Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just need some opinions on this. Coming home from town today, my MIL came on. It wasn't flashing, stayed on for the 30 minute drive home. I called my service dept. in Rapid City right away. They want to just do a check on it, said it was okay to drive it. They were telling me they couldn't get me in until next Tuesday, but I have to drive it to a wedding in Wyoming this weekend. I reminded them that I have the business link coverage which says you get immediate bay service. They then rescheduled my appointment for Thursday morning.
I don't believe it is a problem with poor fuel, I use pure gas, 91 octane, and have been using the same stations since I have had the car. Any ideas on what this could be???

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,513 Posts
Without running a code, Betty, it could be a number of things. Is there an Advance or AutoZone near you you can get to read the codes?

Reactions: MommaBetty

·
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dan my answer to that is uh NO! VERY rural here. I will have to drive it to the dealer on Thursday, and if the light goes off, they won't be able to tell anything! I went into the local Big A auto parts store today, just wanted to get a clay bar kit. They never heard of clay bar kits!! I had to explain to them what they are used for and why! So no, no Autozone or Advance around here. Dan can you give some of those number of things??

·
Registered
243 Posts
Dan my answer to that is uh NO! VERY rural here. I will have to drive it to the dealer on Thursday, and if the light goes off, they won't be able to tell anything! I went into the local Big A auto parts store today, just wanted to get a clay bar kit. They never heard of clay bar kits!! I had to explain to them what they are used for and why! So no, no Autozone or Advance around here. Dan can you give some of those number of things??
Even if the light goes off the code is stored until it is cleared through a reader, so they'll be able to tell what it is. Without having the code it's really hard to speculate, but a couple of things to ask:

• Any difference in driving experience?
  • Any recent work done?
  • Any warnings in your EVIC (not sure all cars provide this)?
  • Fill up your gas recently? Check your gas cap?

·
12,989 Posts
That could be anything Betty, more than likely its nothing serious if your not noticing anything different, I'm sure your dealer will get to the bottom of it.

·
Challenger Old Guy...
6,527 Posts
Challenger will tell you what its issue is....

Hey guys, I just need some opinions on this. Coming home from town today, my MIL came on. It wasn't flashing, stayed on for the 30 minute drive home. I called my service dept. in Rapid City right away. They want to just do a check on it, said it was okay to drive it. They were telling me they couldn't get me in until next Tuesday, but I have to drive it to a wedding in Wyoming this weekend. I reminded them that I have the business link coverage which says you get immediate bay service. They then rescheduled my appointment for Thursday morning.
I don't believe it is a problem with poor fuel, I use pure gas, 91 octane, and have been using the same stations since I have had the car. Any ideas on what this could be???
Mrs Betty;

First off you need to identify the issue and your Challenger can tell you this
so look at this tip link below;

Top Challenger Tips'n Tricks #1 [FONT=&quot]How to Display and Decode Diagnostic Trouble Codes:

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Once you have retrieved the code you can then look it up on the trouble
code index list and you will see what the issue is. Some codes will require
a two step reset process (engine on/off cycles) for resetting (EVAP SYSTEM)
and a simple issue like a loose gas cap can throw a check engine light.

Follow the tip and see what your issue is and then see action needed.

:smileup:

[/FONT]

·
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much you guys for all the helpful tips/ideas!! I feel much better after your responses. Nothing seemed amiss on the way home. Oil pressure, temp., driving experience was normal. You guys are great!!! Will just have to see what they say. I will post here with the conclusion to this.

·
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Betty did you have any luck trying Marv's tip above ?
Art, I just looked at that tip and maybe I will give it a try in the morning. I just got done with supper and right before that I mowed about an acre of yard. It looks like rain coming again here, so I needed to keep up with that darn yard mowing! Didn't have time to check into this tonight. I am pretty bushed anyway. Rather try when I am a little more rested.
The funny thing is that the service rep. said they wouldn't be able to tell what the problem was if the light went off. That is not what you guys are saying. It is supposed to be stored so they should still be able to tell???? They were the last ones to touch my car on May 28th. They changed the oil and the air filter. My routine with the car has been exactly the same. No different gas, etc.

Also, when he first told me they couldn't get me in right away, I mentioned that I had the business link coverage. I told him that means you are supposed to get priority service. He said we have 5 customers waiting who have this same coverage. However he then changed his tune and gave me an earlier appointment on Thursday. I don't really need to drive my car until then, so I may just wait and have them do the checking. What is nice to have you guys give me a heads up about this. Especially about the "stored" info. Thanks again everyone!

·
Premium Member
18,464 Posts
You do put in a full day Betty. If you can get the code in the morning,post it up and I'm sure someone will identify it for you.Marv's Tips and Tricks has a listing also. Either way you will be much better off knowing the code and what it stands for if you need to take it back to the dealer.
Good luck !

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,639 Posts
Betty, did you check the gas cap as mentioned above?

·
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Betty, did you check the gas cap as mentioned above?
You know, I did that earlier before I posted, but this time I actually removed it and tightened it. Maybe I just thought it was secure. I will see in the morning about those codes. Thanks Corbin for making me go check it again!

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,639 Posts
You know, I did that earlier before I posted, but this time I actually removed it and tightened it. Maybe I just thought it was secure. I will see in the morning about those codes. Thanks Corbin for making me go check it again!
Well it is an easy check and they will set off a light.Hopefully it is nothing major and just a hiccup.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The funny thing is that the service rep. said they wouldn't be able to tell what the problem was if the light went off. That is not what you guys are saying. It is supposed to be stored so they should still be able to tell???? They were the last ones to touch my car on May 28th. They changed the oil and the air filter. My routine with the car has been exactly the same. No different gas, etc.
Oddly enough, my first check engine light came on the day after my first oil change, done by the dealer. It went back to the dealer a number of times: random misfires, irregular idle, O2 issues. They replaced a number of things successively, ultimately replacing the entire exhaust, but the check engine light came right back on. They finished the exhaust work on a Friday, and I said I needed my car for the weekend, so I picked it up with the promise to return it on Monday after they spoke with Chrysler for further recommendations.

Well ... over that weekend I went to my first autocross in Jazzmyn. Flogged the snot out of her. At some point during one of my 5 runs the check engine light went out and hasn't come back on since. :4-dontknow:

·
<<< Bending Time & Space >>>
16,093 Posts
Some codes are stored and some are not. It all depends if it's a "soft" or "hard" code that was set if the light goes back off.

·
801 RWHP
8,517 Posts
Betty, you might really want to think about trying the tip to get to the bottom of the code yourself. Just in case, in the off chance, you get the new guy checking it and he doesn't do something right and cant find the stored code and clears it. Now you cant get it. So just for peace of mind. I only had two cents on me, but their yours.:4-wavey:

·
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Betty, you might really want to think about trying the tip to get to the bottom of the code yourself. Just in case, in the off chance, you get the new guy checking it and he doesn't do something right and cant find the stored code and clears it. Now you cant get it. So just for peace of mind. I only had two cents on me, but their yours.:4-wavey:
What worries me is wonder if I DO SOMETHING wrong, and can't find the stored code and clear it! I am still pondering this decision this morning. Awwww......computers ain't they great.

Starting to long for a 1970 Challenger.

·
Challenger Old Guy...
6,527 Posts
DTC code retrieval

What worries me is wonder if I DO SOMETHING wrong, and can't find the stored code and clear it! I am still pondering this decision this morning. Awwww......computers ain't they great.
MommaBetty;

Follow the tip exactly as it is explained. You will need, if you use the "push
button" start on your dash, as you will need to pop the button cap off and
use your FOBIK as a "key" in the ignition and cycle the key in the sequence
given. The latest stored code will be displayed on your instrument panel.

You might want to familiarize yourself with the simple process so that you
can always asked the Challenger what its is problem when you get a Check
Engine light.

For those with OBD-II code readers, you can pull up the last four stored
codes and reset/clear those that use a single step reset process. You have
a bit more flexibility with the newer handheld units. Also they prices of these
have dropped dramatically over the years and you can purchase one with
additional options for monitoring.

Reactions: jklotz10

·
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay guys, let the games begin. The code was P0520!! Any ideas???

1 - 20 of 49 Posts