Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to owning a manual vehicle and ive been nervouse about ahifting my car into 5th gear because i cant tell the difference between 5th and reverse. This is probably a stupid question, but i dont want to mess my car up, any tips? Does it lock you out of revers while going forward?

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
did you take lessons before you bought the car? what year is your car? do you know how many gears you have? i am not being funny or trying to make fun of you, but, unless you have an older challenger, you probably have at least a 6 speed, in which case, your shifter should be up to the left for 1st, then down, then up a little bit for 3rd, then down, then up a little more for 5th and then down for 6 and reverse should be all the way to the right and down. so, unless you are just throwing your arms around, you shouldn't be worried. but, if you did not take lessons to learn, sit in your car and learn where the gears are. and, just to answer your question, it does not lock you out of reverse. you shift into reverse at speed, you will destroy your transmission, at the very least, and crash badly, at the worst. don't drive your car until you learn the shift pattern. for your safety, and everybody else's
sorry, just realized i told you the wrong thing, it is over and up for reverse, not down, sorry about that. was thinking of my corvette

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
I have a 2014 with a 6 speed, i know how to drive a manual ive done it before just not alot, and reverse is up and to the right torwards the passenger
yeah, i realized just as i hit post that i was thinking of the wrong car

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts
There is a lock-out solenoid that prevents going into reverse above 3mph.
That's correct. The driver can't even move the shift lever over to the reverse gate. You will only get 5th or 6th gear.
Other transmissions have had similar features. The NV4500 in my chevy pickup locked out reverse and 1st gear above 3 MPH because 1st was a granny gear.
Audio equipment Automotive lighting Gas Fire alarm system Sports equipment

Yea, that's the original shift knob from my Challenger.
-John

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus in Granite Crystal Metallic
2,260 Posts
Sit in the car with engine OFF and run through the gears to get used to the pattern. You'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
2021 R/T Scat Pack Shaker Widebody
3,101 Posts
When I got my Challenger, it had been 30 years since I had driven a manual. It's like riding a bike. You get out of practice but never forget. Just drive it and take it slow until your confidence level builds.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Howdy. Yes practice and for me a tall ice tea glass allowed me to figure out where 3rd is. My right arm is now trained. This might change after I purchase a Barton, we will see how much I spend on fireworks as to when I change the shifter. Ha. Ha.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Neat thing about a V8 with a manual is it's easy to get it rolling the not neat thing is the amount of damage you can do in a short time. Don't rest your foot on or ride the clutch and apparently you're not supposed to rest your hand on the gearshift either. Not sure you have to worry about a fast shift into 5th or down into 6th in normal driving but be aware of the skip shift "feature" which under certain conditions forces you from 1st to 4th (good idea to disable this especially with no warranty still in place).

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
984 Posts
Im new to owning a manual vehicle and ive been nervouse about ahifting my car into 5th gear because i cant tell the difference between 5th and reverse. This is probably a stupid question, but i dont want to mess my car up, any tips? Does it lock you out of revers while going forward?

Welcome to the ForumZ. Congratulations on joining the Save The Manuals movement!

Yes, there is a solenoid that will prevent you from shifting into Reverse while you're moving forward.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts