Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Please help me find the truth. Front brake pads are almost completely worn out at 8500 mileage, rear ones are still alive. Called the dealer, and he sent back some crazy quote for $5500. I'm speechless. I assume the dealer is trying to trick me into replacing the brake pads and rotors all around (I don't think I need to replace the rotors). However, I got the part numbers from that quote and started looking for them myself. Found that the front brake pads are around $500 and the rear pads are around $400, which means replacing all the pads would come out to about $1K just for parts, not including labor.

I'm asking for advice from the community. What's the best thing for me to do in this situation, so I don't overpay?

Part numbers:
68501808AA
68525329AB

VIN: 2C3CDZFJ9MH658685

Thanks!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
First of all What Year and Model is the Challenger? 2nd sounds like this car is driven very hard to be worn out that fast.
Do you have Brembos? Have you looked at Powerstop Rotors and Pads unless your tracking the car they are a great alternative
and affordable.
2021 R/T Scat Pack Shaker Widebody. Yes, I looked at PowerStop, and even called them and was told they had nothing to offer me for the 2021 model year.
Man that's some really low mileage for brake pads replacement 馃槼. Lots of fun burnouts?
I can't say, I have nothing to compare it with. I drive quite aggressively, but only in the city.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Go to a Dealer and get them to inspect or to a reputable shop not the one snapped off a figure in a message or call. Under warranty should check for Caliper Hanging up or Binding.
So it was an official dealer, the one I bought my car from. But their approach raises questions for me.
Driving aggressively in the City? That is not wise nor safe and will certainly wear stuff out faster on top of that.
I don't think it's not safe or wise. It's quite safe and wise, I don't go over the speed limit, and no one prohibits speeding out of traffic lights to (allegedly) 30 miles per hour in our state. But yes, lots of acceleration, braking. It's not about how I drive, it's about what alternatives there are to replace Brembo, because the $5500 price tag for parts doesn't satisfy me.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Brembos are very expensive, as is Welwood and Baer, Hurst etc., there is tons of shortages and price increases too just part of the Joys of Performance during these times. Before throwing money though it needs to be inspected to get to diagnosing your issue with them burning out so quickly, its not normal even with tracking time to time etc.,
I want to figure out what we mean by "tracking." I don't drive on the track itself, only city/highway. But in terms of car modes, I don't like "auto", I drive in "track mode" all the time.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks for the good wishes. I honestly didn't think that the fairly routine task of changing pads would turn into such a stressful and quest for alternatives.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Ok well I keep hearing everyone keep stating its a heavy car, but since I'm coming from full sized pickup trucks I don't buy that excuse. They're either really crappy pads or people just a lot of burnouts. Since mine only has 1,500 miles on it I'll have to wait to see what they look like at xxxxx mileage.

For example I replaced my pads on my 2020 Nissan Titan on labor day weekend. At the time, the truck had 70,000 miles on it since I purchased it new. When I pulled the pads out and compared it with the factory replacement I purchased I thought it was a complete waste of time 馃槅. They didn't look much thinner than the new ones. Oh well, it's called preventive maintenance. The truck was my daily driver to work 106 miles per day plus any running to lunch, gym, store etc.
All that to say I have a difficult time buying into the "its a heavy car" comments I've seen others make in reference to brake pads wear.
I don't know what's wrong with them. Can't say it was super aggressive 8500 miles. I just can't, that's all. I've seen guys who ride a lot tougher than me and don't have these problems. That's why we have what we have. I don't know what else to add here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts