Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decide I want to install a K&N drop in air filter, I have put them in all my motorcycles and don't want a CAI at this point and it's such a easy job right ? Well I get my magnetic screw driver to remove the screws in the air filter housing and get the 1st one out then unscrewing the 2nd one I am so taken in by the looks of the engine I unscrewed it too much and yep it fell down in front of the housing, I get the flashlight and start looking, can't see it anywhere so I lie on the floor hoping it fell under the car but nope not there so I take the 3rd one out (paying much more attention) and change the filter and put the 2 screws back that I did not lose. I then got my magnetic scope tool thingy just sticking it in the groves and holes hoping it'll find the screw somehow but no luck, I again take the flashlight and then start thinking OMG what if I start the car and it's near the fan or something it'll tear my car up. I then sat down had a cigar said a little prayer and went back with the flashlight and somehow saw the very end of the screw maybe the last 2 threads of it poking out not really sure if that was the screw and I take my magnetic scope tool thingy and when I saw that screw on the end of it I started breathing again. :SHOCKED:

I should have a reality show, only I could cause so much stress and drama putting in a air filter. :i_rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
Thank God for those Magnetic Telescoping Tools....I'm sure they have saved a LOT of us at one time or another. Unfortunately, last Summer, while I was detailing my Engine Bay, I lost a Diamond from my wedding band!!!! Never found it.

·
Premium Member
39,846 Posts
Glad you found it! Lesson Learned!

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
LOL! At least you found what you lost down there. I didn't have one of those telescoping magnetic thingys and I tried a couple of fast take-offs to get a 6mm socket it to come out. That was 4 years ago and to this day I don't know if it ever came out. I never did find it when the cover was removed for my oil changes either.

·
13,007 Posts
You definitely got lucky!!

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
11,025 Posts
Same thing happened to me last Sunday as I was installing my catch can. lost 2 bolts down the front of my Challenger. I was able to retrieve both with my magnet tool. Glad I had that sucker in my toolbox!

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
What is this magic magnetic tool you all are speaking of?! I dropped a tool one time in my engine changing out my oil, luckily my little noodly arms were able to snake in there and get it! Probably would have been a heckuva lot easier with some magnetic help!

Glad you were able to get the screw you dropped though, work first, gawk later! :D

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
11,025 Posts
What is this magic magnetic tool you all are speaking of?! I dropped a tool one time in my engine changing out my oil, luckily my little noodly arms were able to snake in there and get it! Probably would have been a heckuva lot easier with some magnetic help!

Glad you were able to get the screw you dropped though, work first, gawk later! :D
Noodly arms are usually awesome for this application, but the magnetic thingy works crazy good too!

·
Andy
3,906 Posts
that is pretty lucky....and I pull out the extendable magnet typically before I even grab any wrenches or screw drivers...I'm such a clutz when it comes to the little pieces!!!!

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Magnetic telescoping tools and mirrors are a must have for toolboxes (also one of those flexible retractable grabbers (dont remember what they are called exactly)). It saved me BIG time many years ago when I dropped a nut down the throat of one of the carbs on my '67. I was having trouble with jetting on one of the carbs and rather than pull the carb off "smart me" figured - I can fix this on while on the car - WRONG!!!

When I started pulling the top off of the carb I carelessly dropped a small nut. To my horror I went down the carb throat (and of course the throttle plate was open) and I could hear it tumbling down one of the tunnel ram runners. 60 seconds of serious cursing followed along with dark images of a future hole in my piston and a blown motor. I was sweating serious bullets at this point.

I removed both carbs cursing loudly with each turn of the wrench and getting progressively freaked out as I thought about all that could go wrong. I pulled out a mag tool with a flexible extension and another telescoping mirror (with built in light of course). I poked around down each intake runner until I thought I caught sight of a small gleam, and then sent the mag tool down after it. After a couple of minutes of moving it around I finally was able to pull it out. Best I can figure I was extremely lucky that the nut had caught on a valve that was almost fully seated and hadnt opened far enough to let it slip down into the cylinder bore.

Even though start to finish it took only 10 minutes to fish it out it was a LONG 10 minutes. I was sweating so bad that I recall having to go inside and change shirts.

Lesson learned - NEVER take the top of a carb apart while on the motor - stupid, stupid me!!!

Redline - glad your story had a happier ending!!!

·
Registered
8,516 Posts
RedLine14,

"I should have a reality show, only I could cause so much stress and drama putting in a air filter."

LMAO! These situations are always funny later but not during the search!

Probably one of the worst things a mechanic experiences is the sound of a small screw, washer, nut, or a jesus clip making those sick tink tink noises as they fall or fly out of sight, LOL!

Good for you that you found and retried it!

·
Seeing red
14,951 Posts
Magnetic telescoping tools and mirrors are a must have for toolboxes (also one of those flexible retractable grabbers (dont remember what they are called exactly)). It saved me BIG time many years ago when I dropped a nut down the throat of one of the carbs on my '67.
Here is what I believe you are referring to:

and a link to it. A flexible claw pick up tool.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31Q75xUV2eL.jpg

Reactions: ply67cuda

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
11,025 Posts
Here's another useful freebie I picked up from Harbor Freight a few weeks ago

Like the magnetic pickup tool, a magnetic dish is something you know you should have but often overlook. But it's the best way to keep track of all your bolts, screws, and washers. I even use it to corral my socket wrenches I have out when I'm working on something. The best part is that the base is also magnetic, so you can clamp that sucker on the side of your fender if needed.

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
31,056 Posts

Like the magnetic pickup tool, a magnetic dish is something you know you should have but often overlook. But it's the best way to keep track of all your bolts, screws, and washers. I even use it to corral my socket wrenches I have out when I'm working on something. The best part is that the base is also magnetic, so you can clamp that sucker on the side of your fender if needed.
Yes, those dishes are great. I bought both my husband and my son one for Christmas a few years ago. Last month I was out in the shop and my son was working on his truck and there was that dish with various screws and bolts in it on the hood of his pickup. A great tool!!

·
Registered
4,321 Posts

Thats pretty cool! - On my to do list for this weekend!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
LOL. And I though I was the only one in the world that things like this happened to.
You're way out of your league with me buddy LOL. When I put my stealth mud flaps on I sliced straight down the bridge of my nose with a utility razor blade, lucky I didn't lose a eye or do worse damage.

I'm quite handy but had spinal surgery so my hands and arms don't work like they should and I have fallen just walking because my balance is screwed up.

I get frustrated but love working with my hands, I make Tim Allen on tool time look like a rocket surgeon LOL

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.