Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to put a muffler (probably Flowmaster super 44 series) on my '12 SXT automatic. I just want a more aggressive sound, I am not looking for performance gain. I hear a lot of talk about the Blastin' Bobs resonator delete kits, but I am afraid resonator deletes might be too overbearing for me (this is my daily driver, 45 minutes each way).

My question is... where exactly IS the muffler on this car? There are two cylindrical shaped things in the middle of the car and then the big "suitcases" at the back bumper connecting to the exhaust tips. My dad thought the cylinders might be the cat's, but I'm pretty sure the cat's are closer to the front of the car. Also, am I going to need to buy 2 mufflers? Sorry, I'm not mechanically inclined :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Exhaust

Firstly Welcome to the Z

You are correct, the suitcases at the rear are the resonators.
Middle are the mufflers and just below the headers are the cats.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!

So basically, putting on mufflers would not do much to improve my sound, since it still has to flow through the resonators, right? Or am I way off on that? I am just afraid to delete the resonators because from everything I have heard, doing that on a V6, everyone hates it because there is a horrible drone. Driving 45 minutes each way, I don't want to deal with that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Exhaust

From my experience to get that more aggressive sound you would need to delete the resonators by doing so you will get a certain amount of drone through the car, what I did to eliminate some of that drone was insulate my trunk and the underside of the vehicle with insulation or sound deadening material.
I have Pypes Violator system on my Challenger
It is loud & aggressive sounding, with a lot of drone.
As I said insulation helped a little.
Pypes also do Street Pro & Race Pro series
I believe there's a YouTube clip of a challenger for you to hear.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
With an auto, you will have lots of drone if you do a reso delete with straight pipe. However there is another option. You can replace the resos with pipes that have glasspacks added to them - pretty inexpensive and it is a good way to control (if not eliminate) the drone. Blastin Bob's has several differnt styles of glasspacks so the sound is moderated to different degrees depending on which style you go with. I also know some folks have replaced the mufflers with straight pipe and left the resos on and were happy with that result.

Here are a few good threads worth checking out - good luck!

http://www.challengerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=79545

http://www.challengerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=94566

http://www.challengerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=95457&page=2

Reactions: HemiMetal

·
Banned
473 Posts
With an auto, you will have lots of drone if you do a reso delete with straight pipe. However there is another option. You can replace the resos with pipes that have glasspacks added to them - pretty inexpensive and it is a good way to control (if not eliminate) the drone. Blastin Bob's has several differnt styles of glasspacks so the sound is moderated to different degrees depending on which style you go with. I also know some folks have replaced the mufflers with straight pipe and left the resos on and were happy with that result.

Here are a few good threads worth checking out - good luck!

http://www.challengerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=79545

http://www.challengerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=94566

http://www.challengerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=95457&page=2
Very informative links, but these will not necessarily help the OP since he as the V6. From what I've seen/heard, the resonance is totally different for the V6. However, it may give an idea of what to search for - just modify the search for V6 applications. There are plenty of vids out there for these type of mods on a V6, but I'd have a hard time picking one without hearing a setup in person.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Very informative links, but these will not necessarily help the OP since he as the V6. From what I've seen/heard, the resonance is totally different for the V6. However, it may give an idea of what to search for - just modify the search for V6 applications. There are plenty of vids out there for these type of mods on a V6, but I'd have a hard time picking one without hearing a setup in person.
good catch - i didnt pick up the V6. agree with your toughts on checking them out!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up buying and installing the Blastin Bobs resonator delete kit... I hate it: it sounds like a honda civic with one of those fat mufflers. I'm embarrassed to drive it now. I'll be dumping money into new mufflers ASAP.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Exhaust is totally subjective...but I have never heard a BB kit on a V6 Challenger that sounded remotely tolerable.

To my ears Flowmasters sound the best but have some drone issues...The delta series do tone down the drone a good bit but its still there. Magnas have more of a performance sound than the deep and throaty sound I typically like. The cat back systems are too expensive in my opinion. I'm looking into the Jones Full Boar route now...some of the best setups I've heard on the 3.6

·
Registered
416 Posts
keep the resos ( of some sort )on there or you will get to enjoy tooth rattling, causing your ears to bleed drone.

Unless of course you happen to be into that sorta thing then by all means cut them off.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I put Flowmaster 40 Series on my 2011 Dodge Challenger SE 3.6lv6 when I had it and deleted the resonators.Sounded great at idle and good through most rpm ranges but there is some drone at 35-45mph.Unfortunately these engines sound like a ricer if you just delete the resonators.I actually tried the 40 Series with the resonators still in place but it sounded NO different than factory.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Exhaust is totally subjective...but I have never heard a BB kit on a V6 Challenger that sounded remotely tolerable.

To my ears Flowmasters sound the best but have some drone issues...The delta series do tone down the drone a good bit but its still there. Magnas have more of a performance sound than the deep and throaty sound I typically like. The cat back systems are too expensive in my opinion. I'm looking into the Jones Full Boar route now...some of the best setups I've heard on the 3.6
Can you tell us more about the Jones Full Boar setup that you like? Are you thinking of changing out the mufflers and reso's or just one or the other? I've looked at their website and I'm confused.

Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've been talking to the guys on the other Challenger forum and to imitate their sound you have to remove the Resos and Muffs and replace it with a single dual in/dual out JFB. It's seems pretty counterintuitive using a single large muffler for a dual exhaust system but some kind of crazy ninja elf magic makes it sound much better. They are talking about engine pulse, dumping 6 cyl into a muff instead of three, and how it lowers the tone of the high pitched 3.6 engine.
Their website isn't very user friendly.

Originally guys with the 3.5 motor (not dual exhaust) were using JFBs as a single in/dual out to get sound and two pipes running out the back of the car. When our 3.6 came along they started using the dual in/dual out for a very similar effect. The 3.6 has a much more high pitch tone that the 3.5 but I guess that’s the trade off for 50 more hp. The JFB route basically gives you two options.

The JFB 4554 "Deflector" muffler...akin to the flowmaster chambered sound and design that they "improved" and offer in a DI/DO (which flowmaster doesn’t offer). I have heard this muffler in person recently and have to say its pretty darn impressive on a SXT. Owner swears there is super minimal to no cabin drone after a two week break in.

Your other JFB option is the V413F Dual in/Dual out V power muffler. It's a different internal design that is suppose to eliminate cabin drone all together. It's not as aggressive and not as throaty but an improvement over the stock set up. This has been compared to the flowmaster delta series with the V style plates.

I'm a flowmaster fan...my previous two vehicles had them but after experiencing the drone out of an auto SXT with dual flow 40s I wasn't sure that was the best route for my Challenger

·
Registered
235 Posts
Wiser...I really appreciate your response. That's a lot of interesting info that I haven't heard before. I will be looking into this for sure.

Sending reps to you. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I hate to say it because I like this forum better but there is a lot more traffic over there...and with that comes a lot more options for exhaust that has been tried. I'm still in the research phase though...I only plan on replacing my exhaust once. Hopefully.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Update?

Wiser, what did you end up doing?

I have a 3.6 and decided to go with a dual in/dual out Jones muffler, but still can't decide whether to go with the FB4554 or the V413F?

I've been talking to the guys on the other Challenger forum and to imitate their sound you have to remove the Resos and Muffs and replace it with a single dual in/dual out JFB. It's seems pretty counterintuitive using a single large muffler for a dual exhaust system but some kind of crazy ninja elf magic makes it sound much better. They are talking about engine pulse, dumping 6 cyl into a muff instead of three, and how it lowers the tone of the high pitched 3.6 engine.
Their website isn't very user friendly.

Originally guys with the 3.5 motor (not dual exhaust) were using JFBs as a single in/dual out to get sound and two pipes running out the back of the car. When our 3.6 came along they started using the dual in/dual out for a very similar effect. The 3.6 has a much more high pitch tone that the 3.5 but I guess that’s the trade off for 50 more hp. The JFB route basically gives you two options.

The JFB 4554 "Deflector" muffler...akin to the flowmaster chambered sound and design that they "improved" and offer in a DI/DO (which flowmaster doesn’t offer). I have heard this muffler in person recently and have to say its pretty darn impressive on a SXT. Owner swears there is super minimal to no cabin drone after a two week break in.

Your other JFB option is the V413F Dual in/Dual out V power muffler. It's a different internal design that is suppose to eliminate cabin drone all together. It's not as aggressive and not as throaty but an improvement over the stock set up. This has been compared to the flowmaster delta series with the V style plates.

I'm a flowmaster fan...my previous two vehicles had them but after experiencing the drone out of an auto SXT with dual flow 40s I wasn't sure that was the best route for my Challenger

·
Registered
636 Posts
Don't you love it when a guy starts a thread and asks for all kinds of info and then disapears??

I spent a whopping $100.00 to have the mid cans (mufflers to most here) cut out and just pipe welded in place.

Gave it NICE DEEPER tone and virtually NO drone because I left the suitcases on at the tips. Louder but not TOO loud

If you want to try this have the shop leave about 2 inches of pipe on each end of the muffler so you can have them put back on IF you don't like the sound.

Also, after you do this drive it for a week or so becasue at first I thought it was too quiet but after about 100 miles it got slightly louder and I LOVE it!!! AND I didn't spend $800.00 or more for a new system!!

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Don't you love it when a guy starts a thread and asks for all kinds of info and then disapears??

I spent a whopping $100.00 to have the mid cans (mufflers to most here) cut out and just pipe welded in place.

Gave it NICE DEEPER tone and virtually NO drone because I left the suitcases on at the tips. Louder but not TOO loud

If you want to try this have the shop leave about 2 inches of pipe on each end of the muffler so you can have them put back on IF you don't like the sound.

Also, after you do this drive it for a week or so becasue at first I thought it was too quiet but after about 100 miles it got slightly louder and I LOVE it!!! AND I didn't spend $800.00 or more for a new system!!
Did you notice any low end torque loss.
When I did that setup on my V8 RT I loved it, car had a nice gurggle
when slowing down. Does it just sound louder or did you get some
of that rumble that the V8's have.
Honestly my first Challenger was a 2010 SE 3.5l I installed a Borla
catback system. The car had massive drone and just sounded like a
loud hum, no engine notes at all. Don't want to go that route again.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Did you notice any low end torque loss.
When I did that setup on my V8 RT I loved it, car had a nice gurggle
when slowing down. Does it just sound louder or did you get some
of that rumble that the V8's have.
Honestly my first Challenger was a 2010 SE 3.5l I installed a Borla
catback system. The car had massive drone and just sounded like a
loud hum, no engine notes at all. Don't want to go that route again.
Nope, no low end torque loss that I noticed.

I have some rumble but not as deep as a V8 obviously, but it doesn't sound like a rice rocket either!

The BORLA system is too quiet I am told, don't know why people pay all that money for it, must be the name? Very little drone with the mid-cans (mufflers) cut out, I like it a LOT!! and it was CHEAP to do.
You should be able to get it done for $100.00 or less.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts