Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My very cocky subaru-owning friend is challenging me to a race on the drag strip.

He claims to have 368 BHP (brake-hp, whatever the hell that is)
I have 410 HP with a few mods in the spring which will bring me up to at least 420 HP

Is he for real? I hate subaru owners!!!

· Registered
13,190 Posts
Think those cars are high 13's stock. If he's got some stuff done to it maybe low/mid 13's at best. Most likely unless he's a regular at the track, mid/high 13's. Your car should do low/mid 13's. I think you'll beat him unless he's really sandbagging and not telling you all the stuff he has done to his car or you blow it out of the hole and spin and he just takes off. Those Subaru's have AWD so he'll just launch straight out of the hole, so you'll have to get a good reaction time and tree him and then make sure you hook good. If you do that and his car isn't too far from stock you should win.

· Registered
13,190 Posts
I just went onto the Subaru WRX forum and read a few threads on 1/4 mile times. Most are high 13's on there (2014 models). Anywhere from high 13's to low 14's. Your R/T stock should run mid 13's and will be a lot easier to launch being an auto vs a manual. Unless the guy is a seasoned racer or has a lot of performance mods done to the car, I think you'll get the win.

· Registered
506 Posts
They'll usually get you off the line being so light. I think you'll chase him down towards the end of the track.

· Banned
472 Posts
I raced a couple of WRX's at the strip. One was a WRX STI. They'd get a little jump off the line then I walked away from them both. The little 4-cyl Boxer engine is tough, but like most turbocharged setups, it takes some finesse to get the turbo spooled up just right off the line. The guy in the STI could spin all four wheels at the line, but couldn't get the car down the track very fast. It depends a whole lot on the driver.

As mentioned, you won't know what secrets he has until you do the run. I ran a little Eclipse turbo running 14psi boost and I got like 3 car lengths on him, then suddenly he lights up and passes me right at the finish line with white smoke belching out his exhaust. He dumped a s-load of nitrous halfway down the track. He officially won, but I looked a heck of a lot better crossing the finish line than his mosquito fogger. ;)

· Registered
13,190 Posts
When I was younger and dumber and used to street race on weekends from time to time, I once ran into this kid with a little Dodge Omni from the 80's, little small boxy car. He came up next to me and asked if I wanted to run our cars. I said sure why not. We got to the next light, turned green, I smoked him bad off the line and he could never catch up. Then we ran from a 40mph roll. I pulled on him at first but then he never got any further back than my rear bumper! That little turbo 4 cylinder was fast! At that time my car ran mid 13's and I'm sure that little thing would do a 13 something too, but it looked bone stock, total sleeper!

In my experience those little 4 cylinder turbo deals are slow off the line because they make crap for torque down low until that turbo spools up and the RPM's get up there. But since they're also AWD, they're most likely not going to spin too much.

I think unless the guy has serious mods done to the car, it should be a good race. Let us know what happens if you actually end up racing. A lot of times people are just full of crap and when you try to set something up to race them at the track or something they never follow through or something miraculously comes up haha!

· 2012 RT Redline Tri Coat
3,649 Posts
I agree with everyone here, the WRX is no joke. If you have a solid take off and don't lose traction, it is your race to lose.

One last note, I have read that those cars are amongst the most stolen and have the highest insurance rate in their class. Funny, thing, I don't see too many turbo tuners hanging around long term like our muscle cars. They are simply not a good long term investment.

· Here Comes Trouble!
1,625 Posts
If your friend says he has 385bhp (that is at the wheels) vs. HP at the crank, then he has a very nicely worked STI. An STI is one level higher than a WRX. The boxer engine hasn't really changed that much since 2004. The WRX is generally a high 13 second car while the STI is a low 13 second car with a stock engine. The STI has 305HP stock, while the WRX is a bit lower. (these are different engines BTW). If your friend is a real addict, he may have had forged pistons installed so he can handle nitrous oxide.

I agree with everyone else here. You have to launch right and not mess up on shifting. Funny, I used to get challenged to race from WRX drivers when I drove my Mini all of the time. I can get upper 13's in my Mini Cooper (it is NOT stock) if everything is right (a stock version of my car is mid-upper 14's). I haven't raced my Challenger so I have no idea how she compares to other RT's here.

· Registered
34 Posts
It doesn't take much to get those cars to go fast. I would beat my buddy regularly but respect the car. A down pipe and turning up the boost can be done for pretty much nothing. A tune and exhaust get us 20hp. A tune and a down pipe gets them 80 lol

· Registered
352 Posts
well i can vouch for subbys being pretty fast. my old legacy gt was 300 hp 320 tq awd. not bad for some bolt ons and a tune did a stage 3 clutch and fw also...
i did full exhaust, down pipe, catless, 3 inch all the way from the turbo back.. top mount intercooler

we just built my buddys 08 sti hatch motor.. done 30 over 272 cams all forged rods, pistons and a dom 3.5 turbo.. id 1000 injectors , and fuel pump and some other stuff .he pushing 460hp at the wheels ...
its deff not cheaper to make subarus fast...

we can bolt of a super charger and get what 80 hp or 100... he spent like 7 grand if not more for and bought alot more stuff

as for tuners sti mikey has been tuning subbys for over 9 yrs and still does my buddy ray from turbotek tuning has been tuning for 10 yrs also .. i can name more but theres a folloing for every car no matter what it is ..

pic of my old legacy gt

Attachments

· Registered
352 Posts
yeah i wouldnt mess with my buddys sti for nothing. it fast as hell .. lol ..

awd is a bitch to launch if you hit it wrong it goes really wrong lol

plus parts aint that cheap .. my down pipe and exhaust cost me about 1100.
intercooler was 500, clutch ,fw, and all was about 700, tune was 400 . which isnt bad. but seeing as my challenger has more hp and tq stock them my old legacy did modded. plus i like the v8 sound in my old age again ... :)

its a preference is all i like all cars that are done right mod wise ... some guys hate on shit real car guys like all cars for what they are ..imo

unless there them cambered out shit buckets that cant do 40 mph cause they hit shit.. thats not a car its a hazzard

Reactions: Mac27
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.