Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to know what the Catch Can does for a 5.7 Liter Hemi. I like all I have read on the Bully CAI and Catch Can but what is it for and who should I take my car to to have it installed. I assume the dealership does not do that. Also does the Catch Can eliminate the Engine Cover? I was planning on getting mine custom painted. Thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts
I bought a like new but used Billet tech catch can but I seen that with the 2011 and newer they changed it up a bit and added $5 to the price due to extra hardware. This one was for a 2010. Now I've got to figure out what the extra hardware is? It also came with the Z bracket and the site says I need the fender mount bracket. Hmmmm
Anybody know what the deal is? Can I just install it without the engine cover?

·
SX=Modern Mopar Experts
3,961 Posts
A catch can or oil separator mounts in line on your pcv system. It catches excess oil and vapors that "blow by" during combustion. Without the can this oil and vapor gets re routed via the pcv to the intake which eventually build up and pools in the intake.

There are several options for catch cans, some allow you to keep the cover for the engine and others don't.

If you want to keep your cover you will want to look at this style
A fender mount will allow you to keep your engine cover
http://www.speedlogixstore.com/product-p/5032-40.htm

Using the z bracket will force you to lose it
http://www.speedlogixstore.com/product-p/5032-38.htm

·
"Turn on, tune in, drop out"
17,165 Posts
You can get one that allows you to keep the shroud on. I have a CC and a custom airbrushed shroud. Get a CC as one of your first mods.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Have installed catch cans, from BT, on '06 Charger R/T, '10 Challenger R/T, and '12 SRT Challenger and all still have engine covers without modifications.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Catch Can (CC)

A catch can or oil separator mounts in line on your pcv system. It catches excess oil and vapors that "blow by" during combustion. Without the can this oil and vapor gets re routed via the pcv to the intake which eventually build up and pools in the intake.

There are several options for catch cans, some allow you to keep the cover for the engine and others don't.

If you want to keep your cover you will want to look at this style
A fender mount will allow you to keep your engine cover
http://www.speedlogixstore.com/product-p/5032-40.htm

Using the z bracket will force you to lose it

Giys I have an 09 5.7 RT Will this work? I want to keep the engine cover as I will paint it B5 Blue. I see newer models being addressed. Also anyone in the Pugetsound area help me install this CC? Trust me I hire out all mods ! Ill do taxes instead! lol Only experienced Doctors can touch AGNES!

·
Premium Member
18,498 Posts
You don't need to remove the engine cover permanently to install a CC on an 09' RT. However if you want to install it on the front part of the engine,the original air intake box will have to be removed.If you have an after market CAI,you will have no issues. I chose the Moroso CC because of the drain valve and did it myself.It is a very easy mod to do.Here is a post which shows some pics :

http://www.challengerforumz.com/showpost.php?p=321870&postcount=1

Also, here's a good video on the installation :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-j7TS3RmUs

·
SX=Modern Mopar Experts
3,961 Posts

Giys I have an 09 5.7 RT Will this work? I want to keep the engine cover as I will paint it B5 Blue. I see newer models being addressed. Also anyone in the Pugetsound area help me install this CC? Trust me I hire out all mods ! Ill do taxes instead! lol Only experienced Doctors can touch AGNES!

Yes this will work for your car as stated it fits all 05-14 cars, we do have them in stock as well. Install is very simple, if you can use a screwdriver and socket you can do the install

·
Registered
476 Posts
Plus one on the CAI making it easy and keeping the engine cover. You can see that mine goes where part of the stock air box would be...easy install for me since it was right after the CAI.

·
Registered
640 Posts
One word of advice if your catch can is the Billet Tech variety DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN IT..It has a ton of thread so do not over tighten it. Secure it to where it is just hand tight and you will be fine. Don't keep torquing on it. While there is some space to get your hand in there to loosen it, it is still a pretty small work space. If you over tighten the CC it can be a pain to get loose again.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I recommend the Moroso - much easier to empty, no unscrewing the bottom of the can. Very easy to install!

·
Registered
2010 Challenger 6M- Brilliant Black, 426 stroker, Hellcat rear cradle, ZF 3.90 diff, DSS 1 piece
2,771 Posts
One word of advice if your catch can is the Billet Tech variety DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN IT..It has a ton of thread so do not over tighten it. Secure it to where it is just hand tight and you will be fine. Don't keep torquing on it. While there is some space to get your hand in there to loosen it, it is still a pretty small work space. If you over tighten the CC it can be a pain to get loose again.
X2^
I have large hands and it's hard to get a good grip if you over tighten.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Bought the Speedlogix one that attaches to the passenger side fender mount. I'll be surprised if they gave me enough hose. Was just simply laying the hose where it needs to go, and it looks like I'd have to route the hose straight from the intake port, directly over to the cc, and then straight back again to the pcv. Impossible if I want to keep the engine cover on, and that's specifically why I ordered the Speedlogix one that allows for the engine cover to remain on.

Also, when I try to mount it with the supplied hardware to the mount on the fender, the cc rubs so bad against the fender, I'm going to have to get a bunch of washers to move the cc up about 1/4 inch.

Totally agree on it being difficult to unscrew the can to dump it out. Thinking I'm probably going to have to completely remove it each time I want to dump it.

If the hose turns out to be too short to do anything buy route them in a straight line to the cc, I'm going to have to 'borrow' some aircraft tubing at work and try to come up with something a lot better than what's offered here. Guess I'm used to working on jet aircraft and lines being routed much better. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I installed my catch can with the Z bracket on my 2010 Challenger R/T classic and was able to put back the engine cover without modifying the cover. You can see the installed pictures if you go to the search engine and type catch can. You will see the pictures of the install on page 3 no# 26

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yours looks nice but, mine gets installed all the way over by the port for the window washer fluid. The hoses have to reach across the engine compartment, to the intake. I'll take some pics when done but, not too thrilled about how this one gets installed.

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
Bought the Speedlogix one that attaches to the passenger side fender mount. I'll be surprised if they gave me enough hose. Was just simply laying the hose where it needs to go, and it looks like I'd have to route the hose straight from the intake port, directly over to the cc, and then straight back again to the pcv. Impossible if I want to keep the engine cover on, and that's specifically why I ordered the Speedlogix one that allows for the engine cover to remain on.

Also, when I try to mount it with the supplied hardware to the mount on the fender, the cc rubs so bad against the fender, I'm going to have to get a bunch of washers to move the cc up about 1/4 inch.

Totally agree on it being difficult to unscrew the can to dump it out. Thinking I'm probably going to have to completely remove it each time I want to dump it.

If the hose turns out to be too short to do anything buy route them in a straight line to the cc, I'm going to have to 'borrow' some aircraft tubing at work and try to come up with something a lot better than what's offered here. Guess I'm used to working on jet aircraft and lines being routed much better. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
What hose we send is the same for each of the fender brackets so I do apologize if you did not receive enough hose. If that is the case let me know and we can send you some more hose.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Out of Curiosity, How often do you find you need to dump the oil? I really like the front mount one from Billet technologies, it looks very clean and out in the open. After learning about the oil blowby problem, I am really interested to get one of these on my 09 R/T. Mine only has 4200 miles and I would like to do this as one of my first mods.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts