Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Longing for spring
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In order to get my new Challenger to pass inspection in Sweden i had to do some adjustments. The Swedish government has in it's wisdom decided that what is considered legal and safe in one of the worlds larges countries (USA) is not good enough for one of the smallest (Sweden). :mad:

To make it pass I have to:
  • Change the amber headlights in the front. The lights have to be white and only in amber when the turn signal is active.
  • Put small amber turn signals on the front fenders.
  • Put new amber turn signals rear. I also have to change the wiring so that the original turn signals/brake light only functions as brake lights.
As I lack knowledge in the field of electrical systems, this will be an exiting journey!

This is some of the stuff i need to do the conversion:

stuff.JPG

The black box in the middle is a "turn-signal splitter". It separates the incomming power for brake-light and turn signals in the rear, making it possible to have it on different lamps. The scary thing is that you have to cut most of the wires to the lights in the rear and connect them in and out of the box. Even more scary is that you have to cut the correct wires :confused:

The you have to have a place to work. Lucky for me, i could use some space at my job. I have worked with several cars and motorcycles in this spot over the years.

garage.JPG

Of course, to get the job done you have to think about the dress-code. It is important to pick the right attire:

t-shirt.JPG

Then you got to get your Challenger naked in the rear. Remove the lamps and all the panels in the trunk for access to the wires and, of course, disconnect the power.

naked.JPG

I found a good spot for the magic box and started to cut and connect all the existing wires to it. I also connected wires for my new turn signals. It looks kind of messy but i wanted long wires so i could tuck them away somewhere when the job was done.

box-in-place.JPG

As the new turn signals is LED and consumes less power than the original bulbs i have to use resitors. without them the system will think that a bulb is out and start hyper-flashing. These resistors get hot and have to be mounted on metal. I found a good spot for them.

resistors.JPG

In order to get the brake-lights to work with this setup you have to feed the box with the signal from the center brake-light in the rear window. A real pain! Doing this part of the job i wished that i was younger and thinner!

rear-window.JPG

Mounted my new turn signals underneath the rear lights. For this i am using strong double-sided tape for now so i can make adjustments later.

glued-signal.JPG

Testing. The damn thing actually works! I must have done something right after all.

blinking-light.JPG

Now it is time to work on the front. The most scary part was drilling holes in the front fenders for the small turn signals.

hole.JPG

It turned out ok. This is the smallest, still legal, turn signals you can get.

blinker.JPG

Connected power to them from the front turn signals and also mounted the resistors for the new Switchback LEDs for the parking light. These will glow white for the parking light and flash amber when the turn signal is activated.

switchback-mounted.JPG

And the Darwin-award goes to Sweden!!!!! Did you noticed the spot i choosed for the resistors?
I got wiser when i tried to put the plastic covers back on :oops::oops::oops:

stupid-plastic.JPG

Stupid, stupid!!! I picked a new spot under the cover. Good thing is that the plastic covers hides the resistors and the extra wires from sight.

Final test and everything is working, thank God! The whole project took me about 15 hours, half of that time devoted to wondering what wire to cut and constantly dropping my reading glasses into the trunk when i was bending over.

Thanks to forum members who helped me finding wiring diagrams! I could not have done this without your help.The parts costed me about $400. Doing the job myself saved me $1500, that is what the shops usually charges for labor on a conversion like this.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
10,230 Posts
Great DIY, Bjorn! Truly inspiring to see a member tackle a job like this and share the experience with the rest of the forum. All of this effort done to own the most badassed car in Sweden must make the final result even sweeter!

What happened to your rear license plate? It looks like you tried to pull it off (frustration?) ;)

·
Dazed & Confused
36,953 Posts
Good job on that! I have the switchbacks on mine but also run the DRLs which are yellow (turn circuit) unless the headlamps are on.

·
Longing for spring
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great DIY, Bjorn! Truly inspiring to see a member tackle a job like this and share the experience with the rest of the forum. All of this effort done to own the most badassed car in Sweden must make the final result even sweeter!

What happened to your rear license plate? It looks like you tried to pull it off (frustration?) ;)
Thanks John. Frustration was a big part of the project, especially when i, by mistake, connected the resistors to the side turn signals instead of the Switchback-LEDs. I did not take that anger out on the license plate, the temporary plate is to long and i had to bend it. The real plates will be smaller.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
55,190 Posts
Well congrats on a successful operation, yikes that was a heck of a forced mod, not as fun as an upgrade mod.

Reactions: Lyle

·
Dazed & Confused
36,953 Posts
Oh, just a bit of info as I assume you don't have the DRLs activated. On the cars made for the US the DRL is the high circuit (turn) so the yellow will burn with the switchbacks. On cars made for Canada they use the low circuit (park/running) so the white will burn. So if you decide to turn them on you will need to make sure your car was made as a Canada car or you'll have an issue. Not sure if they make any specific ones for overseas.

·
Longing for spring
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh, just a bit of info as I assume you don't have the DRLs activated. On the cars made for the US the DRL is the high circuit (turn) so the yellow will burn with the switchbacks. On cars made for Canada they use the low circuit (park/running) so the white will burn. So if you decide to turn them on you will need to make sure your car was made as a Canada car or you'll have an issue. Not sure if they make any specific ones for overseas.
Thanks for the info. I did not know that. I will for sure keep that in mind.

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
Phew!!!! Wow Bjorn! I'm exhausted from reading all of that! Geez, now I know why the Volvo is the safest car on the planet!
Good job!!!

·
Longing for spring
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Phew!!!! Wow Bjorn! I'm exhausted from reading all of that! Geez, now I know why the Volvo is the safest car on the planet!
Good job!!!
Thanks Susie. At least Volvo must be the car with the most number of wires ;)

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
29,123 Posts
Phew, I feel like I just went through an electricity/electronics class!!! Man, Bjorn, that was a great pic tutorial of the process. The good: you definitely had a learning adventure and satisfaction of doing this yourself. The bad: government making stupid rules for no good reason!!! Great job buddy!!!

Reactions: Sweden

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,858 Posts
Good Job, Bjorn. It's amazing what we do to drive our favorite cars!!!

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Nice right up Bjorn, sucks you had to go through it but at least its done and you learned some things along the way.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts