Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
I run Castrol Edge full synthetic in all my cars. I dumped the factory oil at about 1200 miles in my new GT just to have MY brand in my new ride. I've run nothing but Castrol for years. Why? Because I liked the way "Castrol GTX" sounded and in 50+ years on the road, nothing has ever blown up! So in your case I'd go with Mobil 1 (like MANY of my car-head buddies do). I mean Royal Purple sounds like the name of some all-girl rap group!!

Just my distorted opinion. I could be wrong. Enjoy your ride....................the Mailman

·
Premium Member
5,676 Posts
One day I spilled some sunflower oil on my kitchen floor and I nearly got killed when I slipped on it and fell. I figure if the stuff is so slippery, it must be slippery on metal parts too. So I buy the stuff by the gallon at the supermarket and use that in my engine. Really cheap and 1/4 the cost of synthetic motor oil. And my neighbors say the exhaust is like walking through a field of fresh flowers. Hasn't blown up yet!
-John

·
Premium Member
5,676 Posts
My cousin is a mechanic. I asked him years ago about oil, he said as long as your changing it every 3 to 5k miles you could pi$$ in the engine and it'll be fine
No kidding! All should think about the swill we were using in 1968 in Hemi's and BBC high compression engines, driving them daily, drag racing on weekends, day in day out abuse, and oil related failures were virtually non-existant. And now people write about oil like if you don't buy stuff formulated by aliens from the Andromeda galaxy our engines will explode in our garages whilst cranking the engine before it even fires up.

-John

·
Premium Member
2,766 Posts
Change it regularly and don't let it get low (if your engine is using any oil yet) and you'll be fine. Knew a lady with a 3.5 Challenger and she did NOT treat it well and it went over 200k - still running when she finally sold it.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
I swapped to RP last oil change (engine, trans, and diff)just to see if there are any performance differences ... next service due is about 500 miles to go...

so far... the only difference has been price ..

Brand Viscosity Price per quart
AMSOIL Signature Series Synthetic 5W-30 $12.00
Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30 $11.00
Royal Purple High Performance Synthetic 5W-30 $9.00

·
Banned
544 Posts
ALWAYS Royal Purple in every car I own........Classic, Performance or Daily Driver.
Why?

It's not "better" than your every day synthetic and has been known to cause cylinder wash. Not something I'd care to induce on any of the three listed categories. Next thing you know you'll put a K&N in to let more dirt into the intake...

Good read for the snake oil crowd: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com

so far... the only difference has been price ..
Bingo.

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
Why?

It's not "better" than your every day synthetic and has been known to cause cylinder wash. Not something I'd care to induce on any of the three listed categories. Next thing you know you'll put a K&N in to let more dirt into the intake...

Bingo.
Because for 9 years it has never let us down......from our hard driven off road vehicles, our 1,000HP+ race cars, our Performance cars, Trucks, our Hemi's, our multiple Classics, all the way to our daily drivers......never let us down.

·
Premium Member
5,676 Posts
Why?

Bingo.
On my Challenger I got a free Lifetime oil change service plan so, that is why factory synthetic oil goes in. In everything I own outright, like all my power equipment, Riding mowers, backhoe, Michigan bucket loader, countless other small engines, generators, I never discuss what kind of oil I use because it just starts wars over inane subject matter. I would have to be a billionaire to service all the equipment with synthetics. Much power equipment infrequently used goes YEARS without an oil change and will still be running long after my ashes have been spread upon the ocean dumped offa the starboard side of my boat.

-John

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Mobil 1 for engine oil and K&N with ADV filter. And RP for transmission and rear gear fluids. Never had an issue with either and I definitely noticed smoother shifting in my M6 when I replaced it with RP

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.