Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y’all, I have a 15 challenger RT and I was an idiot and didn’t look into mileage and sorts when I bought the vehicle, I love it to death I have a few appearance mods (I.e. louvers, and full splitter kit). Anyways I realized since my car is higher mileage (84k) I won’t get anywhere near what I owe and my warranty expires at 100k miles. so should I just mod the hell out of it ( FBO Cam etc) and upgrade to a newer car later or just take the 9-10k L and get a newer lesser mileage vehicle

Attachments

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
10,599 Posts
Factory warranties should already be expired on a 7 year old Challenger, especially with that mileage. Was there an extended warranty the seller transferred to you?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Factory warranties should already be expired on a 7 year old Challenger, especially with that mileage. Was there an extended warranty the seller transferred to you?
Yes there was covers any sort of engine/trans/drive train issues not caused by mods or anything, since the car is older and high mileage

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the question is why not just drive it and save for a newer one when it is paid off, are you one of those people who buy things biased off the payment? if so you should really look into figuring out your finances as the warranty expiring is the least of your issues
Because I want to get into engine mods but idk if it’s even worth it if it’s already higher mileage

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Because I want to get into engine mods but idk if it’s even worth it if it’s already higher mileage
But you’re right, I didn’t realize hemi engines last a long time with proper TLC, always thought 100k was high mileage and now I’m reading 200k is high mileage for the 5.7. I got my answer I appreciate it!

·
Registered
2021 Challenger Scat Pack A8
124 Posts
But you’re right, I didn’t realize hemi engines last a long time with proper TLC, always thought 100k was high mileage and now I’m reading 200k is high mileage for the 5.7. I got my answer I appreciate it!
Proper TLC usually includes not modding it, at least not extensively. Yes, with proper care and maintenance the 5.7 can last 200k+ miles BUT when you start pushing the envelope a more tired motor is going to give up easier. That is just a fact of modding cars. More power generated=more stress on components. If you are going to mod the hell out of it and make sure to budget appropriately for inevitable component failures.

Also, if you are really going to get into modding it, it is best to retire the car from daily driver duties. Nothing worse than lifting a head or spinning a bearing on your car on Saturday and not having enough time or parts available to rebuild it before you have to drive to work on Monday. Uber can get expensive after awhile.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I’m not one to give advice. I dropped a new 426 stroker in after the second year of new car ownership 🤪. No regrets though.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
2,212 Posts
Hey y’all, I have a 15 challenger RT and I was an idiot and didn’t look into mileage and sorts when I bought the vehicle, I love it to death I have a few appearance mods (I.e. louvers, and full splitter kit). Anyways I realized since my car is higher mileage (84k) I won’t get anywhere near what I owe and my warranty expires at 100k miles. so should I just mod the hell out of it ( FBO Cam etc) and upgrade to a newer car later or just take the 9-10k L and get a newer lesser mileage vehicle
Your car will never be worth as much as it is right now.

If the warranty is transferable consider selling the car/trading it via a Dodge dealer for a newer car. The transferable extended warranty makes the car a lower risk used car purchase.

Regardless I would not mod the "hell" out of the car. That lowers the car's value and it is money spent you can never recoup.

Or rather than sell/trade in the car keep the car and leave it as it is. Just continue to drive it.

Depreciation is the biggest expense of owning a vehicle. If you get rid of your current car you lock in the depreciation and start the depreciation of your "new" car from a higher dollar amount. That's a lose lose deal.

87K miles is not that many miles. I have driven 2 of my cars to 150K miles, one car to 161K miles, and even one car to 317K miles. Yeah, I had to spend some money as things wore out. But no big expenses. Only one needed a new clutch. (Oh all were manuals too.) Two needed a new water pump. Two needed a new fuel pump. One needed a new alternator. But besides the wear items only one needed some "internal" engine work. A variable cam timing solenoid/actuator went bad and I paid the $3K to have this addressed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Sorry y’all if it came off as a dumb question, this is my first sports car/muscle car and my first car I’ve wanted to work on. I appreciate all of your responses!

·
Registered
2011 SXT Canadian Built Challenger
2,262 Posts
Sorry y’all if it came off as a dumb question, this is my first sports car/muscle car and my first car I’ve wanted to work on. I appreciate all of your responses!
Not how dumb question. When you have a older car with lots of miles things wear out Transmission Drive Shaft Center Bearing, Rear End, Brake Systems, Struts, Springs, Torsion Bars, when you start to rebuild of put in more HP these things wont last long is the long short of it. You have to make that decision on how much you want to spend and what is the end goal of what your doing. The Drive train is going to need addressing when your looking to do these mods.

These newer Generation cars have a lot more to contend with then the 50's - 80's. You also got Computers to deal with and they need to also be reprogrammed as to optimize the entire upgrade and get the most out of them as well.

·
Premium Member
2021 R/T Scat Pack Shaker Widebody
1,020 Posts
If you a dead set on modding a car. Mod the one you have. If you would be content to upgrade to a newer car and drive it as is, then do that. Don't buy a newer car and blow the warranty by modding it. JMO.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Heck, I didn't put the blower on until 110k.

Reactions: SmhollieRT

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am currently enjoying a 2005 Magnum R/T AWD with 156K on it and is running like the day I bought it. Had to change a water pump and a sensor. Other than that, it's just regular oil and filter changes and tune ups.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Interesting conversation with an old pal who is a 2012 RAM owner. At 120K he developed a the infamous Hemi tick as did 2 other RAM owners within a one block radius of his home. My old pal showed me the engne tear down photos showing the cam and lifter. As a Chrysler employee why Chrysler hasn't addressed this poor oiling system to the cam and lifters ? But yes some Hemi 5.7 engines go 200K with no issue. That said who wants to take the $3000 - $5000 chance ? Why a class action lawsuit hasn't come to light baffles me ???

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts
That is not really high mileage. The 5.7 is a great engine and you should be able to get many more miles out of it. I had one from new and sold it at 60k miles and had never had a single issue with the powertrain. And, I worked with a lady who owned a the older 6 cylinder: 3.5 and she had over 200k on it! So - if the car looks great and is running well, hand on to it! Mods are up to you. You’ll never get your money back on them so do only the things you really want.

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
3,800 Posts
At 84K miles, It is broke in good now, so don't worry about mileage unless the car has been repeatedly run hard at the strip! Do you have a list yet of what has already been done to it under the hood and out the rear? There is a lot of power in that 5.7L under the hood that you can tap into and release without going into the motor, but getting that power down to the road is a problem, especially if yours is an automatic with an open differential. So what's been done to it? Ry

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
3,800 Posts
If that is what you are thinking, and you even want to do some of the work on it yourself, you have the right car to do so, and IMO the right color too!

Black is hard to keep clean but beautiful when it is! :)

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
57,291 Posts
Interesting conversation with an old pal who is a 2012 RAM owner. At 120K he developed a the infamous Hemi tick as did 2 other RAM owners within a one block radius of his home. My old pal showed me the engne tear down photos showing the cam and lifter. As a Chrysler employee why Chrysler hasn't addressed this poor oiling system to the cam and lifters ? But yes some Hemi 5.7 engines go 200K with no issue. That said who wants to take the $3000 - $5000 chance ? Why a class action lawsuit hasn't come to light baffles me ???
The oiling system is not the issue , it is the lifters that is why some Hemis go many miles, probably more than don't. If it was the oiling system they all would fail. I don't know who is the supplier but their quality control is bad.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts