Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a Mopar strut brace today and have a question. I could only reach and use the torque socket on one of the three top nuts per side. I torqued those two (one on each side) to the proper amount, and then did the other two per side on feel alone.

My question: what kind of torque wrench/rachet will actually fit when using the Mopar Strut brace? The one I have isn't even close to fitting, and I looked in the local Autozone and they didn't sell anything that would fit either.

Attachments

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's a better illustration of my problem. I have both a 3/8 and 1/4 in drive torque rachet. The 1/4 drive one is shown here.

Am I the victim of my cheap tool choices? :4-dontknow:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Here's a better illustration of my problem. I have both a 3/8 and 1/4 in drive torque rachet. The 1/4 drive one is shown here.

Am I the victim of my cheap tool choices? :4-dontknow:

You will probably need a flex adapter that fits between your socket and the ratchet. (see pix1). The flex head allows you to pivot close to the socket and should hopefully allow you to clear the gap.

If not you may have to get a special purpose socket that has a flex head built into it (see pix 2). If you go that route you would also need a female to female adapter to make it fit your ratchet - and probably a small extension as well.

Attachments

Reactions: Scat Pack

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have tried a swivel head on the 3/8" drive... still not a good enough bite to actually torque the thing. I guess I need to shop for a shorter socket and a shorter swivel head.

If anyone knows the Mopar engineer who designed this thing, give em a kick in the shins for me :D

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Success! I found a swivel head for my 3/8" drive that was just a tad shorter. It fit and I was able to torque to spec. Thanks all! :smileup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts