Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 1971 Challenger RT 4 sp w/ 383 ci.
Can't wait to get it out of the shop (hopefully next week). On the really, really nice days I will drive the original. My 2014 is still the best but there is something very visceral about the sound and feel of the original. Someone once said you don't "drive" these cars...you "wear" them!

Attachments

·
How fa$$$t do want to go?
9,047 Posts
Congrats on the 71, that's one beautiful car. Sorry to hear you'll have to drive the 'beater' the rest of the time. Enjoy--:smileup:

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Can't wait to get it out of the shop (hopefully next week). On the really, really nice days I will drive the original. My 2014 is still the best but there is something very visceral about the sound and feel of the original. Someone once said you don't "drive" these cars...you "wear" them!
been considering a 71 challenger or cuda , but my challenger will never be my beater!

Your 71 looks awesome!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Had a guy tell me that his got 9 miles per gallon so I'd say you'll end up driving the '14 a lot more than the '71. :)

Beautiful car though.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,728 Posts
That is a great looking 71:smileup::smileup:

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Very good looking car, and not a bad beater either! :smileup:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Great looking 71...but the 383 does like the premium gas....I had a 70 340 Swinger 4 speed that was a great car but got about 8-10 MPG back during the 1973 gas crisis...sat in gas lines more than once!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Very nice score!

Not to keep the thread going off in another direction, I do find it amazing how bad the gas mileage on those cars were. But I guess when gas was 50 cents a gallon no one really cared much.

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
Gave me chills looking at that '71.....

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My '73 Cuda got 12 mpg on its good days so I am definitely expecting single digits around town:)

Thanks for the comments:):):)

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Cool deal beautiful 71, I have an old 70 and a 71 cuda and yes my 2012 is my daily beater :gy::gy::gy:,I am really liking the new on more and more:SHOCKED:

·
Registered
193 Posts
That 71 is freaking gorgeous!!!

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I like your 71, very nice. What rear gears? I owned a 70 Challenger convertible for about 15 years. I sold it about 15 years ago and bought a 70 Road Runner. I sold the Road Runner about 10 years ago and was without a cool car until I bought my 2010.

My Challenger was a non RT 383 4bbl. The only difference between that and a 383 Magnum was the cam and I had a magnum cam in mine. It was a auto, power windows, power brakes AC car. It wasn't that heavy, it weighed about 3650 lbs. It had a 3.23 rear end and I had 3.91's in it for a while. It did better on gas than you would think. I kept it tuned well and had electronic ignition and the AVS carb. It wouldn't haul down 20 mpg but it would get in the upper teens.

I also owned a 72 Sattelite with a 318 and some crazy highway gears, something like 2.71 gears. That car would haul down 23 mpg on a regular basis. If kept running well a lot of those old cars would surprise you on fuel mileage. Good luck with it and post some more pics when you get a chance.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
beautiful car... i really like the blue on blue and the side scoops...

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It has a posi 3.55 rear axle ratio and seems to be stock in most every department except for the cd player. No A/C and no power windows or locks. Will post some more pics after I actually drive it home (after some minor work and VA inspection). It has got to be quite a bit lighter than its big brother!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts