Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Im new to this forum and to the late model Challengers.
I have just purchased a 2010 RT Mopar 10 Challenger #246. Its a red stripe auto.
I am having it shipped to New Zealand so probably will be the only Mopar 10 owner in the Southern Hemisphere but you never know there may be others down here.
It will still be about 1-2 months before I get it so ... waiting patiently.

Big thing for me is its very hard to find accurate data on certain things.
Costs of getting things here is expensive and very costly if you get it wrong!

My car is still stock so Ill be looking for ideas and help on here.
I will be using it as a driver but also intend to race a dozen or so times a year.
Where I race there are a lot of late model mustangs and older cars as well.
I don't want to be beaten by Mustangs!
So far I don't believe anyone else will be racing a late model Challenger so I would be flying the Mopar Flag so to speak.
When I race, I will be racing in the street class.

So, what are the best modifications to do.
I have read:
Cat back exhaust (pretty sure this is the only mod done so far to my car).
Supercharge (whats the best that would still look good under the hood and look factory using cold air box or is that no longer relevant) I have seen Magnuson look pretty good over all and seem to bolt on easily with no real mods needed and give a stock look. I am very keen on this long term.
Are diff ratio changes recommended? I dont think the car has a limited slip diff. Not sure if I am right or wrong. But Im ok going to a LSD on the same ration I have now.
I will also be doing a lowering kit (1 inch is fine, roads here are not great so drive ability and ride quality are also important) but have the self leveling springs so not sure what I have to do to change all this. Currently I understand that I need to replace the rear shocks with another brand and then install the appropriate lowering springs. My choices so far are Mopar 1 inch drop or Eibach Pro kit.
I will also be putting long tube headers on the car (suggestions as to which is the best and easiest to install most welcome) with non cat mid tubes (we don't have emission standards here, soo lucky ) :)
I have a catch can and a 180 thermostat already on its way for the car.
I will be needing spare rear rims and slick/drag radials so advice here also appreciated.

I will do some nice to do's.
I have ordered hood struts, sequential lights (Yeah, just for the cool factor I know) and will put 275 or 285 45 15's on the rear.
That's about my total plan.

I don't want to do heavy engine mods other than the s/c so no heads or cams. I think I can get a balance between performance and drive ability this way.
I also like the awesome fuel economy (yes I'm serious) this car will have so looking at retaining that if possible.

My current car is a 1970 Mercury Cougar. It goes quite well and drives nicely, will do a mid 12 in the 1/4
So I'm old school here but as you can see have moved with the times so to speak.
Really looking for help and advice here so all input welcomed.
Where do you get the best bang for the buck?

What are do's and don'ts? And in this I mean modifications, care of the car, servicing etc.

I will be driving mine when ever I can and are still considering it as a daily driver but wont make that decision until I have it with the keys in my hand :D :D

Previous cars have been.
1st car at 16, 1967 Chev Impala 350 sb, 1957 Chev various small blocks, 1970 Dodge Challenger 440, 1970 Mercury Cougar 351 Cleveland (current) and soon to arrive Mopar 10. :D

Look forward to hearing from anyone.

Thanks, Vince.

·
13,007 Posts
Welcome from north N.J.
You are correct about the rear in your car, you more than likely have an open ended rear. If you want to race at the track there are plenty of things you can do. If you look at my signature you can see the performance mods that I have done and have been very effective for me at the track.

·
Premium Member
39,846 Posts
Hello from Strasburg, VA

Hello and Welcome to the 'Z' from the beautiful Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. :4-wavey: Enjoy your Ride and the Site! You'll find some knowledgeable and friendly people to answer your questions or just entertain you. Glad you could join us!

·
Premium Member
20,459 Posts

·
Registered
23,118 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Some of the super chargers available for our cars are the Magnuson that you mentioned but also Kenne Bell, Pro Charger, Vortech and Edelbrock e-force superchargers. They all produce good horsepower and since looks are subjective it's probably best if you check them all out to see what fits your needs.

Being that you have an auto you might also want to consider a higher stall torque converter, if you go that route then I also recommend getting a MTCM (Mopar Transmission Control Module). Here's a link that will get you a bit more info on that http://www.challengerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=94788

You will probably wish to upgrade to a limited slip rear axle especially if you super charge. There are a variety of option out there, but if you stick with a getrag LSD you will have a choice of 3.06, 3.73 or 3.92 rear ratio's from Chrysler and if you go aftermarket you can also find 3.23, 3.55's. Other ratios are I'm sure available and there are also other rear differential solutions out there.

If you want to start on a smaller spending scale my suggestion is to go with a Diablo tuning device such as the Intune or Trinity, it will pick you up a few ponies while allowing you to tune some of the car's features a bit. For example you can shut MDS off, increase shift firmness, up you shift points etc..

Good luck with your project.

Reactions: KeysB5Blue

·
Andy
3,906 Posts
welcome to the Z Vince...if you can't find what you are looking for here, you aren't looking hard enough...lots of great people and great advice...nice to have you

·
<<< Bending Time & Space >>>
16,087 Posts
:Racing:Hello and Welcome from Michigan. Enjoy the forum !!!:Racing:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the welcome everyone.
Also thanks for the tips and suggestions.
I also appreciate the timing chain advice. Would have got caught out on that one.
I will follow up with my dealer I purchased from.
Will keep updates going as they happen.
:)

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
58,945 Posts
Welcome from AZ.

·
Seeing red
14,951 Posts
Welcome to the Z from New Mexico! You have found the absolute best spot for a Challenger lover to be except for behind the wheel! Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
Welcome to the Z from Gastonia N.C., Glad to have you with us !!! :wavey:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Welcome to the Z family...the wait on the new ride will be worth it! :smileup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.