Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I saw moparx2's post about his door inserts about 2 months ago, I knew that was going to be my next mod. After contacting my friend, Jina, we came up with a suitable idea. I went to Joanne Fabrics and got 2 sections of 12" x 36" black marine vinyl and sent it off to her. Within a week, she had completed her task and got them back to me. That's pretty fast, across the country and back within a week! Well, it's taken me that long to get up the courage and figure out how I wanted to do this.

Driver's Door Insert -

Passenger Door Insert -

First I took the door panels off the Challenger. Then i roughly cut the shape of the insert. I wiped the factory insert down with Isopropyl Alcohol. I then fitted Jina's inset to make sure it was in the right position. I sprayed the section on the back with the embroidery with 3M Super 77 adhesive and sprayed a corresponding section on the factory insert. I let the adhesive tack up for about 2 minutes. I then carefully laid down the insert, making sure it was where I wanted it, and rubbed it down with my hands and fingers. I let that dry overnight and began working on the sides and top of the insert. This time I used a water based contact cement. After the proper tacking time, I set those areas in place and rubbed them down, keeping the vinyl taut. I then cemented the lower part and tucked it in. After another day, I cut the outer part of the insert and using small amounts of cement, tucked that in. I then used some of the PVC Piping to finish it off. I had to cut the webbing down on the piping to get it to set down.

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,445 Posts
Dan, I think that looks just great! Very different and unique for your car!!! Good job and great instructions for anyone else wanting to try this!

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Looks awesome! Definitely the first I've seen of custom embroidered door panel! :smileup:

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dan, I think that looks just great! Very different and unique for your car!!! Good job and great instructions for anyone else wanting to try this!
Thank You, Betty!

Looks awesome! Definitely the first I've seen of custom embroidered door panel! :smileup:
Thanks, Dave!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Nice Job Dan! Way to think out of the box.

·
<<< Bending Time & Space >>>
16,093 Posts
Nice mod Dan, it looks good.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,683 Posts
I'm inspired, and I just put a moratorium on modding until next month! Nice job, Dan!

·
12,990 Posts
Looks good Dan!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Looks great! I think you have inspired many more to see what Jina can do for them as well (she's done my headrests already and they look amazing).

·
455 RWHP / 452 Torque
3,732 Posts
Looks great, Dan! :smileup:

·
MOPAR Top Eliminator, Carlisle 2016
27,972 Posts
OOOOOO! Dan you beat me to it!!!!! Door panel embroidery is high on my list!!!! Looks great!

·
Registered
22,668 Posts
Looks good Dan. :smileup:

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Hey, that's kinda cool Dan. Would have never thought of that one. Nice job and very innovative.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts