Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I had one of the very first Stage 1 and 2’s done on my 14 Shaker. Without stage 3 no real big gains but still fun to drive. After a year I gave up on my warranty and went the full blown Supercharger, trans mods, rear cradle mods. Now 6 years later still love the car and it is now modified to the point I will never trade it. I just added a Hellcat to the fleet this year but still enjoy driving the Challenger.
The

·
Premium Member
3,055 Posts
I failed to answer your question of the car remaining under warranty with the Stage 2 upgrade. The dealership says the car will remain under its warranty.
You get that in writing before they touch the car, there has been too many horror stories regarding this! The Scat Pack Stage installations has to be done by a dealership on the 5.7 to maintain the warranty, not a shop down the road a legitimate CJDR dealership. In 2018 I was going to get the Stage 1 PCM for my Challenger, I was informed to keep my warranty not only did it have to come from them, but they had to order it and then install it, I could not order it myself and take it to them to install, they had to order it or my warranty was gone. So I agreed, OK so you order it then and I pre-paid for it, 2 months later they still had not received it, the service department did a search to discover what was going on?

Chrysler informed them the part # had been changed, they had cancelled the order, and they were refunding me my money? After 2 months of waiting? I was perturbed for sure and very angry about it, I looked online out of curiosity and for some time the Stages had temporarily disappeared from even being able to buy, then they showed up again later. I was after the Stage 1 PCM because when I bought my Challenger it already had after market exhaust on it, I had installed the CAI, so all I needed was the PCM installed. My warranty was never questioned because the dealership had sold me the car with after market exhaust and never divulged that information to me. I knew my exhaust was louder than other Challengers but until looking under the car and seeing Flowmaster Mufflers under it I was clueless. So even with that exhaust on the car my warranty was still intact. (Needles to say, I have learned quite a lot since I bought my Challenger, and that is why I have shared what I have learned here to help others.)

I'm not interested in swapping our car for a Challenger with a larger engine option, am not interested in DYI performance bolt-ons, or aftermarket equipment, am concerned about continued reliability, and am concerned with maintaining remaining factory warranty/extended warranty on our 2019 R/T which has 29,000 and something miles on it at present. Seems like a Scat Pack performance kit is an option to consider, just for more fun and frolic. Have recently discussed doing the Stage 2 with the local Dodge service department, but am seeking some Forum discussion before making a decision.

Knowing you made this statement in your opening post there is not much sense in covering the after market aspect with you, but I will say from my own experience, that the after market is the way to go if you are really after more power. Things are different for your 2019 anyway because you have active exhaust, which was started in 2017, going cat back is not as simple and cheap as it was for me to get away from the Flowmaster to something that sounded better with much less drone. Even if you get a brand of cat back after market exhaust that has the active exhaust carry over, it is going to be expensive.

Ry

Reactions: noelekal

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
I chased these stage kits for over a year and ordered them from 3 different dealers, all three cancelled and refunded my money because they couldn't get them.

You can get the tuners from Prefix racing, they are the old Arrow racing and Dale Mathews is the guy who has always done the tunes. I got a stage one and a stage three from him.

Finally after a year and a half I got the parts from the people that used to make them for Dodge. If you click on my profile they are all listed on there.

I was also concerned about my extended Warranty. I called national after I was told by the dealer and national both that they would honor my warranty, and they told me that my warranty was void as soon as my car was modified from stock. So if you can actually get the Mopar stage kits, which I wouldn't bet on, I would damn well make them put the warranty promise in writing.

All of this took place for me last summer. So unless something new has happened at Dodge ??????

·
Premium Member
3,055 Posts
Regarding dealerships that seem to be the way the Stages are required to be installed through, very few are actually qualified to do those modifications, and if you ask them can you do this for me and they give you that first reaction of a deer in the headlight. It may be because they have not even done it before and are trying to quick think what mechanic they actually have that could actually do it. You have to keep in mind that highly skilled mechanics are not cheap to keep on hand all the time especially when major repairs requiring internal engine work are few and far between. I am familiar with the local CJDR dealerships in my area, the closest to me has the worst record in the entire town, I would not trust them to put air in my tires.

The next closest that we bought my wifes Charger from I do trust for maintenance on her car as far as oil changing goes, but not my Challenger, because they were supposed to resolve my Tire Pressure monitoring system issues, and their resolution was just temporary, it was not a fix. Now the dealership I actually bought my Challenger from is 125 miles away, which I did trust until they lied to me and I caught them in the lie. So trusting any of these dealership service departments needs to be because they have a high mechanical rating and are skilled in what you need done.

The best question: How many of these performance upgrade procedures have you actually done here, and what mechanic would you put on this project, and can I personally talk with him or her? I mean come on, this is your baby, it has run good since the day you bought it, you don't turn your baby over to an ignorant mechanic that may possibly be the first time to do this procedure.

Remember: The percentage of the population that actually have a dealership do any performance upgrades on their Challengers is extremely low, most Challenger owners are only concerned with oil changes and tire replacement. Ry

21 - 26 of 26 Posts