Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are any of these performance gains or just all for louder exhaust, etc? I've used dynomax super turbo's for longer than I can remember, even when everyone was running the Flowmasters. I like the mellow tone of the super turbos and the fact that they flow quite well. Obviously the race bullets would be better flow wise but what kind of gains are you seeing over the stock mufflers?

·
Premium Member
2,371 Posts
I am responding because of the words "Performance Gains", and what I have discovered that may benefit you.

First off I don't own a 6.4L my 2015 is a 5.7L and it did not have stock exhaust on it when I bought it, it had a Flowmaster Cat Back system with the Super 40 mufflers no resonator.

The Super 40 muffler is a chambered muffler it flows pretty good, but is a restrictive type of muffler, and had serious drone inside the car at around 2,000rpm plus or minus. But once I started my upgrades I became more concerned for performance, over sound, so since I knew I would eventually decide on a new cat back system.

I decided to in simple terms to butcher up my exhaust and use it to experiment with and the cheapest way to do that was to simply replace the Super 40 mufflers with 24" Cherry Bomb glass packs.

I used my Challengers built in 0 ~ 60 timer to test performance changes in the exhaust.

Comparing the chambered Super 40s to the glass packs, the Cherry Bomb yielded a better 0 ~ 60 time, and sounded much better as well with a deeper bass sound with no raspy sound that the chambered muffler has.

But the performance difference was what had my attention, so I researched which Cat Back systems actually had glass pack flow through mufflers, and ended up going with a Magnaflow Cat Back Competition system with no regrets.

Since the Magnaflow setup came with only 12" open flow mufflers vs the 24" that I experimented with, I was concerned they would be too loud, but they are not, because Magnaflows True X crossover has a sound canceling effect, but the Magnaflows 0 ~ 60 performance time is even better than the 24" Cherry Bomb glass packs.

Now during my experimentation since my car came with the Flowmaster instead of stock and had no resonators, I added a set of 8" glass packs as tailpipe resonators, they killed almost .5 off the 0 ~ 60 time seriously hurting the performance, so I couldn't get them off fast enough.

I hope sharing this helps you, Thanks! Ry

I forgot to add the Magnaflow system the quietest it will ever be is the day you install it, over time it gets pleasingly louder especially when you flat floor it, it sounds awesome!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am responding because of the words "Performance Gains", and what I have discovered that may benefit you.

First off I don't own a 6.4L my 2015 is a 5.7L and it did not have stock exhaust on it when I bought it, it had a Flowmaster Cat Back system with the Super 40 mufflers no resonator.

The Super 40 muffler is a chambered muffler it flows pretty good, but is a restrictive type of muffler, and had serious drone inside the car at around 2,000rpm plus or minus. But once I started my upgrades I became more concerned for performance, over sound, so since I knew I would eventually decide on a new cat back system.

I decided to in simple terms to butcher up my exhaust and use it to experiment with and the cheapest way to do that was to simply replace the Super 40 mufflers with 24" Cherry Bomb glass packs.

I used my Challengers built in 0 ~ 60 timer to test performance changes in the exhaust.

Comparing the chambered Super 40s to the glass packs, the Cherry Bomb yielded a better 0 ~ 60 time, and sounded much better as well with a deeper bass sound with no raspy sound that the chambered muffler has.

But the performance difference was what had my attention, so I researched which Cat Back systems actually had glass pack flow through mufflers, and ended up going with a Magnaflow Cat Back Competition system with no regrets.

Since the Magnaflow setup came with only 12" open flow mufflers vs the 24" that I experimented with, I was concerned they would be too loud, but they are not, because Magnaflows True X crossover has a sound canceling effect, but the Magnaflows 0 ~ 60 performance time is even better than the 24" Cherry Bomb glass packs.

Now during my experimentation since my car came with the Flowmaster instead of stock and had no resonators, I added a set of 8" glass packs as tailpipe resonators, they killed almost .5 off the 0 ~ 60 time seriously hurting the performance, so I couldn't get them off fast enough.

I hope sharing this helps you, Thanks! Ry

I forgot to add the Magnaflow system the quietest it will ever be is the day you install it, over time it gets pleasingly louder especially when you flat floor it, it sounds awesome!

Excellent input, thanks for the response. Disappointing there have been no other responses. I came from a Tundra which obviously is night and day difference given weight and HP, etc. But the part that still gets me is the "expert" in the Tundra field telling me that the Tundra 5.7L engine tuning is "Magic" and putting dual exhaust would hinder the performance unless it happened to be his dual exhaust system. Of course I built my own and picked up a decent amount with a nice throaty sound which is what I am looking to do on the challenger as well. I love the Dynomax super turbo's sound. Yes they are chambered but they still generally outflow stock OEM mufflers. I guess I'm really after whether or not the super turbo's will outflow or be equal to the OEM mufflers.

·
Vendor
16 Posts
We have dyno tested our mid muffler delete for the 5.7L and got about a 6-7 HP gain. Within the next few weeks we will be testing our delete kit for the 6.4L and will post the results on here. When developing our kits, our initial reasoning was not to increase horsepower, just the exhaust note. I know Engine Masters did a great episode comparing chambered, turbo, and straight flow mufflers. No surprise that the straight flow won. That tells you that a set of chambered, turbo, or straight flow will not outperform your stock mufflers since they are already a straight flow design.

Another thing to consider is weight. If you're chasing faster times, you want to lose weight wherever you can. I just weighed a set of stock 6.4L mufflers and they are 12 pounds, versus our kit being 7.5 pounds. A set of aftermarket mufflers you're looking at about 10 pounds each. 2017+ 5.7L share the same mufflers now as the 6.4L. If you have a 2005-2016 5,7L, the stock mufflers weigh about 25 pounds and are not a straight flow design! On those our kit weighs about 9 pounds.

So when modifying your exhaust, there are a few things you need to ask yourself. Is this for performance or exhaust tone? How long do you plan on keeping your car? Do you plan on doing a full exhaust in the future? What do you want to spend? Do you like your neighbors?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts