Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. Just thought I would share my install info if anyone else has an interest in the MP Concepts louvers for their Challenger. I went with a matte black to match the blackouts on my 2017 Challenger T/A. I found the fit of the louvers was over all, very good. Following instructions, I used the provided adhesive promoter on the metal mounting tabs and attached the double stick tape. I then sat the lovers on the window, making sure I lined up the top edge so there was no glass showing. That left a slight gap at the bottom, which was good as it provided clearance for the trunk. I eyeballed where the pads were going to land and put some adhesive promoter on the glass. Then I stuck the lover in place. After things were set, I unscrewed the louvers from mounting plates, pressed the plates down firmly, then left the car sit in the sun for a couple of hours. I then remounted the louvers. The install calls for foam blocks to be placed down the center of the louvers but I found I could see the blocks when they were in place(see photos), which I hated. So I beveled the back edge at a 45 degree angle and put them in place. They are damn near invisible now. Over all, I am very happy with this unit. I hope this post assists others who may install MP Concepts louvers the their cars in the future.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's actually a good question. I think if your rear window ices up on the glass, it would be a problem because you have to undo 9 acorn nuts and lift the louvers off to scrape the ice (I'm originally from Michigan, I know your pain). You could just make it a spring, summer, and fall type of deal, however, you would have the mounting studs sticking up in the winter which A) probably not look great, and B) might get caught on your show scraper or brush. The only other thought is to remove the mounting pads every fall and reapply every spring. Love your car, by the way.

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus
3,996 Posts
Hi All. Just thought I would share my install info if anyone else has an interest in the MP Concepts louvers for their Challenger. I went with a matte black to match the blackouts on my 2017 Challenger T/A. I found the fit of the louvers was over all, very good. Following instructions, I used the provided adhesive promoter on the metal mounting tabs and attached the double stick tape. I then sat the lovers on the window, making sure I lined up the top edge so there was no glass showing. That left a slight gap at the bottom, which was good as it provided clearance for the trunk. I eyeballed where the pads were going to land and put some adhesive promoter on the glass. Then I stuck the lover in place. After things were set, I unscrewed the louvers from mounting plates, pressed the plates down firmly, then left the car sit in the sun for a couple of hours. I then remounted the louvers. The install calls for foam blocks to be placed down the center of the louvers but I found I could see the blocks when they were in place(see photos), which I hated. So I beveled the back edge at a 45 degree angle and put them in place. They are damn near invisible now. Over all, I am very happy with this unit. I hope this post assists others who may install MP Concepts louvers the their cars in the future. View attachment 275101 View attachment 275102 View attachment 275103 View attachment 275104
Very nice writeup. It looks like they fit fairly well and the finish blends nicely with the OEM black surfaces. For anyone not winter-driving their car, these would be something worth considering. Much less money than those Dales Cuda Shop louvers I'm sure!

Reactions: P.M.F. & PAL

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very nice writeup. It looks like they fit fairly well and the finish blends nicely with the OEM black surfaces. For anyone not winter-driving their car, these would be something worth considering. Much less money than those Dales Cuda Shop louvers I'm sure!
But I sure wouldn't mind owning a '70's Cuda to put Dales Cuda Shop louvers on!

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus
3,996 Posts
Reactions: P.M.F. & PAL

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi All. Just thought I would share my install info if anyone else has an interest in the MP Concepts louvers for their Challenger. I went with a matte black to match the blackouts on my 2017 Challenger T/A. I found the fit of the louvers was over all, very good. Following instructions, I used the provided adhesive promoter on the metal mounting tabs and attached the double stick tape. I then sat the lovers on the window, making sure I lined up the top edge so there was no glass showing. That left a slight gap at the bottom, which was good as it provided clearance for the trunk. I eyeballed where the pads were going to land and put some adhesive promoter on the glass. Then I stuck the lover in place. After things were set, I unscrewed the louvers from mounting plates, pressed the plates down firmly, then left the car sit in the sun for a couple of hours. I then remounted the louvers. The install calls for foam blocks to be placed down the center of the louvers but I found I could see the blocks when they were in place(see photos), which I hated. So I beveled the back edge at a 45 degree angle and put them in place. They are damn near invisible now. Over all, I am very happy with this unit. I hope this post assists others who may install MP Concepts louvers the their cars in the future. View attachment 275101 View attachment 275102 View attachment 275103 View attachment 275104
So, looking at the louvers, I found I can still see the blocks pretty prominently. Next window cleaning, I will probably cut them back further.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
But I sure wouldn't mind owning a '70's Cuda to put Dales Cuda Shop louvers on!
Bought the MP Concept one but instead going with Dale's 'Cuda shop aluminum version instead..he said they should be in stock in about three weeks...expensive yes but looks more with the '70 retro look..but nice write up on the MP version.

·
Registered
2013 PlumCrazy R/T
1,577 Posts
Bought the MP Concept one but instead going with Dale's 'Cuda shop aluminum version instead..he said they should be in stock in about three weeks...expensive yes but looks more with the '70 retro look..but nice write up on the MP version.
You wont regret it. Dale's look awesome. Going to do mine as soon as I finish painting my house.
:( Dont know whats the big deal about drilling the roof. Pretty sure theirs a hole from the factory for the satellite antenna. Dont see that causing any issues.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Try painting those mounting blocks black and they will blend right in. I'd put some on my car but the brush less car wash wold most likely tear them up ?

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T 5.7L
10 Posts
I bought and installed that same kit. The issues i ran into was the brackets have spot welds on the glass side that have to be ground off. Then I discovered they used hollow bolts and they have a habit of snapping off. You wont know they are hollow unless you look at the back side of the bracket. I almost lost the whole thing on the highway. I question whether its real 3M tape they used. I went on amazon from a couple of referrals and found better made brackets.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I installed the Willpak aluminum louvers on my 12. This doesn't need the foam cushions and won't sag under the Texas heat. It's isn't as retro looking and costs more but I was happy with the quality and fit. It lifts off easily for cleaning the window.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I bought and installed that same kit. The issues i ran into was the brackets have spot welds on the glass side that have to be ground off. Then I discovered they used hollow bolts and they have a habit of snapping off. You wont know they are hollow unless you look at the back side of the bracket. I almost lost the whole thing on the highway. I question whether its real 3M tape they used. I went on amazon from a couple of referrals and found better made brackets.
The spot welds on my brackets were low and the 3M seemed to even it out. With the adhesive promoter, I have yet to have any problem with the unit coming loose, however, I've only had it on for 2 weeks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The spot welds on my brackets were low and the 3M seemed to even it out. With the adhesive promoter, I have yet to have any problem with the unit coming loose, however, I've only had it on for 2 weeks.
If you can, please let us know the brackets you found on Amazon that you like so we can purchase them if we need them. Thanks!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I installed the Willpak aluminum louvers on my 12. This doesn't need the foam cushions and won't sag under the Texas heat. It's isn't as retro looking and costs more but I was happy with the quality and fit. It lifts off easily for cleaning the window.

View attachment 275499
Congrats! Looks good! I don't have any sag issues, however, I do have some warping on the bottom edge that sometimes gets caught on the trunk. I only happens in high heat so I'm going to have to figure out how to help the situation.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts