Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm a proud owner of a 2008 Challenger SRT in the Atlanta area. It's mostly a garage queen that I rarely drive. I inherited the car several years ago when my dad, the original owner, passed away. Since I've owned it I've done a few mods but nothing major. I added a cabin air filter housing assembly from a Charger Magnum, an oil catch can, weather tech mats, and a Schumacher battery charger so I can keep the battery topped off during the winter. Oh I also added a matte black fuel cap because I liked it over the chrome one. I have all of the original parts so I can revert to %100 stock if I ever want to.

I have just over 21k miles on the car now. Y'all might be interested to know that I'm still running on the original tires which are now nearly 14 years old. There are some fine cracks on the outside of the tires but they still look pretty solid and have plenty of tread left. I can tell that the tires are harder than they used to be so I'm taking it easy on them until I get new ones soon. The original TPMS sensors work fine too!

Just wanted to say "hi" and I look forward to reading more about y'alls baddass rides!

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Motor vehicle Car Hood Automotive design Vehicle

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
10,948 Posts
Y'all might be interested to know that I'm still running on the original tires which are now nearly 14 years old. There are some fine cracks on the outside of the tires but they still look pretty solid and have plenty of tread left.
This is somewhat dangerous. Your tires can fail at any given moment, and odds favor it happening while the car is in motion. Suggest refreshing those tires when you can. With that dark moment aside, welcome to the Z!

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
58,617 Posts
Welcome from AZ.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is somewhat dangerous. Your tires can fail at any given moment, and odds favor it happening while the car is in motion. Suggest refreshing those tires when you can. With that dark moment aside, welcome to the Z!
I agree, it is a risk. I certainly wouldn't recommend it to someone who uses their car as a daily driver but I don't. I don't take the car on long trips nor do I get on the interstate. I'll wait until I get new tires to take it on a long road trip. Honestly I'm impressed that they've held up so well for so long and that the TPMS sensor batteries still work. Thanks for the welcome!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Welcome. I agree with HemiMetal, I’d replace those tires YESTERDAY. That’s a gem of a car you have there, made even more special by the fact that it belonged to your Dad. Regardless of whether you drive it on long trips or not, just driving it around your area, if you have a blowout at 45 or 50 mph, and end up in a ditch or a tree or another car as the result, man it’s just not worth it. That’s a gorgeous car! Congrats! But order a new set of tires tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,413 Posts
Welcome from the great state of Eastern Oregon.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Canadian Built Challenger
2,969 Posts
Welcome to Challenger FormuZ from Tampa Bay, Beautiful SRT get new tires we dont want members getting in Accidents.
I have seen several accidents from dry rotted Tires you never know when they will let go that old.
These are all very good Tires that will work and not high priced
Falken Ziex ZE950 AS,
Lionhart LH-FIVE XL AS A/S All Season Tire
Atturo AZ850
BF Goodrich Advantage

If you want a more performance based these are as good as the Extreme Contacts and a little easier on wallet.
Discount Tire | Tires and Wheels for Sale | Online & In-Person

BF Goodrich G Force Comp 2 A/S

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
4,152 Posts
Welcome from South Carolina! :)

Agreed on your tires get them replaced and drive the car, it is not good for a car to just sit that cracking of rubber will also happen to the drive belts and all the rubber hoses, and replace the TPMS sensors as well. Ry

·
Premium Member
2021 R/T Scat Pack Shaker Widebody
2,724 Posts
Welcome from Alabama. Nice SRT! (y)

·
Premium Member
2,803 Posts
welcome from south florida. beautiful challenger. and, just so that way you get one more person telling you this, please get tires. yup, another 2 cents for you.

·
Premium Member
2015 sxt/rt 5.7 with scat pack kits 1 &2
2,740 Posts
welcome from ny

·
Registered
257 Posts
Welcome to Challenger FormuZ from Tampa Bay, Beautiful SRT get new tires we dont want members getting in Accidents.
I have seen several accidents from dry rotted Tires you never know when they will let go that old.
These are all very good Tires that will work and not high priced
Falken Ziex ZE950 AS,
Lionhart LH-FIVE XL AS A/S All Season Tire
Atturo AZ850
BF Goodrich Advantage

If you want a more performance based these are as good as the Extreme Contacts and a little easier on wallet.
Discount Tire | Tires and Wheels for Sale | Online & In-Person

BF Goodrich G Force Comp 2 A/S
How do you know the accidents were caused by dry rotted tires?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts