earlier in the year. Last year in the final race of the season he was 4th in points and I was 5th about 5 points behind him and we got matched up in second round....so the winner was going to get 4th for the year and the other was getting 5th. He missed a shift and I beat him.....and then I paid him back

.228 (WTF), 1.908 / 13.700 / 103.01....terrible terrible reaction and then on top of it I missed ANOTHER 2-3 shift, his light wasnt much better with a .180 but I blew it

good news is that I put a bigger cushion in points between me and second place (from 1 point last week to 24 points and 3rd/4th are tied 33 points behind me....made getting a runner up much easier to take. all those guys lost in either the 1st or 2nd round.

The missed shifts bothers me. Im pretty sure its operator error and just a bad lack of rhythm night....but im not going to take any chances. I called tremec and they recommend Mobil 1 dexron III for their transmissions (even though chrysler says dexron VI....so, Im going to get 4 quarts and drain the fluid just to make sure I dont see any chunks coming out, and for this fluid cycle I am going to go with tremecs recommendation. I switched to Royal Purple last M6 I had but that Is pricey. I am thinking, the way Im driving the car, the more reasonable Mobil 1 and I may just make it a much more often change. See how things go.

next week is halfway....week 7 of 14

in the staging lanes
    [​IMG]

7. 245pacer

245pacer Active Member Site Supporter Level 3 MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    SRT
    Trim?:
    SRT-8
    Color?:
    Sublime
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    Still the man to beat . Keep pushing and improving.

8. 70barcuda

70barcuda Senior Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2014 Core SRT
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    SRT-8
    Color?:
    TorRed
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    Seems you did pretty good despite all the problems. :cool: I've had pretty good luck running ethanol free Sunoco fuel but it does sound like you had some kind of an issue there, if it came from a station your not familiar with you never know if it's really the quality advertised. I've known of some stations that added water to their fuel, you know selling water is a much higher profit margin than gas (this is of course unethical but it happens). That said I like to run Sunoco GTX, I think it's 98 octane, unleaded and no ethanol, they also make a nice 100 octane unleaded fuel but it has ethanol.

9. GARRETTECH

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2014 CHALLENGER
    Trim?:
    R/T Classic
    Color?:
    Jazz Blue Pearl
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Yea Jon, thats what I meant by being lucky and not good. Except for the final, I was committing errors when it didnt matter. When I really needed clean passes I did it....but it sure made my dial a challenge. To tell the truth I still dont know if that was a good dial LOL.

The gas I got was from a stewarts chain (all over NY). Finding ethanol free around here is almost impossible. Those Sunoco brands arent even available. The only places I know of are at the track. I am ending that experiment quickly. I will do experimenting after the points season. It wasnt that fair of a test though only because I really did have a ton of gas in the tank.

haha I do like being chased Pacer! I may race sunday in the regular points day for pro and superpro to just put me in my place. they are doubling the payout to 2000 so, for 70 bucks to enter I might go throw my hat in the ring. Definitely a step up in competition. I could also just enter the open trophy, but for that much money Im leaning that way

also.....A WEEK FROM SUNDAY, JUNE 25th IS MOPAR DAY AT ISLAND DRAGWAY.....WHOS GOING????

70barcuda likes this.
  10. Bear

Bear Member

Media:
    Vehicle?:
    2016 Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Scat Pack
    Color?:
    B5 Blue
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto

Maple groove also has their Mopar weekend with Friday being the Modern hemi shootout. I'm looking to make one of these events. Maybe I will see you out there.

GARRETTECH, Parrish and 70barcuda like this.
  11. GARRETTECH

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2014 CHALLENGER
    Trim?:
    R/T Classic
    Color?:
    Jazz Blue Pearl
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Hey Nick, long time!! Since Englishtown with your daughter! I would love to go to Maple Grove but my niece is graduating Saturday....but I am going to be at Island Sunday if your up for that. The time is right too since the gates open at 10 and racing starts at noon....could be a long Saturday LOL.

https://www.challengerforumz.com/th...-dragway-nj-june-25th-2017-whos-going.124755/