Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
"Turn on, tune in, drop out"
17,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He said he was going through his computer for inventory purposes and came up to my name. He first asked if I still owned my Challenger. He then asked me if I were contemplating trading it in for a newer model. I said "No" but I would like to order a Hellcat. The conversation went on for about 15 minutes and this is what he had to offer.

1) his dealership is getting 2 Hellcats
2) he said Chrysler is sending them two versions. core and/or loaded he did not know
3) word around their place is about 2,500 will be introduced to the USA market
4) he stated that a 15-20k markup was going to be added to msrp
5) the $59,900 apparently isnt even enough to get it ordered. you have to build it out and that will increase price somewhat
6) he believes that out-the-door will be 90k to the consumer

I take what he said with a grain of salt. He wasn't very clear on the Aug 8 date if you walked in that would secure you a Hellcat. Just an FYI -

·
Registered
575 Posts
All that seems to match what I've been reading elsewhere.

Some will b*tch about the markup. Me, I have no problem with it whatsoever. Sell them for whatever the market will bear. If the going rate is $15-$20K over MSRP, why should I expect my dealer or any dealer to sell it to me or anyone else for less?

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
90K is more in-line with what I figured it would originally cost....but the $15K dealer mark-up is pure highway robbery! The MSRP could almost make it affordable to the gainfully employed common man (or woman). I'm sure the cars will sell no matter what the cost is. If the Hellcat is produced for a few years the dealer mark-up may drop, especially if the production number increases......you gotta ask yourself - "Do you need it now or can you wait?"

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Just what I said before....
Let the games begin.

I'm 6th on my dealers list for a Hellcat at MSRP - order goes in Friday when the order-banks open. No bidding war, no markup, no DMA and no BS.
I hated it when dealers insulted my intelligence and lied to me in the past. Instead of punching them in the mouth, I punched them in their wallet. I found a dealer with some integrity.... MSRP for the Hellcat - not a penny more.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Patience will get you a Hell Cat for MSRP. The people with more money than sense will be the ones that have to have the first ones on the lot, yeah they'll pay the mark ups. However, Dodge did state that they will build as many as the market seeks. Once the initial allotment are out there, you'll be able to order them just as any other Challenger. As with any car purchase, finding a good dealership to work with is the key.

·
12,989 Posts
For 90K ill stick with my R/T.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Cant speak for The US dealers but no such story being given up here. MSRP LADR22 $63995.00, CPP 26R No Charge, ESD 6.2 supercharged NO Charge DFE 8-Speed auto No Charge , -x9 black hood No Charge, MYW tire upgrade $1000.00 And dealer cost is shown as $59570.00. I have purchased 11 vehicles from the same dealer over the last 3 years and 22 over the last 26 years. He says Canada will likely only get 80 to 90 units for 2015 and odds are not great we will see one but that's what they said about our FF and we got that and for MSRP as well. I do recall a US dealer trying to sell a FF SRT for $86000.00 at the time. I guess its not against the law to try and screw someone!! Eny who i'm ok with waiting if I have to . :wavey:

·
Registered
575 Posts
... I guess its not against the law to try and screw someone!! ...
Nor should it ever be. It only happens when it's 100% consensual.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My Dealer sang the same song. Told me he could order it for me but it was going to be about 15K over MRSP. I said... Meh.. and ordered a 2015 SRT8 instead.

S

·
0 Posts
I had one of the dealers I've been talking to shoot me an email just now telling me Chrysler gave him a date of this Thursday, August 7th for when dealers will be notified of their allocation numbers for the Hellcat. He said he was unofficially told to only expect 1 or 2 units at his dealership, one of which the owners have already all but set aside for a family member.

Another salesman told me his manager is saying potential buyers should expect to pay at least $10k over MSRP due to limited availability.

Neither seemed to think they would be able to order specific units for specific customers.

A third, however, said he didn't think ordering a unit to my specifications would be much of a problem, but said he had nothing firm on order bank opening dates yet. He also told me nobody else was on the list or in line at his dealership yet for one (other than me).

Obviously the who, what, when, where and how information being relayed near me is all over the map.

Anyway, just wanted to share a few of the things I've been hearing to help flesh out the picture.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I am dealing with a large volume Chrysler Dodge Jeep dealership. I was there late last week talking to my sales guy and the new car sales manager. I am number 5 on their list. They told me the MSRP and mentioned nothing, which I know the sales rep would have told me as I have bought several vehicles from him, about a "dealer mark up" on the MSRP.
If someone would do that shame on them and I would never do any business there and would urge everyone I knew not to either. I feel it would be un-ethical.

That's my opinion though.

·
Registered
575 Posts
... They told me the MSRP and mentioned nothing, which I know the sales rep would have told me as I have bought several vehicles from him, about a "dealer mark up" on the MSRP.
If someone would do that shame on them and I would never do any business there and would urge everyone I knew not to either. I feel it would be un-ethical.

That's my opinion though.
I agree it would be unethical to quote you MSRP now and add a markup later if your discussion arrived at any sort of an agreement.

But, if you're saying any dealer markup over MSRP would be unethical, I must disagree. The "S" in MSRP is there for a reason and works in both directions. Dealers must be free to weigh all their options, including to charge what the market will bear, and not be shackled by some faceless, corporate bean counters and marketing wonks who risk nothing and might simply like the sound of (for example) "$59,995" because it happens to be under the $60K target they pulled out of their crystal ball.

Whenever I'm dissatisfied with the deal one dealer is offering, I'm free to go somewhere else.

And that's all just my opinion, of course. :smileup:

·
Registered
889 Posts
I worked for a dealer in high school and college and watched with disgust as they marked up from sticker. Saw them do in on Grand Nationals, GNX's, ZR1's. But my favorite was the 35th anniversary Camaro SS LT4. They turned down $50k+ when it came in but several months later sold it for under MSRP. Karma's a bitch:hah:

S

·
0 Posts
I agree it would be unethical to quote you MSRP now and add a markup later if your discussion arrived at any sort of an agreement.

But, if you're saying any dealer markup over MSRP would be unethical, I must disagree. The "S" in MSRP is there for a reason and works in both directions. Dealers must be free to weigh all their options, including to charge what the market will bear, and not be shackled by some faceless, corporate bean counters and marketing wonks who risk nothing and might simply like the sound of (for example) "$59,995" because it happens to be under the $60K target they pulled out of their crystal ball.

Whenever I'm dissatisfied with the deal one dealer is offering, I'm free to go somewhere else.

And that's all just my opinion, of course. :smileup:
I agree 100% with this. I have no respect for dealers that play games, don't live up to their word, or shift the lines on customers. However, so long as they are up front and honest about their policies and intentions, I think they should be free to earn as much profit as the market will bear. It's precisely why I'm in touch with a number of dealers so I can shop for the best service, price, etc.

When I was in the market for my current Challenger, I had an exact number for the most I was willing to pay and the type of salesperson/dealer I wanted to deal with. So I shopped around and compared one to another. The one I ultimately purchased from was incredibly helpful, friendly and communicative, and offered the vehicle at an all-in/bottom line price that was among the 3 lowest (not actually the lowest offer though). I was essentially pitting dealers against one another and seeing which had the best offer on the whole package that an auto purchase entails. It's not really different than having contractors bid on a project, and it doesn't have to be contentious or adversarial. I was up front and honest with each salesperson and dealer I talked with that I was shopping among dealers.

The unethical ones lie and cheat. I did have a couple that flat out lied about what they had available or could acquire, and what their prices were, and many other things, all just to "get me in the door". It made it easy to close the door on those dealers forever and warn family and friends away from them in the future.

Anyway, I'm not looking to pay a markup or get into a bidding war. If I can find the car at MSRP I'll get it, and if not, I'll wait.

·
Premium Member
21,633 Posts

:smileup:
And the $59,995 is not true.
They are leaving out the $995.00 destination fee plus other little tidbits as taxes and opting for the new heavy duty TorqueFlite 8-speed automatic transmission increases that base MSRP to $62,636. plus the $995 for $63,631

See more at: http://www.torquenews.com/106/full-...-hellcat-orders-begin-86#sthash.9w29w0LO.dpuf
Op

1 - 20 of 71 Posts