Dodge Challenger Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes, my shorter shift lever is from Speed Dawgs. Bought it before I knew that Mopar offers the same thing or I would have bought the Mopar part. And yes, the service manager at my dealer is such a jerk he may give me some grief over it but I think it would fly under the radar. He specifically told me if I put a Barton on all bets are off on warranty, so I know I have a battle there I am not willing to start. Especially when he can say I had been warned not to do it. The Barton, among other things, changes the spring pressure on the transmission so it absolutely affects the drive train, specifically the transmission.
Show me the quote from Luke that states mods won't affect warranty. I've never seen it. However, I have seen a post from him that said in quote, "If you are concerned with your warranty, Don't mod it!"
I am going to heed that warning. Are all you people who say I am being overly cautious going to pay my repair bill when my claim is denied.....nope, it will just be crickets. Or a self righteous boast about how I should seek legal counsel which is exactly what I am trying to avoid.
I never said he stated "mods" won't effect warranty, but he did post a couple specific ones that will not, one being a shifter install.

Rectangle Font Screenshot Software Technology

Reactions: R/T-Randy

·
Premium Member
2021 R/T Scat Pack Shaker Widebody
3,101 Posts
The stiffer centering springs only act on the shifter and how it feels, not the transmission. And with a shorter throw there is less force on the linkage arm on the transmission for a given input force. In other words, you can jam the gears harder with the longer stock shifter lever. And the slop in the stock shifter makes it more likely you’ll get into the wrong “gate”, combine that with the mechanical advantage of the longer stock lever and you can jam 3rd when you intended to grab 5th.
Oh, I get it and understand the advantages. It's why I asked my service director about installing one. That's not the point. Maintaining my warranty in the face of an uncooperative dealer is.

·
Premium Member
3,101 Posts
I never said he stated "mods" won't effect warranty, but he did post a couple specific ones that will not, one being a shifter install.

View attachment 298102
Although I can't find it, I have seen him post just the opposite. Maybe here he is referring to their shop and the other time he was referring to an uncooperative dealer. I don't know.
Bottom line is, he's not my dealer. Wish he was. I have to deal with what I have.

Reactions: bandit992

·
Premium Member
2012 Challenger R/T Classic 5.7L,Kook LT,Borla ATAK,Comp 270 cam,Hellcat valve train,AiraidCAI
682 Posts
Although I can't find it, I have seen him post just the opposite. Maybe here he is referring to their shop and the other time he was referring to an uncooperative dealer. I don't know.
Bottom line is, he's not my dealer. Wish he was. I have to deal with what I have.
Your experience has made me reconsider the Barton mod. Before I do the install, I think I'll go to my dealers service mgr. and find out what they have to say about it and possibly get it in writing.

·
Premium Member
3,101 Posts
Your experience has made me reconsider the Barton mod. Before I do the install, I think I'll go to my dealers service mgr. and find out what they have to say about it and possibly get it in writing.
I would be very interested in what they say. If I can get enough anecdotal evidence, I may go argue with my dealer again.

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger 392 T/A 6 speed
302 Posts
Howdy all Ok I am new to the new manual trans in our Scat, I have abused the A833 trans in older Mopars but I have never missed a shift like I did tonight. In sport mode Not really laying (shifting at around 5) into it I couldn't find third, is this the "skip gear" crap. My question is will the Barton shifter fix this or do I need that other fix to allow me to select the gear that I want? Just a pre thank you for you answers, Bob
If you were in sport mode, then it wasn't skip shift. Skip shift doesn't activate in sport or track modes. I alawys drive my car in track mode, so I don't see the need of a skip shift eliminator.

·
Premium Member
2012 Challenger R/T Classic 5.7L,Kook LT,Borla ATAK,Comp 270 cam,Hellcat valve train,AiraidCAI
682 Posts
Talked to service mgr. at Auto Nation where I bought my R/T and asked about installing a Barton short throw assy. on my 2021 and how it will effect the warranty. After a short conversation she said that it's all a matter of interpretation by the individual making the decision. She feels that as long as her tech. can assure her that the warranty issue isn't related to the mod, then she would be ok with it. She pointed out that, the contract states that, such a mod could viod, not would void and that's the gray area that leaves it up to the service mgr.

·
Registered
2012 Challenger R/T plus, 6spd
107 Posts
Well, I have had mine installed for years and love it. It is an awesome upgrade and when I had my car tuned the dyno tech commented how precise and short the shifter was, he had never experienced a Challenger like it!

I had many miles on my trans before I installed the Barton. I was experiencing some issues going into 3rd with spirited driving, the Barton did not change or fix that so I suspect I had started to wear out my syncros. That could be in my opinion the only thing a Barton shifter could cause, yet it was pre-existing in my case.

There has been no additional wear on the trans that I can tell that I would attribute to my Barton shifter. I recommend you install it, the risk you are going to have to make a powertrain claim as a result is slim to nil IMO.

But you will enjoy each and every shift every time you drive the car, I see more value in that. More smiles!

Reactions: doc440

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
As I told the service mgr. If it causes a problem with the warranty I'll just put the OEM shifter back on, will it be back in warranty? She just shrugged her shoulders, good question, she said.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
2,694 Posts
As I told the service mgr. If it causes a problem with the warranty I'll just put the OEM shifter back on, will it be back in warranty? She just shrugged her shoulders, good question, she said.
Not to put too fine a point on it but you admitted to considering committing fraud to help get a warranty claim honored and and asking the service manager if she would be ok with this?

I doubt she would as it could put her job in jeopardy.

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Not to put too fine a point on it but you admitted to considering committing fraud to help get a warranty claim honored and and asking the service manager if she would be ok with this?

I doubt she would as it could put her job in jeopardy.
That is a fine point, but, I believe that if the shifter is not a part of the problem, either OEM or MOD, it's not part of the problem. As an aside to your fine point; if one were to one day pull the OEM off and install something else and drive it around for a couple of days, only to decide they don't like it and put the OEM back on. Later they have a warranty issue unrelated to the shifter or trans. would they be committing fraud by not fessin-up?
I think her response, a shrug and "that's a good question", pretty much sums it up. If I know about it your warranty is toast, if I don't know about it, I really didn't see a problem with the MOD.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
2,694 Posts
That is a fine point, but, I believe that if the shifter is not a part of the problem, either OEM or MOD, it's not part of the problem. As an aside to your fine point; if one were to one day pull the OEM off and install something else and drive it around for a couple of days, only to decide they don't like it and put the OEM back on. Later they have a warranty issue unrelated to the shifter or trans. would they be committing fraud by not fessin-up?
I think her response, a shrug and "that's a good question", pretty much sums it up. If I know about it your warranty is toast, if I don't know about it, I really didn't see a problem with the MOD.
No where in the warranty fine print does it state what is covered or not covered depends upon what the car owner believes is or is not the problem.

An aftermarket shifter, a short shifter, gains its speed by shortening the throw of the shifter. This provides less time for the synchros to engage and can lead to accelerated wear or bent hardware if the driver tries to force the engagement. If the transmission developed a problem the aftermarket shifter is suspect #1.

The situation was not that you installed an aftermarket shifter and changed your mind after a short while. Even in this case it might be wise to admit what was done. The tech will be able to tell the shifter hardware as been disturbed. Better to let it be known up front that one installed and briefly ran an aftermarket shifter than try to put one over on the dealer.

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Thanks for the response Rockster. Although , I don't agree. If one were to trash their trans and replace the shifter to claim warranty, that would be fraud. But, if one were to replace their OEM to defend themselves from arbitrary decision because their U-CONNECT was on the whack, well, in my opinion,:) it would be a defense, rather than a fraud.
BTW! a short throw shifter will easily clear the syncros's, unless one is just terrible at speed shifting. Then I can see where that might be a problem.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic Super Trak-Pak in Plum Crazy, Tremec 6 Speed, Leather seats. 1 of 39 made.
19 Posts
This will solve all your noticeable issues.

It bypasses the skip-shift solenoid. You can install it with a simple jacking up of the car. My first one came off (an idiot installed it) so I am purchasing another one.

·
Premium Member
3,101 Posts
This will solve all your noticeable issues.

It bypasses the skip-shift solenoid. You can install it with a simple jacking up of the car. My first one came off (an idiot installed it) so I am purchasing another one.
"(an idiot installed it)"
Do they have a name? ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Howdy All. Now that we've driven our Scat a bit I finally have figured out the 2- 3 shift. I discovered this by leaving my tea glass in the console cup holder. When I do this I have to shift at a slight angle, doing so I find 3 very easily. The Barton shifter will still be happening. I still don't like the placement of the cup holders.

·
Registered
2012 Challenger R/T plus, 6spd
107 Posts
Man, looking back at when you first posted this topic, you have missed out on roughly 3 months of smoother more precise shifts.

You should just do it!

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
This OP is odd. I have never missed a shift in my 8 speed.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts