Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

Wanted to get your thoughts on some Mopar extended warranty quotes that I received.

I have a 2015 Dodge Challenger - SXT and my extended warranty was up around September or so. Now I’m looking back into protection for the car. I called Mopar & got some rates. Now I wanted to get your thoughts.

Some details about me…
-Challenger has 105,000 miles on it
-I own the car. Bought it at 15k miles. Paid complete cash for it.
-But now that I’m not working, need to make sure Im not just wasting money.
-This car is the best thing in my life now & need to make sure I keep it working well.
-I have around $14k to my name now. And no idea when I’ll be working again. Could be up to a year
-I average 15,000 miles on the car a year

Ideally, Im hoping to part with maybe $3500-$4000 on the warranty. But not sure which one is the smartest buy, or the best deal. Will probably pay it in full.

Quotes By Mopar:
5 Year, Added Care Plus, Up To 75,000, Cost = $4903.13
5 Years Power Train, Up To 75,000 Miles, Cost $3,783.56
4 Year, Max Care, Up to 60,000 miles, Cost = $5,700
4 Year, Added Care Plus, Up To 60,000 miles, Cost = $4801.81
4 Year, Power Train, Up to 60,000 miles, Cost = $3,095.83
3 Year, Max Care, Up to 45,000 miles, Cost = $5532
3 Year, Added Care Plus, Up to 45,000 miles, Cost = $3836.88
3 Year, Power Train, Up To 45,000 miles, Cost = $2722.64

The car has not had many issues. So never needed manufacture warranty. But now that I’ve broken 100,000 miles. I’m worried that now the major issues are going to start. And just want to make sure I am covered the best I can be.

Want to make a decision in the next couple days. Any suggestions would be so appreciated! Has the Max Care or Added Care plus ever come in handy for anyone??
Any trusted alternatives to mopar?

(Sorry if I overloaded with information)

Thanks you,
-Wayne

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,684 Posts
Yes, it has.,....and was for sure worth it to me....but I am not so sure you can put it on a car with so many miles AND a gap in coverage....

But maybe that's why your prices are so high...I got lifetime maxcare on my Ram, and it was only 2400 bucks, and the 7 yr/100k maxcare on my SRT runs out 2/22

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it has.,....and was for sure worth it to me....but I am not so sure you can put it on a car with so many miles AND a gap in coverage....
Yea, I can still get a warranty. I spoke to Mopar already. You have Mopar or a different extended warranty company?
They don't make lifetime warranties anymore. But yes, maybe because I waited thats why the prices are high.

I'm glad to hear someone got their moneys worth with the warranty. On a different site, people were telling me the warranty is not worth it. So now I'm even more confused lol.

I'm scared if I try to just put the money aside, that I will spend some of it it and not have it later.

·
How fa$$$t do want to go?
9,404 Posts
Because of your savings, miles driven per year, amount you're comfortable with spending and waiting to get back to work, I'd go with the 4 year, Power Train, up to 60,000 miles. It's on your upper end you want to spend, but covers the major components for another 4 years. I've had the MOPAR extended warranties on my Challenger and wife's Jeep Cherokee. In both cases, MOPAR lost money on major repairs to both vehicles. (JMHO) Good Luck with your choice and here's hoping you get that call-back to work real soon. ;)

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,684 Posts
Yea, I can still get a warranty. I spoke to Mopar already. You have Mopar or a different extended warranty company?
They don't make lifetime warranties anymore. But yes, maybe because I waited thats why the prices are high.

I'm glad to hear someone got their moneys worth with the warranty. On a different site, people were telling me the warranty is not worth it. So now I'm even more confused lol.

I'm scared if I try to just put the money aside, that I will spend some of it it and not have it later.

Mine are both Maxcare, which is Chrysler.....

I know they don't do lifetime, or I'd have it on my car....

And as for being worth it....in the last 7 months, they have completely replaced the engine, transmission and rear diff on my car....I paid 200 bucks in deductibles.....warranty covered almost 20k in repairs

·
Registered
108 Posts
If you've got the 5.7 engine, that would be a TOP item to insure/warrant for the widely known cam and lifter problems that are very expensive to fix.

But you are probably better off just cutting back on the driving, and saving the premium money for repairs and hope you don't need them.

If you do any research, most of these warranties or insurances are a total scam and should be avoided.

They make money by denying claims (the thing you need done is often miraculously an excluded item) or using cheap or used repair parts and other tactics.

Be very very careful in buying one of these. Most financial experts will advise you to just save the premium money in a separate account and you'll almost always come out ahead.

YMMV, just go in informed.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Also, side note, if you're not working how are you putting 15,000 miles on your car annually? That's 41 miles daily!!! And $2,500 in gasoline... If you're not working it should be closer to nearly zero, maybe 5-10 for necessary errands... 10 miles per day is 3600 miles for the year...

That's a LOT of extra maintenance, risks of accidents, fuel costs, etc. for someone not working.

Ride a bike, walk more, and drive less. I'd have a goal of probably less than 2000 miles driving for a year if you're not working. Then save the premium money. And save a lot of fuel costs and other maintenance and accident risks and reduce your insurance premiums as well if you're driving less.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts