Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally gave in and took my car to an FCA certified body shop as much to my chagrin...I hate it! I had a long talk with the fixed operations manager at the dealership where it got damaged, and after several calls, including to the home office dealership in Raleigh, I told him the body shop would have to paint the entire left side of the car to ensure the Plum Crazy Pearlcoat would match. There were three variants of the PHG paint code, but the thickness of the clear coat will change the tint/color of the paint. The body shop is going to take the left side apart so there will be no visual evidence it was painted (paint lines, over spray, etc.). So that will be about a 2 - 21/2 week job. The shop estimator knows I am OCD and I told him when I come to get it and I see anything not right, they can expect to do it over. I spoke with a co-worker who is an attorney and they just do not want to go there. The service department entered notes on the original repair order to program the key fob along with the fact that it was damaged while in the service bay by the technician. I am not liking this at all! I'll be a nervous wreck while it's in the shop! The dealership is paying dearly for this one. A $160.00 key fob and $60.00 for programming to cost them nearly $2,000.00 for paint work!

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How does getting a new key fob programmed equate to needing a paint job? What happened?
The technician had my car in the service bay to program the key fob and at some point slung the driver's door open and hit the extension on the end of the lift arm. It resulted in 3 dings at the very lower part of the door straight down from the door handle. it also took off some paint. Because Challenger doors have so much smooth, "flat" area, it's been hard to blend. The body shop said they would have to do the same as if it was an FCA paint warranty claim, which means to paint the entire left side of the car. I'm still pissed and even though it's no money out of my pocket, it's still a PITA and I'm not happy about so much of the car being removed to ensure a seamless paint job. I'm having some apprehension about it.

·
Registered
991 Posts
The technician had my car in the service bay to program the key fob and at some point slung the driver's door open and hit the extension on the end of the lift arm. It resulted in 3 dings at the very lower part of the door straight down from the door handle. it also took off some paint. Because Challenger doors have so much smooth, "flat" area, it's been hard to blend. The body shop said they would have to do the same as if it was an FCA paint warranty claim, which means to paint the entire left side of the car. I'm still pissed and even though it's no money out of my pocket, it's still a PITA and I'm not happy about so much of the car being removed to ensure a seamless paint job. I'm having some apprehension about it.
:( I would be demanding a new (painted) door from the factory. How far you could get with that, I don't know? It arrived as new and should leave the same way.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:( I would be demanding a new (painted) door from the factory. How far you could get with that, I don't know? It arrived as new and should leave the same way.
I'm working on the "as new" part. One of my co-workers is an attorney and a hard core Mopar guy. He's advising me what to do and how to do it!

Reactions: 68Coronet

·
Premium Member
2,257 Posts
Bummer! Really sorry that you are going through this. Keep us posted!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts