Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off thank you! I am currently looking for an R/T. I am noticing alot of the Used ones cost more than a 2014. I understand options etc add up, I am just surprised. I am also thinking about waiting till the 2015 hits the market. I found one that I am interested in. It is a 2010 with 9,000 miles, Plum crazy purple and pretty much loaded. Leather, moon roof, etc. But with the basic stereo. The dealer is asking $27,000 and has had it on the lot since late April. I am thinking They may go lower because of the time on the lot, and it not having a warranty anymore. I may go talk to them but what do you guys think would be a fair price? Also in your opinions would it just be better to wait until all the 2014 leases hit the dealership after the 2015 comes out. It looks like that may be alot of them with their new promo. I really just want to get the best bang for my buck. This is going to be my midlife crisis car that I will barely be able to afford lol. Thanks for any advice guys.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,555 Posts
First off thank you! I am currently looking for an R/T. I am noticing alot of the Used ones cost more than a 2014. I understand options etc add up, I am just surprised. I am also thinking about waiting till the 2015 hits the market. I found one that I am interested in. It is a 2010 with 9,000 miles, Plum crazy purple and pretty much loaded. Leather, moon roof, etc. But with the basic stereo. The dealer is asking $27,000 and has had it on the lot since late April. I am thinking They may go lower because of the time on the lot, and it not having a warranty anymore. I may go talk to them but what do you guys think would be a fair price? Also in your opinions would it just be better to wait until all the 2014 leases hit the dealership after the 2015 comes out. It looks like that may be alot of them with their new promo. I really just want to get the best bang for my buck. This is going to be my midlife crisis car that I will barely be able to afford lol. Thanks for any advice guys.
Well you could buy a 2014 brand new base R/T for only a little more than that but like you surmised it would not have all the options. What is most important to you options or a full warranty?

·
Premium Member
2,162 Posts
Wow - a big decision! Since you admitted it was going to be a mid-life crisis thing and that you'd barely be able to afford it, get the most car for the money whether new or used. I guess that goes without saying. You'll get the mod bug sure as shootin' so you may wish to look on eBay or other places for cars that have the mods already in place. If you are really into the color PCP, then you may wish to jump on the one on the dealer's lot. 9k is very low mileage and the 2010s were rated very high by Consumer's Digest for quality and reliability. The 2015's don't have drastic changes and you won't get all the options for the same money. You can always trade up to newer once you get some equity in your car. $27k seems high - I had a 2010 that had every option except nav and it had 4k worth of mods. I was priced out at $23k (granted, it had higher mileage). You won't get the best price from a dealer but at least the car will have been inspected and little things fixed...good luck! It is a big decision. Any year of Challenger looks cool and they will all turn heads!

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,672 Posts
Hard to say what a fair price would be unless we knew what part of the country you live in. If you can post your zip, I can try to approximate a fair market value price for your area. Also, you say the R/T you're looking at is loaded. Does that mean a lot of aftermarket modifications?

·
Registered
22,642 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,555 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I already checked by vin and it looks like it has not been done. Obviously I would use that to my advantage if that is the case. I dont really care about the options but It would be nice to finally have something nice. I am in a scion xb now lol.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
9,672 Posts
At 27k, the dealer is pretty much at the instant market value ($26,621) for Baltimore. If the car has been there since April, you might be able to talk them down another $1000. If the R/T is an automatic, be sure to ask if they have performed the timing chain repair recall.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
At 27k, the dealer is pretty much at the instant market value ($26,621) for Baltimore. If the car has been there since April, you might be able to talk them down another $1000. If the R/T is an automatic, be sure to ask if they have performed the timing chain repair recall.
thanks! According to carfax they havent done the recall work on it.

http://www.carfax.com/processVin.cfx

If that is accurate.

·
Registered
380 Posts
If it were me I would go in and offer 24k for the PCP if you like it and not let them get anywhere over 25k, I bought my 2014 Redline R/T for 30k but not many options and really I'd only want the upgraded stereo. I don't care for leather much here in the midwest, I only stick to it even with the A/C blowing. Take your time and consider your options. Welcome and good luck. John

1 more thing, if you buy used there is a dealer link on this forum that will give you a great price on the extended warranty, better than you'll get any where I've seen.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
9,672 Posts
thanks! According to carfax they havent done the recall work on it.

http://www.carfax.com/processVin.cfx

If that is accurate.
Be sure to have the dealership run the VIN against the recall list. The repair is important and should be done. What works in your favor is the low mileage on the R/T. The timing chain failures tend to happen between 40k-60k miles. Regardless, the repair needs to be done and be sure to get it in writing from the dealer.

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
Here's an 2010 R/T Classic in Leesburg with the upgraded stereo, 4,500 miles, leather, sunroof and a clean CarFax.... a lot of the same stuff the other car has.
They're asking $25,988. You can definitely bargain.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I just traded in my 2010 R/T on a new 2014. My car was also auto with moon roof, leather and upgraded stereo. The dealer gave me right around 21k for the trade-in which was pretty much blue book value. I would suggest that you can probably get him to sell for 24K- 25k. I wouldnt pay much more than that for it. Considering he probably got it for 21k or less.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for all the info guys. I really appreciate it. I have the bank draft in my safe, and its tough not to be impulsive, but I aim to make an informed decision based on your guys answers.

·
Premium Member
12,524 Posts
I am thinking you are pretty spot on with the pricing. My local dealer had a 2011 RT classic with 26K on the lot he was asking 32. Remember a fully loaded 2014 rt is north of 45 K I just bought one. With all the discounts it was 7 K off sticker.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts