Dodge Challenger Forum banner

New Car Paint Issues

5K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  OrangeCrush392 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone. It is by no means uncommon for a paint correction to be necessary upon purchasing these vehicles, however I can't help but notice these issues with my paint that stand out. These marks are believed to be residue from the wrapping that covers the car when it is being delivered. My detailer believes he will have no issue getting them out and I do have piece of mind, however I am curious if any other Scat Pack owners have encountered these blemishes in the paint and what your solutions were to getting them out. Feel free to post pictures as needed. Thank You!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Welcome from AZ.Hope they get that fixed, I have never seen that before.

#7 ·
So to add a little more insight on this story as it develops, I have tried to use some rubbing alcohol and if it is doing anything, I don't see it. I let my Detailer know and he says rubbing alcohol wont do the job and he isn't surprised. As much as I trust him, I don't want to wait for him to start working on my car only to find out he was wrong and have it be too late to chew out the dealer because I waited too long. I will most likely find my way down there tomorrow after work as I get of early. If anyone has encountered this before on their new car, your input would be valued

#16 ·
There is a little bit of a chemical reaction I would think that is transferring the gummy from the plastic. There is no adhesive, but the dissimilar materials stick for a reason. As long as it is smooth, I agree with the guys saying you should
have no problems polishing it out to like new.

#17 ·
Would Clay bar work???

#19 ·
My Detailer and I were also thinking it as adhesive residue, but according to these forums, the delivery wrapping doesn't seem to be the source. Makes me wonder where it could have come from
If it's adhesive residue, claying the paint will be all that's necessary. It's an above surface defect and those are the easiest to remove. Clay and a little paint cleaner may be all that's necessary to remove that defect. If you still have reservations about letting your detailer correct the paint, ask him to do a test spot on the hood. That's how I closed the deal with several clients when I detailed for money!

#20 ·
Hello Everyone. After inspection of the Drivers side fender and Door, it has been determined that the issue is behind the clearcoat and in the basecoat. The surface is smooth and doesn't have any texture that can be felt, only seen. it is hard to see in images due to lighting however I am posting pictures below. An FCA rep will be looking at my car tomorrow and if he deems a repaint is needed, I am going to Demand a new car. Other issues with the car include hard compound on the underbelly of the trunklid and pigtail scratches from colorsanding. I did not pay for a repainted car and unless they were to ship it back to the factory in Canada for a repaint, any other job would diminish the value. I will keep you all updated as this continues. Thank you for your help

Attachments

#21 ·
UPDATE: The Rep will not be in until tomorrow, Tuesday, March 1, 2016 from 2-3. I have received written confirmation from the service Manager that this is the case. I have also discovered today that the paint defect is not only on the drivers side door and fender. I have discovered it on the passengers side door and rear quarter panel as well. It is possible that it is on the passenger fender and even the drivers side quarter panel, however I have not yet caught it. I am sure if it is there, it will also be found. At this point, it looks as if almost ever panel will need a repaint. That is an unacceptable solution in my opinion and I have every intention of pursuing a buyback if that is the solution they present to me. A new car should not require a new paint job and doing so will affect value and appearance of said car. I will keep you all updated as this continues to unfold.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.