Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Challenger Race Track Report
I took my 2013 SXT+ out to Palm Beach International Raceway for a Hooked on Driving track day event. I rode with a driving coach for three 30min sessions on a 2 ¼ mile road track with 10 turns. This was a no speed limit, limited passing zone event with 18 cars in my beginners group. I had the only Challenger. I also had the heaviest car with the highest roof line. There were many Corvettes, BMW’s, Mercedes, and a few V8 Mustangs.
My car held up well and did not embarrass. My Chally took the corners OK, not great, but decent. Body roll was there, but not as bad as one might imagine. The car’s weight and relative high center of gravity worked against it in the turns- Take a look at the road course track here: www.racepbir.com. But again, not terrible. Dodge has done a good job mitigating these things. If only the car was a wee bit lighter and lower – Oh Boy!!!
My car has the Pentastar V6 with CAI and real hood scoops. 5 speed auto tranny. No other relevant mods. I never used all the power the car had. In the turns it had plenty of power to hit the apex’s and track out. On the straightaways, I would hammer the gas and 118mph was all I was comfortable with on the top end. The car had plenty more to give. But for me, the turn at the end comes mighty quick at a 120mph!
Mechanically, the car held together well. No squeaks, moans or groans from the suspension or motor. No fluid leaks. Engine temp was normal the whole time. My front brake pads seem to be about 30% gone. Front rotors showed some bluing. I’m told this comes from extremely high temps. I had no brake fade even though I was really getting them hot. My stock Michelin tires showed wear also. I got some cupping on the fronts. But at times I had the car almost sliding sideways on the track. I got close to the edge of the cars turning envelope a few times.
Overall I thought the Challenger put in a solid performance within its design capabilities. Nothing fell off, broke or blew up running this car hard!
I hope this entertains and enlightens those with Challenger fever!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Great post! Reps inbound!

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
Glad you got a chance to really stretch your Challenger's legs! Thanks for sharing!:smileup:

·
Registered
22,670 Posts
Sounds like you had a great time, it's always fun to take these cars to the track. :smileup:

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,566 Posts
That was a Great time! Glad you enjoyed it!

·
Politically correct.
'09 SRT 440 HEMI
11,170 Posts
Awesome!! Glad to see a stock SXT did so well!!

Get yourself some performance lowering springs like Mopar's and a set of sway bars and you'll see that the car will corner better and then you can get a better run into the straights.

I did a similar event the last two years at Pocono. It's a blast! I like it better that the 1/4 mile strip.

http://www.challengerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=85711

:4-wavey:

·
Slower Traffic Keep Right
5,416 Posts
Awesome! I am jealous! Thanks for sharing!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts