Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone so I haven't had the car a full week yet and I notice today the sun shinning on the hood these little spots that look to be under the clear coat has anyone seen this on their challengers before my last one didn't have this issue. I am most taking this back the dealership on tomorrow to have them look at it but wanted to see if i could get some forum advice prior to going up there. I attached a picture make sure to click it so that i opens fully so that you can see it i also put a red circle around one of the larger defects.

Attachments

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,699 Posts
Yeah that does not look right, if I remember correctly some of the Mopar 10 Challengers had a similar issue.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,683 Posts
Are you talking about the thing in the red circle? It looks like a hard water etching. Usually these can be buffed out with a rotary polisher, wool pad, and heavy cut compound, but that would best be left to a pro detailer. Your dealership may offer to have their buffer guys do this.

·
"Turn on, tune in, drop out"
17,165 Posts
Hard to tell from the pic if that is under the clear coat but there have been more than several owners that had defective paint jobs. Is that the only spot on the entire car ?

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Are you talking about the thing in the red circle? It looks like a hard water etching. Usually these can be buffed out with a rotary polisher, wool pad, and heavy cut compound, but that would best be left to a pro detailer. Your dealership may offer to have their buffer guys do this.
I was thinking the same thing, I noticed those on my SXT and freaked out thinking something was wrong with the paint. Took it to the dealer and they buffed them away, didn't even charge me. Not saying this is the same issue for challenger943 up there, but it looks similar.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hard to tell from the pic if that is under the clear coat but there have been more than several owners that had defective paint jobs. Is that the only spot on the entire car ?
its definitely under the clear coat its not on top i have tried to use all types of microfiber to buffer and there are at least 50 of these on the hood only no sign of these on any other part of the car just the hood I plan on going up the dealership monday morning.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One would hope that it is just hard water but why is it that these are only on the hood of the car no where else do have have these crazy orbs under the clear coat of the paint. its almost like something happened prior to the clear coating going on and no one noticed. But i am no paint expert so i hope it is just water spots or etching that can be buffed out. Another thing on my 2013 Jazz Blue RT Classic I noticed white lines underneath the clear coat on that one and they had to order a new hood as it was not on any other part tell me please that lightning does not strike twice in the same place as that was a defect in the paint. This is why I prefer white, silver, or grey cars its harder to see the imperfections so far two Dark colored cars and crazy orbs and white lines under the clear coat. :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
389 Posts
I believe that is called a fisheye defect. I don't have any but my wife's Honda has quite a few.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did some research and found what looks to be the closest which is called water spotting this is something that happens at the factory so far its just on the hood the dealer will be installing my mopar catback exhaust tomorrow i will also have them look at this if need be they can order a new hood or do the sanding deal and polish as suggested by ninjadave and a few others. I will post when i get back from the dealer on what their finding is.

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
My Pitch Black R/T never had those spots and I have major hard water here. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so the dealership took a look at it they were able to buff out the one that i had circled however there are some tiny tiny little white spots that they were not able to get out these are very tiny i am trying not to be anal about it but the car is black you really can't see them unless looking for them but i know they are there but at this point they were able to get the big defects out i am not sure if i should have them give me a new hood since this is where defects are or just live with it since they are so tiny any advice.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Make them get you a new hood. There should be no reason you should have to live with those spots on your car. Its brand new! That would drive me nuts. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
Agreed.....they absolutely should get you a new hood.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Not totally sure what the picture is showing. It can be some lime spots or calcium(HARD WATER) that landed on the paint in transit. Once this gets wet it can activate and stick to the surface. Buffing won't remove this. When I see this occur I use white vinegar. I pour some on a soft cloth and gently wipe over the area. This will neutralize the lime and remove from the surface. This works on water stained glass also. After removal just wipe with clean water and apply your wax or polish over the area. Hope this helps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts