Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading all I can find on the Forum about taking the 5.7 to this level. There's some helpful stuff posted here and I'm hoping to see if anyone might update their thoughts on the Mopar Stage 2 upgrades.

I'm not interested in swapping our car for a Challenger with a larger engine option, am not interested in DYI performance bolt-ons, or aftermarket equipment, am concerned about continued reliability, and am concerned with maintaining remaining factory warranty/extended warranty on our 2019 R/T which has 29,000 and something miles on it at present. Seems like a Scat Pack performance kit is an option to consider, just for more fun and frolic. Have recently discussed doing the Stage 2 with the local Dodge service department, but am seeking some Forum discussion before making a decision.

In one thread on the topic I read cdahI383's encouraging statement: "Stage 1 or 2 make sense. Stage 3 is kind of overpriced IMO." I also enjoy following RyzRT as he's always a good read here with posts both educational and sensible. If y'all have any other members here who are good at sharing please let me know.

Does the Stage 2 package with no other modifications add a noticeable measure of performance fun?

Does the Stage 2 package cause significant gas mileage degradation?

I wouldn't enjoy this happening to our car.

And then there is this.
Current events have me concerned about regulation and American liberty.

Realistically, our R/T putts three blocks to my wife's office and back five days a week, putts to church across the street from her office on Sunday, with occasional putting around to the post office and local grocery store in our small town, all within four blocks of our house. It may only do this duty for weeks on end, but because our central Texas town is remote we also make highway runs from 30 to 75 miles with some frequency. Also, one of our children lives 165 miles away and the other lives 865 miles away (with grandchildren no less) so various road trips are regularly taken. On the road trips there may be a ranch truck, a granny in a pokey vehicle, or a semi that requires passing. There are also acceleration requirements that present themselves in regular Dallas/Fort Worth driving.

For instance, we were heading into the Dallas/Fort Worth area just yesterday and it was determined that two long semi's needed to be passed at a spot on a lengthy stretch of two lane farm-to-market road leading out of our town, one which has limited passing lane capabilities. The R/T safely accomplished the pass in fine enough style, but I could have wished for just a little bit more "starch in its drawers" to have bettered tackled the chore of two semis at once.

On the regular trips we make to Nashville, the car has claimed average trip economy as high as 31.2 mpg for the journey. I don't believe it, but that's what the thing says. Worst Nashville trip we've experienced was 28.9 mpg. It does cost much less to run the R/T on the 865 mile journey than it cost us with our previous car. My wife doesn't like it when I drive for economy on our road trips saying that: "you get a Hemi and you drive it like a grandpa."

Yeah, the R/T could realistically be said to be obscenely overpowered as it is on the one hand, but it'd also be fun and nice to have a bit of added pizzazz just 'cause.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Arrow Racing, the company that wrote the PCMs for Chrysler is no more. I had a Stage 1 PCM in my car for about 5 years, until the warranty was up, then I went with real mods, BTW they made a "Believer Package" that was basically 1 2 and 3 without the redundant parts. $ per H.P. was terrible on those kits.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Arrow Racing, the company that wrote the PCMs for Chrysler is no more. I had a Stage 1 PCM in my car for about 5 years, until the warranty was up, then I went with real mods, BTW they made a "Believer Package" that was basically 1 2 and 3 without the redundant parts. $ per H.P. was terrible on those kits.
After much clicking on the keyboard behind the part counter the dealership staff says they can order and install these performance kits. Does this discontinuation of the PCM mean no more Stages 1, 2, and 3?

·
Registered
519 Posts
After much clicking on the keyboard behind the part counter the dealership staff says they can order and install these performance kits. Does this discontinuation of the PCM mean no more Stages 1, 2, and 3?
If you look it says, "Does not include tuning" they used to come with a PCM, now you have to get an unlocked PCM and get it tuned. Also Stage 1 is the only one that is EPA legal.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm ... the guys at the dealership poo-pooed the notion that I'd run afoul of the EPA except if I moved to a large metropolitan area with more stringent inspections.

Stage 1 only, huh?

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger RT
340 Posts
My first question would be is; Did the dealership tell you the car would remain under warranty if you did the stage 2 upgrades through them?

If so, then go for it if you're concerned with keeping the warranty. Just beware, the stage 2 upgrades that Dodge offers is already high on the money list as far as bang for your buck. Top that with dealer installation fees and the price can get way up there. You could get more bang for your buck doing aftermarket parts and install at a shop that has a tuner that speaks fluent Mopar.

Since you're in the DFW area, check out Gearheads Performance.

Concerning your gas mileage, the mpg will drop to around 25 mpg on the highway. I live in Georgia but I work in Freeport, TX. It's just over 800 miles from my house and that's what I average now after having Doctor Differential, located in Groves, TX install an 84mm ported tb, ported intake, JBA long-tube headers with an engine and trans tune on my 2016 5.7 Hemi challenger rt. The car I got back was not the one I dropped off. My challenger has absolutely come alive and I have no regrets. The next mod I'm doing is the 3.09 LSD with a diff brace and I'm having the same shop do the work.

Bare in mind that if you have anyone else but a dealership do the aforementioned work, let them know what your intentions with the car are particularly with the highway driving that you mentioned you do occasionally. I went with a conservative engine and trans tune on my challenger and I could still get more power out of it but due to my long work trips I kept it that way to maintain reliability.

What year is your challenger? Do you have the A8 HP70 trans or do you have the M6? I ask because if you have the A8, you most likely have the 3.06 open differential (a one-wheeler squealer) and may want to consider also upgrading to the 3.09 LSD.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Our Challenger is a 2019 with the 8 speed automatic.

Wondered about that differential. Thanks for pointing that out.

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger RT
340 Posts
Disregard the "what year is your challenger?" I just read again where you said it's a 2019.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Yeah I don't understand the concern for MPG. I did a mild cam (Comp Cams 274) and supporting mods last year. I get about 15 to 17 mpg. It's going to get worse this year after the Stall Speed converter and supercharger but, but it's only money and I can always make more. Keep in mind that the stage 1 is basically a 91 octane tune so you will no longer be able to run 89. You want to play buy another car for all that wasted driving, Church, work crap and make this your toy for the fun stuff.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I failed to answer your question of the car remaining under warranty with the Stage 2 upgrade. The dealership says the car will remain under its warranty.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A two-person household with a requirement that one vehicle be a pickup just couldn't do justice to a third car. Besides, we both enjoy this one as the daily driver.

I've always run highest available octane in everything we drive since forever so am not concerned with low grade gas.

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger RT
340 Posts
Yeah I don't understand the concern for MPG. I did a mild cam (Comp Cams 274) and supporting mods last year. I get about 15 to 17 mpg. It's going to get worse this year after the Stall Speed converter and supercharger but, but it's only money and I can always make more. Keep in mind that the stage 1 is basically a 91 octane tune so you will no longer be able to run 89. You want to play buy another car for all that wasted driving, Church, work crap and make this your toy for the fun stuff.
Is that mpg you posted in the city or highway? My challenger will continue to be my daily for the foreseeable future and I've been eyeballing doing a similar cam swap with appropriate mods. If that's highway mpg then I may hold off until I could make it a play toy.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Is that mpg you posted in the city or highway? My challenger will continue to be my daily for the foreseeable future and I've been eyeballing doing a similar cam swap with appropriate mods. If that's highway mpg then I may hold off until I could make it a play toy.
That's a combination of driving city and freeway. But my driving style is probably different than yours.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
"Is that mpg you posted in the city or highway?"

The best mileage noted has been on strictly interstate highway, gas stop-to-gas stop runs from west central Texas to Nashville, Tennessee or back. We see 18-22 averages on the piddling local use.

·
Premium Member
3,065 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,065 Posts
The Mopar CAI is a limited piece of junk, not sure why they even had that in the stage 1 kit for a CAI I recommend the AFE Momentum GT with the headlight air duct and you will pick up horsepower from it, all the metal tube CAIs suck they get hot from the radiator heat and increase your intake air temperature.

#1 the AFE is completely isolated from the hood heat.
#2 the AFE air filter is close to twice the size of the Mopar and larger than the stock filter.
#3 the Plastic tube tapered from the filter to the throttle body creates the Venturi Effect as the air being pulled in compresses through the tube the velocity increases at the throttle body.
#4 the Headlight air tube increases air into the air box with the car in motion and it really shows off at 50 mph and above.
#5 you can easily install it yourself and it is not going to affect your warranty.

Momentum GT Cold Air Intake System w/Pro 5R Filter Media

The Headlight Air Duct changed in 2019 so you would need the one below.

Momentum GT Dynamic Air Scoop

I guarantee you, you will never regret getting this CAI. Ry

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, I've read that proviso on a few occasions and weighed it against dealership opinion and local inspection station advice which was not to be concerned about it.

*Federal law, and many state, provincial and local laws impose vehicle emissions and safety standards that prohibit the use of a motor vehicle on public streets and highways if the vehicle is not compliant with such standards. FCA US LLC customers are responsible for complying with applicable federal, state, provincial and local laws, including environmental and safety laws, and for determining whether their modified vehicle complies with such laws. Vehicles with Scat Pack 2 and 3 Performance Packages installed are prohibited from operating on public streets and highways.

So, it looks like it is better to just give Mopar Stage 1, 2, and 3 performance kits a miss. I'd be vexed if I had to put everything back at additional expense. If the aftermarket AEF Momentum GT CAF won't affect warranty then it might be worth it for a small tweak.

It's nice to study this stuff first and have the Forum as a resource.

·
Premium Member
2015 sxt/rt 5.7 with scat pack kits 1 &2
1,872 Posts
i have scat pack 1 and 2 installed , big improvement ! not a issue here in ny as far as inspections go no cels and you pass . .even had shorty headers added and it really helped the car breath . arrow racing was the vendor for the pcm scat pack 2 and 3 they are now called prefix. the new-er pcm' s are supposed to be third party tunable good luck

1 - 20 of 26 Posts