Dodge Challenger Forum banner
81 - 100 of 113 Posts
Well congrats and well played.

With my 5.7 six spd. I've gotten 25.7 mpg on the highway all the way to Gatlinberg Tn and back going 80 mph and the tach was at less than 2000 rpm.
When I test drove the Challenger, I drove the automatic first, and it didn't do much for me. But when I test drove the stick, it was like night and day difference. That sucker just came alive and really had a lot more punch I felt. So for me it was a no brainer and I love the feel of shifting through the gears. Makes me feel like a kid and also feels like you have more of a connection with the car which enhances the driving experience. That's my take for what it's worth.

Discussion starter · #83 ·
With my 5.7 six spd. I've gotten 25.7 mpg on the highway all the way to Gatlinberg Tn and back going 80 mph and the tach was at less than 2000 rpm.
When I test drove the Challenger, I drove the automatic first, and it didn't do much for me. But when I test drove the stick, it was like night and day difference. That sucker just came alive and really had a lot more punch I felt. So for me it was a no brainer and I love the feel of shifting through the gears. Makes me feel like a kid and also feels like you have more of a connection with the car which enhances the driving experience. That's my take for what it's worth.
Too funny, when I get mine, it's 1st road trip will be Gatlinburg! (My wife is from around there and we both went to UT Knoxville). I really did want the manual, but in the end the idea of saving a little gas mileage (haha as if) and not paying the government a free $1k because of "gas guzzler" tax won me over. I play with the auto stick on my avenger so paddle shift will be okay, I'll just move my left leg like I'm pushing a clutch (my wife makes fun of me for doing that, 7 years since I a manual and still catch my self doing it in auto stick. I even accidently slammed on the brake when I first got the avenger when I hit it "reaching" for the non-existent clutch). If I had gone with the 5.7 I would have gotten the manual, but figure with the 6.4 as my daily drive, rain or snow, the auto made sense for me.

I'm still in rationalization mode and shock for buying a car I never thought could afford and that I've wanted since I was 5 and remember seeing the originals!

Howard

Hi all, I'm new here thinking of trading in my Avenger R/T for a Challenger (active over on avengerforumz). I find so much conflicting info, I thought I'd ask a long winded question.

1st I know if you looking for a 6.4, mpg shouldn't be an issue, but its still going to be in my questions! I want the 6.4 scat pack just because its such a mean car and with my kids reaching 10-12yrs old this means its at least 12 years before I can buy a "dream car" as this would be paid for just as they start college. I have a line on a sublime with Scat Pack appearance package, manual tranny that they will lef me have for a steal at $37000 but if it doesn't make much sense for a daily drive in all conditions compared to a 5.7 I'd like to know.

My daily drive (all season) is 33 miles one way. about 10 miles 45mph with 5 lights, 10 miles of 45-55mph with 3 lights, then the last 10 miles about 45mph with 4-5 lights (the alternate route is 10 miles 45mph with 3 lights and 30 miles at interstate speed) so mpg may be higher, but still use the same amount of gas in my avenger) as the route is 10 miles longer or so. I live in NE ohio next to the lake and drive from roughly Painesville to Ashtabula for those that know the area.

I'm torn between the two engine packages. I want a car that will have me grinning like an idiot leaving stop lights and passing ppl poking in the slow lane of the road.

I've been passed by the 2013 asnd 2014 police chargers and left like I was standing still so appearance is the 5.7 is powerful.

1) What has been the experience with the 5.7 mpg vs the 6.4 mpg in your cases? (Internet gives me everything from 11mpg to 22mpg for my type of driving scenario so it hasn't been much of help! Figured I stick to one forum page for information).

2) Will an automatic make that big of a difference over the manual with my type of town (not really city) driving?

3) I'm less interested in the 0-60 times as I am in the say 30mph to 75mph passing "punch" ability.

Any help you can give me is GREATLY appreciated. I got my financing approval so all that is left is shopping. I test drive an automatic 5.7 this Monday so I should get a feel for the car and see what my butt dyno says comparing it to my 3.6L CAI/Performance Exhaust Avenger R/T.

You folks have the cars and therefore are the "experts" so please give me as much info as you can!

Many thanks to those that can help me out!

Howard
(owner of a '12 Avenger R/T and hope to upgrade the big leagues)

Since you drive over 300 miles a week just to work and back, I would get a cheap used economy car for work and get the Scat Pack for play so you could keep the miles off of it. You would probably pay for the compact in gas mileage and the fact that you can burn 87 octane in it. I waited until a retired to buy my Challenger Scat pACK

Too funny, when I get mine, it's 1st road trip will be Gatlinburg! (My wife is from around there and we both went to UT Knoxville). I really did want the manual, but in the end the idea of saving a little gas mileage (haha as if) and not paying the government a free $1k because of "gas guzzler" tax won me over. I play with the auto stick on my avenger so paddle shift will be okay, I'll just move my left leg like I'm pushing a clutch (my wife makes fun of me for doing that, 7 years since I a manual and still catch my self doing it in auto stick. I even accidently slammed on the brake when I first got the avenger when I hit it "reaching" for the non-existent clutch). If I had gone with the 5.7 I would have gotten the manual, but figure with the 6.4 as my daily drive, rain or snow, the auto made sense for me.

I'm still in rationalization mode and shock for buying a car I never thought could afford and that I've wanted since I was 5 and remember seeing the originals!

Howard
I bought the 6 speed manual scat pack and love it. Drove the auto in 'manual mode' and just isn't the same; That connection of driver to drive train is missing.
I haven't had any problems in the rain, I just leave the traction control on.

These cars make excellent daily drivers. What you guys said above is basically my take as well. The automatic was nice but the stick shift was just way more fun to drive to me so that's what I went with. Many years, miles, and road trips later it's still as much fun as it was when I first bought the car!

Scat Pack

I bought a new Redline Red Scat Pack 2 months ago and couldn't be happier. You won't have to worry about passing anyone with the 6.4L or the 5.7L for that matter. There is probably not much difference in gas mileage between the two engines. If you are really concerned about gas mileage you should consider something other than a big engine Dodge Challenger. This car is just flat out fun to drive!

I generally get the same gas mileage a my 2009 RT. What I do differently with my Scat Pack is that the central display is the gas mileage information - and I basically treat that as a game to get the gas mileage (average and current) as high as possible. I have found out that driving with cruise control on does not always get the best gas mileage.

Otherwise,I would rather drive a stick vs. drive an automatic. It is a lot more fun.

When I'm cruising to work in the morning I get 25-35mpg on the instant mpg with the cruise set at 58. The 35 is when the 4cyl is on though so idk what its like for a stick.

My average mpg is 19 this week but I've been getting it to go up about 1 mpg each week as I put more miles on the car.

It always makes me laugh when I fill up because this 6.4L gets better millage than my old 3.5L

I think at some point having a more powerful engine helps even if it is bigger since it takes less effort for the engine to get the car moving. Gearing makes a big difference as well.

To me I'm totally amazed that these cars can weigh 4,000+ lbs and have near 500hp and still get 15/24 ratings for mpgs. Try to do that with an old school car with a carb and distributor, just not going to happen.

So I have a manual 2015 R/T and it is a blast. Around town I get 14-15 but I tend to be a little heavy on the peddle and run mostly in sport. On the hwy cruising 75-80 I'm getting 21-22.

I don't know what the Scat Pack actual MPG is given the way I drive. I just ordered the Scat cause I was looking for a little more juice! You can't go wrong with either one. They are awesome true retro muscle cars!

Either way, 14-15 mpg is not bad for city in a fast muscle car and over 20mpg on the highway is stellar IMO. Old cars with similar horsepower running carbs/distributors generally struggle to get much more than 12 mpg in most cases in city or highway with the lack of overdrive. These modern cars are really something.

Get the SRT-8. Assuming you can afford the fuel for the 5.7 the difference in fuel mileage between the 392 and the 5.7 isn't going to break the bank. A 392 will definitely have you grinning ear to ear. I had a Charger with the 5.7, and although it was a great car the SRT-8 models puts the Chargers/Challengers in a completely different category (handling, stopping, responsiveness, and brutal acceleration). If you really want the SRT-8 buy it, you won't be disappointed. If you get the 5.7 you will enjoy it, but will probably suffer from buyers remorse and always wish you had gone with the SRT-8.

I have the 5.7 average price difference is 7000 from what inhale seen. I got the 5.7 because if I drop 7000 on aftermarket performance I can get a whole lot more than 100 extra horsepower. Fyi the new spoiler is so hard to get off the dealership dented and gauges my trunk replacing camera defect. They ordered new trunk sent it to offsite body shop twice and they still can't get it matches right. Order new trunk and now it going to my body shop. 3 weeks in shop as of today probably another week and a half. What a mess

I have the 5.7 average price difference is 7000 from what inhale seen. I got the 5.7 because if I drop 7000 on aftermarket performance I can get a whole lot more than 100 extra horsepower. Fyi the new spoiler is so hard to get off the dealership dented and gauges my trunk replacing camera defect. They ordered new trunk sent it to offsite body shop twice and they still can't get it matches right. Order new trunk and now it going to my body shop. 3 weeks in shop as of today probably another week and a half. What a mess
WOW...sorry to hear about these dealership woes! I'm sure your ride will come back good as new. Keep us posted on your progress!

Good point. $7K can get you quite a bit of mods.

That really sucks about your trunk lid man, what a disaster. Hope it gets fixed up for you soon, I know I'd be frustrated too.

Discussion starter · #98 ·
Since I started the thread I thought I'd update. Ordered 4/2 and arrived 5/7. Being the anal retentive type, I'm following the recommended break in, and 44 miles in getting 17.7mpg all local "city" driving 5-7 miles at a time. Power is way more manageable then expected, so I no longer dread driving in winter, except for the salt!

The exhaust is wonderful and my almost 11 yr old giggles every time we start up and drive, he loved it as much as I do. I'm the cool dad again LOL.

Here are some pics.

Attachments

Since I started the thread I thought I'd update. Ordered 4/2 and arrived 5/7. Being the anal retentive type, I'm following the recommended break in, and 44 miles in getting 17.7mpg all local "city" driving 5-7 miles at a time. Power is way more manageable then expected, so I no longer dread driving in winter, except for the salt!

The exhaust is wonderful and my almost 11 yr old giggles every time we start up and drive, he loved it as much as I do. I'm the cool dad again LOL.

Here are some pics.
congrats, I am glad it is working out for you. My 15 yr old daughter LOVES when I start mine. I was backing it into the driveway yesterday and she says "Dad, in case I haven't told you recently, I love the sound of your car." I guess I am raising her right.

81 - 100 of 113 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.