Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all Ok I am new to the new manual trans in our Scat, I have abused the A833 trans in older Mopars but I have never missed a shift like I did tonight. In sport mode Not really laying (shifting at around 5) into it I couldn't find third, is this the "skip gear" crap. My question is will the Barton shifter fix this or do I need that other fix to allow me to select the gear that I want? Just a pre thank you for you answers, Bob

·
Registered
2012 Challenger R/T plus, 6spd
107 Posts
If you ever installed a Hurst short throw shifter and noticed an improvement then you will appreciate the comment from Speedy at Speedy's Garage:
"It is as much of an upgrade over the Hurst, as the Hurst was over the stock shifter. If you're looking for a shifter upgrade for you M6 Challenger, look no futther."

·
Premium Member
2021 R/T Scat Pack Shaker Widebody
3,124 Posts
No not the skip shift. If you are new to it, give it some time. When I got mine, I had not driven a manual for decades. I fumbled with the gears at first but that went away as I got used to it. My dealer told me a Barton could cause warranty issues so I just put a short throw lever on it. That helped allot and I almost never fumble with it anymore.

·
Politically correct.
'09 SRT 440 HEMI
11,878 Posts
A mechanical shifter itself won't prevent the "skip-shift" event. You need a electrical harness for that.

Reactions: SKT PK 9 Man

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
988 Posts
Howdy all Ok I am new to the new manual trans in our Scat, I have abused the A833 trans in older Mopars but I have never missed a shift like I did tonight. In sport mode Not really laying (shifting at around 5) into it I couldn't find third, is this the "skip gear" crap. My question is will the Barton shifter fix this or do I need that other fix to allow me to select the gear that I want? Just a pre thank you for you answers, Bob
Bob,

Welcome to the neighborhood. I'm glad to see that you're out enjoying your Scat as Dodge intended .... just having fun!

It wasn't too many months after I got my '15 Challenger SRT 392 in 2017 that I decided to move forward with getting the Barton Shifter. All it took was one aggressive blast up a l-o-n-g ramp to get on I-95 when my 2nd to 3rd shift damn near turned into a 2nd to 1st shift. :oops: I ordered the shifter the next day.

The Barton shifter is incredibly well-engineered. At first I thought it might be TOO well-engineered for daily driving. The centering springs make for very confident 2nd to 3rd shifts but also require a little more effort for the 4th to 5th shift. But ... after a week or so, I came to really appreciate the shifter and now all of the shifts feel very natural.

The Skip Shift "feature" requires a certain set of conditions to activate.

The Skip Shift Eliminator from Speedlogix is probably the best $20+/- that I've spent on my car.

Owner's Manual said:
This occurs when the engine coolant (antifreeze) is higher than 106°F (41°C), vehicle speed is greater than 19 mph (30 km/h) but less than 21 mph (34 km/h), and the transmission is in first gear, and the accelerator is at 1⁄4 throttle or less.

Reactions: Nightbringer

·
Registered
2015 Sublime Pearl SRT 392 6M
46 Posts
Count me in the skip shift eliminator and Barton crowd. The eliminator was my first mod. After I got forced into shifting to 4th in the middle of a busy intersection, I knew that thing had to go! It was under $20 and took longer to jack the car up than it did to install.

The Barton was my 2nd mod and what a difference it made. I bought my car used, and the factory shifter was extremely sloppy. Several times I nearly put it in the wrong gear at the worst time. The Barton isn't cheap, but it's worth every penny.

·
Registered
211 Posts
If my new scat pack ever gets here I’ll be be putting the Barton in it as soon as I get the car home from the dealer. Took the Barton out of my current car and I don’t like driving it at all with the stock shifter.

·
Premium Member
3,124 Posts
If my new scat pack ever gets here I’ll be be putting the Barton in it as soon as I get the car home from the dealer. Took the Barton out of my current car and I don’t like driving it at all with the stock shifter.
My dealer told me if I modified the drive train in any way my warranty could be voided. The shifter is considered (according to him) part of the drive train. Does that concern you?

·
Registered
211 Posts
My dealer told me if I modified the drive train in any way my warranty could be voided. The shifter is considered (according to him) part of the drive train. Does that concern you?
Not at all. I think your dealer was blowing smoke. The Barton shifter would be less likely to cause any damage, it’s almost impossible to hit the wrong gear. Who told you that? A sales guy?

·
Premium Member
3,124 Posts
Not at all. I think your dealer was blowing smoke. The Barton shifter would be less likely to cause any damage, it’s almost impossible to hit the wrong gear. Who told you that? A sales guy?
Nope, Service Director. I know it's BS just like you. But, this guy controls the purse strings and I'm not getting in the ring with him. Luke, at Steve White Motors, also advised me not to do it unless I was willing to give up my warranty. I will listen to the Guru and take his advice.

·
Premium Member
3,124 Posts
Your dealer is a clown, the shifter has nothing to do with the drivetrain, you buy your car from Mickey Mouse?
Both dealers within 2 hours of me said the same thing. Yes, it's bull squeeze. But I'm not ready to hire a lawyer and go to court over it.

·
Registered
2012 Challenger R/T plus, 6spd
107 Posts
Magnuson Act from the 70s allows modifications. Your dealer is trying to scare you.

·
Premium Member
3,124 Posts
Magnuson Act from the 70s allows modifications. Your dealer is trying to scare you.
Yeah, I hear that BS all the time. But when they deny a claim and refuse to fix your car, what the hell options do you have? Go to court, that's what. Ain't going to a court battle. No, I will listen to an expert like Luke. If he says "Don't do it", I'm listening.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
988 Posts
I agree with @SKT PK 9 Man ... the dealer holds the purse strings and, yes, you can fight it. But is it worth it? Probably not.

I still chose to install a Barton shifter. And I did so with my eyes wide open.

I'm fortunate that I have a somewhat performance-minded Service Director who likes the way the car feels with the Barton Shifter. I'm keenly aware that if he moves on ... all bets are off.

IF ... you have a drivetrain problem while the Barton is in your car, I would think that they could only deny a claim on the transmission. Not the WHOLE drivetrain.

But as is the case with most thing in life ... it's the Golden Rule. He who has the gold makes the rules.

Reactions: SKT PK 9 Man

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yeah, I hear that BS all the time. But when they deny a claim and refuse to fix your car, what the hell options do you have? Go to court, that's what. Ain't going to a court battle. No, I will listen to an expert like Luke. If he says "Don't do it", I'm listening.
But, you admittedly changed "part" of your factory shifter so your crappy dealer "can" deny your warranty already. Funny you say Luke said the same bs about a shifter causing warranty issues, the same Luke that has quoted on these forums that it will not cause those types of issues.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Howdy Thank you for the replies. First order of business will be a new wind shield, It has the original one, with the Challenger outline in the corner. I thought that was neat. Next will be a new shifter. About replacing the shifter voiding the warranty. I have a question Is the shifter covered under the "powertrain warranty"? If not than I would think that it could be changed without penalty. Just my 2cents. Bob

·
Premium Member
3,124 Posts
But, you admittedly changed "part" of your factory shifter so your crappy dealer "can" deny your warranty already. Funny you say Luke said the same bs about a shifter causing warranty issues, the same Luke that has quoted on these forums that it will not cause those types of issues.
Yes, my shorter shift lever is from Speed Dawgs. Bought it before I knew that Mopar offers the same thing or I would have bought the Mopar part. And yes, the service manager at my dealer is such a jerk he may give me some grief over it but I think it would fly under the radar. He specifically told me if I put a Barton on all bets are off on warranty, so I know I have a battle there I am not willing to start. Especially when he can say I had been warned not to do it. The Barton, among other things, changes the spring pressure on the transmission so it absolutely affects the drive train, specifically the transmission.
Show me the quote from Luke that states mods won't affect warranty. I've never seen it. However, I have seen a post from him that said in quote, "If you are concerned with your warranty, Don't mod it!"
I am going to heed that warning. Are all you people who say I am being overly cautious going to pay my repair bill when my claim is denied.....nope, it will just be crickets. Or a self righteous boast about how I should seek legal counsel which is exactly what I am trying to avoid.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The Barton, among other things, changes the spring pressure on the transmission so it absolutely affects the drive train, specifically the transmission.
The stiffer centering springs only act on the shifter and how it feels, not the transmission. And with a shorter throw there is less force on the linkage arm on the transmission for a given input force. In other words, you can jam the gears harder with the longer stock shifter lever. And the slop in the stock shifter makes it more likely you’ll get into the wrong “gate”, combine that with the mechanical advantage of the longer stock lever and you can jam 3rd when you intended to grab 5th.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts