Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Magnaflow+reso delete = LOVE

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  djpatrick35 
#1 ·
Well, I finally got this done yesterday morning. And let me apologize for the long-winded post.

Little background story before I address the first thing that comes to peoples mind when it comes to exhaust....DRONE.

Bought my Challenger on 10/05/13. Always been of fan since they first came out and I knew that if I ever bought one, the exhaust would be my first mod. For the past couple of years, there's been this black Challenger running around my area and every time I hear this car, I get goosebumps. I've never been able to get his attention so that I could find out what's he's done.

Now, we've had a long winter/bad winter so for the most part my car has been garaged except for a few nice days here and there. IMO this car is WAY too quiet for being a "muscle car" with a Hemi in it. Getting this changed out has been like a bad itch that I haven't been able to scratch. Well now that we're pretty much done with the snow and the streets are cleaned up, I'm driving my car again.

So I've spent the past five months on YouTube, this forum, other car forums and manufactures websites listening to sound files of different set ups. I mean I have spent hours and hours of research online and the main reason is because there aren't many Challengers running around the Chicago-land area, this time of the year, so I haven't been able to hear other members cars. I will say this is been a little difficult as every video sounded different even with the same set up. I attribute that to what equipment (mostly cell phones and digital cameras) that people are using and I know most of these DO NOT pick up the low frequencies of these exhaust systems.

So this was my criteria (everyone has their own).

Drone: Minimal if none at all. I do a lot of mix driving (city/highway). Want to be able to talk to my wife without screaming and listen to the radio without having to turn it up a lot or have some pounding in my head.

Sound: Wanted a low frequency tone. Don't like that metallic sound or flutter.

Loudness: Wanted it be somewhat tame at idle and cruising but rumble when getting on it.

Cost: Just got one son of out college and getting ready to put another thru so I wasn't planning on going with a full system and spending a lot of money.

So, with that said, I went with Magnaflow and resonator delete based on the feedback and research I did.

The guys at the shop said " now that opened her up " and "now she sounds mean"

When I was in the waiting area, I heard them start the car up and when I heard the sound, I got goosebumps. The mechanic pulled the car out of the bay and goosed the throttle in front of me. Put a HUGE SMILE on my face.

I spent all of yesterday and this morning driving around in the city and on the expressway. Tried in autostick, sport mode, and just regular auto. Cruised slowly, sped up, drove aggressive, did everything I could to hear the exhaust in all situations. Just got to say.. I LOVE IT!!! Made driving the car even more enjoyable.

Now lets address this "DRONE" issue that everyone talks about. I'm not sure that I hear drone. What I hear is .... the exhaust which is exactly what I wanted. I spent 20 minutes just cruising at a very conservative rate and I can honestly say that sometimes I didn't even notice and thats with the radio on a low level. The best thing I love about this set up is that you can totally control how much sound you want with throttle input. Hard to explain in words. You just have to experience it for yourself.

I recorded several videos with my cell phone but it just doesn't sound the same as in person. Like I said, unless you've got some good equipment, phones and cameras don't pick up the low frequencies.

For all of those, with stock exhaust, and on the fence with an exhaust swap.....YOU HAVE TO DO IT. Whether it be, Corsa, Zoomers, Flowmaster, etc, this is a MUST HAVE MODIFICATION.

Can't wait for the April 2014 Chicagoland Meet.

One more thing...ordered my vanity plates too... OGZ HEMI. should be here in a few weeks.

See less See more
#4 ·
Yup...going the Reso Delete + New Mufflers makes a HUGE difference in sound. I have DynoMax's and have very little to no drone since I drive in Autostick Mode all the time. It's the best mod for the money!
CONGRATS!:smileup:

#6 ·
Yup...going the Reso Delete + New Mufflers makes a HUGE difference in sound. I have DynoMax's and have very little to no drone since I drive in Autostick Mode all the time. It's the best mod for the money!
CONGRATS!:smileup:
It was a toss up between Dynomax Ultra Flos and Magnaflows. Unfortunately none of the shops in my area had Dynomax in stock but did have Magnaflows. I was itching to get this done last Saturday so I went with Mags.

I have Magna Flows on mine also. If you think it sounds good now wait until it breaks in!!!
Kool!!!!

I have been thinking about doing the same mod because I don't have much money to buy a full exhaust system. I would really like to hear how your sounds at the Chicagoland Meet 2014 in which I am also attending.
No problem. Well go for a quick cruise. :)

#10 ·
That's exactly the setup that I have and it was the best purchase I have ever made for my Challenger.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.