Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Excuse for my English, but i'm a french Canadian.

I have a Challenger R/T Classic 2013 with an automatic 5-speeds transmission (NAG1). I have a weird problem the morning after a cold night (above -10 degree Celsius).

I know that the transmission have a cold temperature protection, but I think that my problem is not this protection. I can reproduce the problem with an exact sequence. The transmission oil level was already check by my Dodge dealer. There is no check engine light and no update for the PCM.

Here is the problem:

When I start the car the morning to exit my driveway, I have no problem whatever the temperature. I put the car on DRIVE and when I release the brake, the car start to run normally. I run about 15-20 seconds and I stop to a red light for about 20-30 seconds. At this moment, the problem start! When I release the brake, the car do not move (normally for an automatic transmission, the car start to move without pressing on gas pedal), I need to push the gas pedal and the RPM move to 2000 rpm and the car move a very little bit only, it’s not normal. I continue to push the gas pedal and the rpm continue to 3000 rpm and the car move slowly. (The sound and the feeling is a slip transmission, but Dodge tell me if the transmission slip, the check engine light turn ON). After about 15-20 seconds the car move, the transmission start to run normally. The problem doesn’t reappear except if the car is stop for many hours in cold temperature (about 7 hours).

I have buy the car in July and the problem have started when the cold night was start in Quebec (Canada).

If I start the morning and I don’t stop to the red light, the transmission don’t have the problem. To have the problem I need to run a few seconds and to stop a few seconds, a STOP is not long enough to have the problem. If the temperature is higher than -10 degree Celsius, I have not remark the problem.

I would like to know if the problem is normal or not. For the dealer check the car, I need to give the car to my dealer for the night (for a cold night).

Tank you,
Steve

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat, 6 Speed Manual
1,103 Posts
You should take it to the dealership, and like right away, that is not normal. I have ran the car after it has sat for 5 days when the HIGH was -16 F and the lows maintained -30 F. No problems whatsoever. Have drove in very cold temps and never had any issues. I never lay on the coals when the engine temp is not warm when it is cold, but that is the diesel owner in me.

·
13,007 Posts
Definitely bring the car back to the dealer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.