Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that my MOPAR CAI Air Box has a side opening window, I suspect that this allows air to escape! will it help to seal this window? and how will I do that?

·
Banned
473 Posts
If you mean the opening facing forward, that actually pulls in more cool air directly from the front scoops. Note the orientation facing the rounded opening in the front radiator support. If you look down this hole, you'll see a path to the lower front scoop. If you are concerned about pulling in hot engine bay air at idle, you can put some high temp foam or other baffle in the gap between the radiator fan shroud and the CAI airbox opening. But while the car is moving, it's getting cooler air.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yep, it will do its job when it's moving. If you REALLY wanted to avoid as much engine heat as you could, you would have to get the CAI directed to a spot lower in the car. It's not easy, but it will give you cooler temps all the time at the risk of drawing in more water and junk.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, this makes sense, yet my worry is the water but I think the big Mopar filter will avoid passing the water to the engine.

Also I thought the more compact and closed the air box the faster and better suction will be!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Also I thought the more compact and closed the air box the faster and better suction will be!
Keep in mind, on a Naturally Aspirated engine (Or anything that breathes for that matter) The lower pressure areas are filled not because of suction but because air at normal atmospheric pressure rushes in to fill the void. You don't want the engine having to suck air in. That's like trying to inhale with a gas mask on and the engine will have to work just to get air. You want as open and free of a path as you can get which will allow the air to rush into the cylinders filling the low pressure areas without any energy being expended.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually the air box is located right behind the headlights so there is no real cool air flow from the front grills coming in, the radiator is blocking the full grill area.

·
Banned
473 Posts
Actually the air box is located right behind the headlights so there is no real cool air flow from the front grills coming in, the radiator is blocking the full grill area.
Nope. Look again. The front is designed to channel cool through the radiator, but also through openings on either side of the radiator. Most of this air comes from the lower scoop. It comes in right next to the headlight assembly. It's this way on both sides. It was designed this way for a reason.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts