Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2014 Dodge Challenger. I drive back and forth from Bakersfield to L.A. Well, EVERYTIME I come back from L.A to Bakersfield I hit a spot that is downhill. I press the brake lightly to keep the car at about 65 and it shakes A LOT. It's not the road, I've driven over ten cars back and forth on this place and it's only my Challenger. I put brand new tires and it's still doing it.

It sometimes does it in other roads when I lightly press the brake, but it's rare.
I've also noticed that it sometimes does that small shake when i'm going at about 60-70 in the Highway, but once it gets at about 80, it stops and runs smoothly.

I have no idea what it could be? Warped rotor? Something else? Please help. Thanks

EDIT: Car MIleage is at 80k, it's been doing since I bought it at 50k

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,530 Posts
More than likely, warped rotors. Of course, you’ll want to check the pads too. You didn’t mention your car mileage.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Check your driveshaft center carrier bearing, it may be ripped apart. I believe this is your problem

Reactions: P.M.F. & PAL

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
I have a 2014 Dodge Challenger. I drive back and forth from Bakersfield to L.A. Well, EVERYTIME I come back from L.A to Bakersfield I hit a spot that is downhill. I press the brake lightly to keep the car at about 65 and it shakes A LOT. It's not the road, I've driven over ten cars back and forth on this place and it's only my Challenger. I put brand new tires and it's still doing it.

It sometimes does it in other roads when I lightly press the brake, but it's rare.
I've also noticed that it sometimes does that small shake when i'm going at about 60-70 in the Highway, but once it gets at about 80, it stops and runs smoothly.

I have no idea what it could be? Warped rotor? Something else? Please help. Thanks
Your avatar is cool...........Fredrick Douglass.........in my opinion, the smartest man who ever lived.

·
Premium Member
2,171 Posts
I was told that the rotors on the Challengers from ‘09–14 were very thin and couldn’t be turned. Perhaps you inadvertently had this done last brake change? Do you have those caliper covers that were a popular aftermarket mod? Those can cause the rotors to get hot, too. With that many miles, you probably shouldn’t have the original rotors on them. A brakes shop should be able to answer that question for you - I think many of them give free estimates. Keep us posted cause I”m curious, too!

·
How fa$$$t do want to go?
9,030 Posts
Visit a reputable front end shop. Sounds like tie rods or possibly worn front suspension bushings. Had similar issue with my 2010 R/T at 36,000 miles. Needed both upper control arms and both tie rods replaced (bushings were shot). Bushings looked good, but were worn causing excessive movement. Work was done three years ago and no problems since.

·
Registered
113 Posts
It was already said on the 2nd post, but I had that issue with my Buick Regal. Changed the breaks, checked alignment and a couple of other things done.

Come to find out it was the rotors.
Had to replace the fronts two in my case and it was fantastic after the repair.

So have them checked before taking that route and welcome from Cali.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Welcome to the “Z”...

I know the Grapevine very well !!! It’s not a road to play with or take lightly.

If your money is tight; start with a simple Brake Check at Brakes Plus, or some place reputable... Then go from there.
It could be something as cost effective as Rotor Warp, up to Tie Rod Replacement or more.

But, to continue just coasting down that MOUNTAIN is no joke at 70+ mph!

I use to drive I-5 from L.A to Sacto regularly, so get the Brakes & Front End checked out before we read about you on the evening News.

Tony

·
Trigger657
2,558 Posts
I was told that the rotors on the Challengers from ‘09–14 were very thin and couldn’t be turned. Perhaps you inadvertently had this done last brake change? Do you have those caliper covers that were a popular aftermarket mod? Those can cause the rotors to get hot, too. With that many miles, you probably shouldn’t have the original rotors on them. A brakes shop should be able to answer that question for you - I think many of them give free estimates. Keep us posted cause I”m curious, too!
Yes, I agree with the others, first check the rotors.
I have a 2014 SRT8 and I've had the rotors turned twice and doing it again now. This time I will be replacing the rotors. No no more turning. 62,000 Miles is all I have now on the clock.

·
Trigger657
2,558 Posts
I had this shaking on my 2012 Challenger. Replacing the rotors and pads fixed it completely. I believe I warped my rotors at the drag strip with hard breaking to make that 1st left exit.
I think my problem was running through puddles of water and hitting the hot rotors with cool water.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Canadian Built Challenger
374 Posts
Power Stop Z17 or Z23 Rotors and Pads affordable and Excellent Product if you need Replacing...
If you use pay pal order them through CarID and can use a Pay in 4 Option that bills every 2 weeks
so its a little more wallet friendly.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts