Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey wassup good people,

I own a 2018 Dodge Challenger GT. Yea I know, "AWD bro?" lol. Thing is I live in the 5 boroughs of NYC (Brooklyn to be exact :cool:) so I need that tire work on all sides to help me during snow season.

Anyway I always have seen these forums but never joined until I got my baby Nikki (that's my Challenger's name). It's Mopar or NO CAR now! And of course I have an issue. Since a few accidents where I was hit (once was on Superbowl Sunday maaaaan!🤦‍♂️) and got short stopped on as of most recent, I've been diving into DIY work because I love using my hands and these shops are 🤬 shifty and money hungry. So now that I'm in a peaceful place I'm working on things myself and have been purchasing parts one by one.

The issue I have though, has been persistent since my first accident. This roaring noise coming from the front right side of my car. Also it's leaning on that side as well. After much research on parts and DIY videos on YT, I purchased a wheel bearing and spindle nut for that front right side. I'm not 100% sure what the correct size socket but I got a 36 mm recently after seeing a video on a 2019 Challenger.

The last forum I checked said something in the same ball park of what I already found out here at this link below👇

They were saying the solution was discovered at the dealer shop and it was to tighten the spindle nut. Now I purchased a wheel bearing and a new spindle nut so hopefully I don't have to use them and I can return for other parts 😬. But not to get too far ahead of myself, I wanted to ask the community for a more updated response you know? So yea, any weigh-in on this issue is welcome of course. But all in all thankful to be apart of a community now with like-minded individuals because I will NEVER go back to another car 😤😈

Stay frosty everyone. Peace

"My Challenger Is Life, therefore Life Is Challenger!"

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
With all due respect, we're not good at mind reading here, so you need to be a lot more specific, assuming short stopped means you ran into the rear of another car? Was the damage to your Challenger enough to set off the airbag, and did it affect the front wheels?

Actual pictures of the damage would be most helpful?
We are not supposed to get in depth to Newbie Intro posts so open another thread please?

Welcome from South Carolina! :)
Huh? lol I mentioned the accident to give some back story to the history of my car. This is about my front right wheel that's in dire need of some tlc. The "with all due respect" is not needed. No man on Earth can accomplish that ;) its all in what you view as "disrespect" so don't worry you're good (y) thanks for the reply tho man

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I once had an old mech. tell me that, if your uncertain about how tight the spindle nut for wheel bearings, to take the nut down to hand tight and back it off 1/2 turn. It seemed to work well with heavy equip. never tried it on my Challengers
Wow that's actually some refreshing intel. When I take off the wheel I'll definitely troubleshoot with that method added to the list. Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Ok so you guys wanted more info on the accident that presented the current roaring noise issue. That incident was involving myself alone with no other cars involved. I somehow managed to deal with the heavy rush hour traffic and the road ragers that came with it, from Brooklyn up to the Bronx (25 miles or so). I finally make it while managing not to lose my cool lol and traffic stalls 🤦‍♂️

Let's just say I made a poorly thought out maneuver where I tried to go around cars in the service lane by way of the main road and happened to catch the median strip and blew out both tires on the right side of the car. Both tires went, the steering wheel was knocked out of alignment and I earned myself a new scar on a rim :cry: (see attached photos).

After that came the roaring noise from the front that only seemed to occur when I went over 28-30 mph. One thing I did notice was the current lean wasn't so at the start of all of this, so maybe it wore down over time? Idk.

NOTE:
I did try myself to take off my front tire using an Impact Wrench, tire iron and breaker bar but the lugs won't budge. I think the tire shop put those on way too tight bro (like I stated before the shops in NYC are insane) So after work tomorrow morning, I'm gonna grab some parts from Mopar I ordered when I started this forum and then swing by a shop and asked them to loosen my lugs. I have a torque wrench so Ill be torque them properly now!

Any ideas on the lbs for the lugs anyone? That's all for now. Thanks for all you guys' feedback!

Peace

"My Challenger Is Life, Therefore Life Is Challenger!"
Wheel Tire Car Automotive tire Vehicle
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Locking hubs
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle
Gear shift Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
UPDATE!
I just finished up at Mopar. Came to pick up some brackets and the spindle but. Turns out they had everything on back order months ahead so they canceled my order.

I did order a part in store to save a wasted trip and decided to ask the fellas at Mopar Shop
welcome from ny
Yessir! Appreciate it 😎

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Hey I hope everyone is doing well,

I managed to take my wheel off a night ago and give the wheel a couple home tests to see if my problem is what I predicted. So after raising the car, I gave the wheel a nice vertical and horizontal shake. No wobble. I did see a couple of videos of guys saying if it doesn't move, that doesn't justifiably count out the wheel bearing to be faulty. I removed the wheel and took some photos and gave the current bearing a good spin. I could barely get it to turn!

Another thing is when I went to Mopar in Queens to pick up the spindle nut, they had canceled my order due to back order until June. So the associate there helped me with a headlamp bezel and I just ordered a new spindle nut off of eBay. should be here in a few days so fingers crossed. 😩

I attached some photos of what I found when I got the wheel off. I'll keep you guys updated as I go along. Peace!
Automotive tire Vehicle brake Rim Gas Automotive wheel system
Light Automotive tire Rim Gas Plumbing
Automotive tire Wood Art Building Tints and shades
Light Automotive tire Gas Font Wood

// "My Challenger Is Life, Therefore Life Is Challenger" //

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
That's not a spindle nut. That nut is on the end of the drive axle. The bearing is encapsulated in the hub-unit-bearing assembly. If it don't turn, you either got a frozen brake caliper or the bearing is gonzo.
-John
Yea there's a bunch of names that come in the description on other sites but Mopar has that black nut labeled as a Hex Flange Lock Nut part# 6506263AA. When I turned the bearing it got spin but not without my hand tugging it along. Its the bearing

1 - 20 of 20 Posts