Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay everyone so I am new to moding as i have left my previous charger and challenger they way they were so when getting the 2014 Shaker R/T i decided that I am going to go all out. So far all i have done was added the Mopar Catback exhaust and i am ready to do more. Can anyone tell me what throttle upgrade is needed over the existing one? and if mopar makes one as i prefer to keep everything mopar. Also Headers is there a specific set up or can i just say i want the mopar headers for the 5.7 Hemi and the dealer order them from mopar. Last what is the advantage of the catch can does this add performance please forgive me as i am knew again.

·
Registered
141 Posts
i previously had a 2010 R/T with BBK 85 mm throttle body, mopar CAI, magnaflow exhaust, catch can and dyno tune to rebalance fuel/air mix. I recently traded in the 2010 also for a 2014 shaker. I have checked with BBK but they do not have a throttle body yet which is compatible with the 2014 model year. Folks at Modern Muscle have ported 85 mm TB's for the 14's. Unit is Dodge OEM TB which is machined to 85 mm at the inlet end and 83 mm (this matches the opening at the intake plenum) at the discharge side. Since it is modified OEM unit it should be plug and play with the on board electronics. Catch can is basically a demister that removes the oil droplets from theair flow in the PCV line. This oil is captured in the catch can before it can cool and condense in the intake manifold. Over time oil accumulates in the manifold and turns to gum and tar in the manifold and runners. The catch can keeps the oil from making it to the manifold. With mine, I would drain couple ounces of oil every few thousand miles which otherwise would have made it to the intake.

With regards to the headers never had any experience with them but IMHO the juice is not worth the squeeze when you consider the cost and effort to install vs HP gains.

just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i previously had a 2010 R/T with BBK 85 mm throttle body, mopar CAI, magnaflow exhaust, catch can and dyno tune to rebalance fuel/air mix. I recently traded in the 2010 also for a 2014 shaker. I have checked with BBK but they do not have a throttle body yet which is compatible with the 2014 model year. Folks at Modern Muscle have ported 85 mm TB's for the 14's. Unit is Dodge OEM TB which is machined to 85 mm at the inlet end and 83 mm (this matches the opening at the intake plenum) at the discharge side. Since it is modified OEM unit it should be plug and play with the on board electronics. Catch can is basically a demister that removes the oil droplets from theair flow in the PCV line. This oil is captured in the catch can before it can cool and condense in the intake manifold. Over time oil accumulates in the manifold and turns to gum and tar in the manifold and runners. The catch can keeps the oil from making it to the manifold. With mine, I would drain couple ounces of oil every few thousand miles which otherwise would have made it to the intake.

With regards to the headers never had any experience with them but IMHO the juice is not worth the squeeze when you consider the cost and effort to install vs HP gains.

just my 2 cents worth.
Thanks Brody for taking the time to give some advice i really appreciate it this has been very helpful. reps to you my friend...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yeah the headers are a big install on these cars.

I would also look at a custom tune, there are lots of people who sell Diablo tuners (which come with a "canned" performance tune) and custom tuners who can email you custom tunes for your setup. Especially since you have an automatic, it will make a huge difference for you!

One last thing to look at is a cam upgrade. It can be a little pricey, especially on automatics (probably $1500), but you can save some money by buying a used 392 cam. The swap gets rid of the horrible MDS system and gives big power returns for about the same price as headers.

·
Registered
22,668 Posts
When I had my R/T I ran a BBK 85 mm throttle body and was fairly happy with that. However the throttle body on the 2013 and 2014 model differs from the earlier version. At the moment you may be limited on choices, I know that modern muscle makes one that will work (available at various vendors here) and you may want to check Arrington's as I would think they also would have a variation that would work for you.

Hemifever (see vendor section) has had some good luck with the modern muscle throttle body and then tuning for it, his dyno sheets show some decent gains for that mod.

I'd recommend that you also get a Trinity or Intune diablo tuner, in addition to a horsepower bump that you can get from adding one of the canned tunes on the tuner you will also be able to get custom tuning done for cases as I mentioned above.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts