Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Challenger R/T: A5, TSP Stage 3 cam, LT headers, 2800 stall
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 2010 Challenger R/T for about a year now, and I've already tried a number of things trying to achieve a satisfactory exhaust sound.

First, I had the mid-muffler removed, then I installed JBA shorty headers, and lastly, I removed the resonators. I know a ton of people ask about these mods, so I figured I'd compile everything I have recorded, and make a video about the differences and what my thoughts are on it. Hope this helps someone!

·
Registered
2014 Boosted 392 Stroker Shaker
4,281 Posts
And knowing you went to straight pipes, I thought you were going to say you finally installed the exhaust from Journey...

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
I've had my 2010 Challenger R/T for about a year now, and I've already tried a number of things trying to achieve a satisfactory exhaust sound.

First, I had the mid-muffler removed, then I installed JBA shorty headers, and lastly, I removed the resonators. I know a ton of people ask about these mods, so I figured I'd compile everything I have recorded, and make a video about the differences and what my thoughts are on it. Hope this helps someone!
Sounds surprisingly good I guess time will tell if you need to tone it down some. :)

Your exhaust experimentation is similar to what I did, when I bought my 5.7 it had FlowMaster American Thunder with the 2 Super 40 mufflers installed by the previous owner. The Super 40s are chambered mufflers and had a raspy sound to them which over time became irritating as the interior drone was really bad about 2,000 rpm, so bad it would set up a vibration that actually rattled something in the dash.

I watched online exhaust videos but really could not come to any descent conclusion, simply because most really good cat back systems are expensive, and I did not want to buy a system and then regret it later. I had more past experience with the glasspack style mufflers, so I decided to do a cheap experiment since I was going to do all the work myself. I bought 2 24" Cherry Bomb and 2 8" Cherry Bomb glasspacks, cut out the Super 40s and put the 24s as mufflers and installed the 8s as tailpipe resonators.

They sounded fantastic interior drone was completely gone, but that setup actually hurt my 5.7s 0 ~ 60 performance, compared to the Super 40s by themselves? Seeing as how all my upgrades are about getting more performance out of the 5.7 taking a performance hit was unacceptable, no matter how it sounded. I removed the 8s as resonators and just left the 24" as mufflers, not only was the performance back it was better than the Super 40s. So from that experiment I knew going the glasspack route with a cat back exhaust was what I was going to do, so I started shopping for a true glasspack system, because I love the deep rumbly sound.

I installed BBK Shorty headers, MagnaFlow High Flow Cats, and the MagnaFlow Competition Series cat back system. When the MagnaFlow Competition system showed up I got a little concerned because the glasspack was only 12" long, half of what I had experimented with, and would it be too loud. The answer was no, it was actually perfect because the X crossover actually has a noise canceling effect at lower rpms, but when you put your foot in it, the scavenging effect is all business.

It does not bother my neighbors or attract any unwanted Police interest, but I have to look around to be sure the coast is clear especially in town before giving her too much throttle, the MagnaFlow is a really good exhaust, no complaints, and performance wise the 5.7 loves it, it has significantly improved 0 ~ 60 performance over what it was.

Nice Video, Thanks for sharing it! :) Ry

·
Registered
2010 Challenger R/T: A5, TSP Stage 3 cam, LT headers, 2800 stall
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I think my engine is breathing a little better after the change. Seems to be more responsive!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts