Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So here is the skinny. Had a shop do a motor swap in our 2010 Challenger SE from the 3.5L to a 5.7L. What should have been easy has turned into a never ending nightmare. After months of work I finally have most of the Fups worked out these supposed "experts" did to our car just in time to hit the smog ref here in California. They are being cool but said they need a stock 2010 R/T tune on it with no errors for it to pass. Here lies my issue:

Motor and tranny are out of a 2013 Charger Police edition
ECU is 05187901AH which is out of a 2009 Charger but is programmed with an HP Tuner
TCM is 05150603AA which is for a Charger v6 so reads incompatible but works
To add to the mess, the motor has the 6.1L heads and cam installed
Rear end is a Gertrag with 3.91 gears.

I have a friend who does dealer programming for a living and hope he can do all the programming and trouble shooting needed to help keep costs down.

I am trying to figure out what ECU and TCM I should/can get that will read properly. The installers said the 5.7l tune will run with the 6.1L cam and heads well enough to get the car tested and certified. I have little contact with that shop since the wold class F up job on our car so not sure what to do. If I can't figure this out then I will have to sell it and get a new one which I hate to do as this car is loaded with suspension and the whole 9 at this point.

To top it all off... It's my wifes car, and she loves it (I have a permanent room in the dog house at this point)

If there are any ECU/TCM guru's out there, please let me know any info you can or a direction to go to find out what I need.

Thanks in advance

Dan
San Bernardino, CA

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tiki

Okay all, let's just go ahead and skip the comments about how I should have sold the car, bought something different, ect. When I did the motor swap it was way more affordable than buying a new car based on the mods I had already done to the car when it had the v6 in it. I'm not talking about what I should have done, I'm not able to travel back in time and change the past, my post is asking for help with my issue that I have right now. If you don't have any help pertaining to what I posted then you can just go ahead and move on because I already understand and have been told by every person that I should have just sold the car and bought something with a V8. Just so everybody knows if it wasn't for this smog thing this would be one of the baddest cars around and is pretty much full custom at this point. as much as I thank you for your time and reading this post I don't think we need to have five or six postings about how I should have done this or should have done that. Thanks so much

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
To top it all off... It's my wifes car, and she loves it (I have a permanent room in the dog house at this point)

If there are any ECU/TCM guru's out there, please let me know any info you can or a direction to go to find out what I need.

Thanks in advance

Dan
Have you talked with Sean at Hemifever tuning, if there is anyone that could get you out of this mess it's him.

https://www.hemifevertuning.com/Articles.asp?ID=83

Use the Phone# contact, sometimes he is the one that actually answers the phone.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks RyzRT. Sean hooked me up with a direction. Going to work with him on a custom tune after all this is done to.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
1,412 Posts
Word I have is the car must meet the smog requirements of the MY engine installed. Thus a 2010 car with a 2013 engine installed has to confirm to what a 2013 car with a 2013 engine has to conform to. I don't know how the 2010 and 2013 smog requirements differ in terms of PPM or however the emissions are measured.

If they are even measured.

Nowadays, at least in my experience is the engine exhaust is not even sampled anymore the smog computer is connected to the car's OBD2 port and some things are obtained from the car's engine controller and the responses determine if the car passes smog or not.

Off the top of my head there can be no CEL/active error code, no pending code, no permanent code, and most of the readiness monitors have to be set to complete. One maybe can be set to incomplete but I believe it can't be an O2 or converter monitor.

Besides that there are things like miles driven since CEL cleared, and similar telemetry that all has to meet with whatever the smog computer expects. (Some years ago for some automotive test equipment I wrote code to retrieve all the necessary data/telemetry from the car but I did not know the rules regarding how the data was checked and what resulted in a passing or failing score.)

In CA police cars are exempt from smog requirements. Not sure what this means exactly but you can be sure it does not mean your car is smog exempt. What it may mean is the engine may not have the setup to deliver legal emissions, or at least the right telemetry to satisfy the CARB computer, even if the engine is tuned correctly. Factor in the presence of 6.1l heads and cam and you may be up a creek without a paddle.

But hopefully not. Thus I can only second what RyzRT said. Contact somebody who does tunes/custom tunes for a living and see if he can be of any help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts