Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Slower Traffic Keep Right
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wondering if anyone else on the site is going next month... Mopars at the Battleship, Sat. April 26.. in Mobile, AL.... yes the date is 426...... I sent my registration in a week ago..

·
"Z" member since 2009
3,907 Posts
When I first noticed this thread title, my mind started racing to determine which battleship since there are quite a few battleship memorials. But of course the one moored in Mobile is the USS Alabama (BB60). I'm too far away to attend, but I hope there's a lot of Challenger owners who can show up. Post some photos after the event.

·
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will try to snap a few pictures...There is usually a good mix of old and new, stock and modified....

·
Now that was dumb!
6,005 Posts
As I recall the Alabama is the Battleship that a young Bob Feller served on during WWII. Bob enlisted in the navy immediately after the attack on Pearl Harbor. Bob left his brilliant baseball career to serve his country.

I believe also that Bobs' battle station is clearly marked on board the Alabama. He was a Gunnery Officer. When asked, Bob said that his service to the country was more important to him then his illustrious baseball career. It was either Admiral King or Halsey that asked him to pitch in an Army vs. Navy game. Bob declined saying he couldn't leave his shipmates at the time and suggested to the Admiral that Bob Lemon should take his place (another Cleveland Indians pitcher.)Lemon pitched and won the game.

Take pictures please and post them. Love to see the cars there.

As many of our fathers, Bob was a member of our greatest generation.
It showed.

·
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They not only have the Battleship, but a submarine, and hanger with a few aircraft inside - the highlight being an SR-71.... just beautiful...

·
"Z" member since 2009
3,907 Posts
I haven't toured the USS Alabama. I did however, tour her sistership USS Massachusetts (BB59).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts