Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Challenger Hellcat 6M - Destroyer Grey
60 Posts
This is the exact reason why I went out and bought a Supercharged, Iron block V8 this year. Have zero interest in any electric or even electric assist vehicle. Methinks much of the Challenger fan base isn't super interested in "Euro" spec Challengers...There's way too many other options out there if consumers want that.

I would also be concerned of the quality of the new platform and having the dealer service that new platform.

·
Premium Member
2020 Challenger GT AWD, Granite Crystal, Black Top, Convenience Group, car nickname: "Christine"
142 Posts
Sad but unfortunately expectable.
If one takes into account that all the steps in the policymaking and industry take certain time, the way to future in style of "Demolition man" movie (feel free to add any other parallel... none of them looks happy to me) seems having been planned and paved already:(

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
"The replacements are going to be so much more exciting," :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
10,230 Posts

The sad, unfortunate Stellantis envisioned future for SRT drag racing.
Instead of talking about aftermarket drive shafts, we'll be discussing how much stress you can put on the rubber-band powertrain.

·
Registered
17 Challenger Hellcat 6M - Destroyer Grey
60 Posts
Been saying the Demolition Man example for awhile. At first, somewhat tongue in cheek, but each year it gets more realistic.

Anything deemed not good or bad for you has been banned. Can you imagine the slippery slope we’ve been in and where we’ll been on a decade?

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger 392 T/A 6 speed
192 Posts
I'm glad I have mine. I just hope I can still fuel it in 10 years.

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus
4,464 Posts
The young gear heads decades from now might be talkin' about the factory gasoline powered hot rods we can buy now like these were the "Good Old Days". Or...maybe they won't give a crap because their green powered cars will go 0-60 in 2.1 seconds with a fake V8 sound piped into the cockpit and flowing out the fake dual exhaust pipes in back. All that and a mileage rating of 600 MPGe. Not sure how this will all shell out, but one old quote I remember is..."there is nothing permanent except change". Stellantis scares me because I don't really think they really care about saving the type of performance and style that Dodge is producing now. Hold onto what you have as long as you can.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger RT Scat Pack
1,304 Posts
The young gear heads decades from now might be talkin' about the factory gasoline powered hot rods we can buy now like these were the "Good Old Days". Or...maybe they won't give a crap because their green powered cars will go 0-60 in 2.1 seconds with a fake V8 sound piped into the cockpit and flowing out the fake dual exhaust pipes in back. All that and a mileage rating of 600 MPGe. Not sure how this will all shell out, but one old quote I remember is..."there is nothing permanent except change". Stellantis scares me because I don't really think they really care about saving the type of performance and style that Dodge is producing now. Hold onto what you have as long as you can.
This. I won’t drive a toaster

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
This. I won’t drive a toaster
I agree with that statement and a lot of the other folks here would too. The thing is, I really wanted to see a refresh of the current platform, only lighter with the same focus on performance we have currently - V8 powered for the performance models and V6 for the entry level cars. Stellantis...well, I've got a bad feeling about them, but we'll have to wait and see what they do.

Electric cars currently are the latest hot topic, but in reality I don't think we've gotten to the point of successfully transitioning to them in any massive numbers. And a lot of what you hear from proponents of electric cars is possibly fodder anyway. Most normal people won't be able to afford one new I don't think and like anything new you'll see a good share of issues once a fair number get into driving publics hands. You think gas can get expensive? I'll bet electrification will really raise your eyebrows when it comes time to charge 'em up. Like I said, hold tight to what you've got and enjoy it and get one while you can if you don't. ;)

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
10,230 Posts
Or...maybe they won't give a crap because their green powered cars will go 0-60 in 2.1 seconds with a fake V8 sound piped into the cockpit and flowing out the fake dual exhaust pipes in back.
It'll be like a gearhead version of those Playskool toys that teach toddlers how to associate sounds with animals. "The V8 says ROAR!"

·
Registered
2018 Challenger RT Scat Pack
1,304 Posts
Electric cars currently are the latest hot topic, but in reality I don't think we've gotten to the point of successfully transitioning to them in any massive numbers. And a lot of what you hear from proponents of electric cars is possibly fodder anyway. Most normal people won't be able to afford one new I don't think and like anything new you'll see a good share of issues once a fair number get into driving publics hands. You think gas can get expensive? I'll bet electrification will really raise your eyebrows when it comes time to charge 'em up. Like I said, hold tight to what you've got and enjoy it and get one while you can if you don't. ;)
As I've stated before:
"Wonder where they are going to come up with all that extra electricity?"

Ah, the million dollar question. And, I'm so happy you asked. The answer? They can't. Literally, they can't. Do some research on changing from a balanced power portfolio and going all green and see how that is going to work. The answer contains about as much "science" as a bunch of others things being thrown at us at the moment. Look at California and how that is working for them. I have several friends there, and they are very unhappy about how often their power is out, fires or no fires.

As for the cars themselves - these are a rich man's toys. Ask the single parent, working two jobs, who is trying to find a reliable, sub-$5k car to drive to both jobs and get their children to school how they are going to afford an electric vehicle, let alone find a charger and the time to use it with their schedule.

Right now, nationwide, Carmax shows 70 used electric cars. $7k is roughly the lowest, and most of the few in that range have 23-80k on them and are up to 6 years old. That is a pretty narrow market.

Dang. I'm becoming a dinosaur. And, I am really, really ok about that.
The issue is Power, Pricing, and what I didn't mention before: Resources and Waste.

I've no idea what Stellantis will do. I was just looking at newer Wranglers to replace ours at somepoint...all 3.6 motors with the auto now come with Elec-Assist. NOPE. More crap to break. Looks like I'll keep these rolling as long as I can.

Reactions: Derecho

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
As I've stated before:

The issue is Power, Pricing, and what I didn't mention before: Resources and Waste.

I've no idea what Stellantis will do. I was just looking at newer Wranglers to replace ours at somepoint...all 3.6 motors with the auto now come with Elec-Assist. NOPE. More crap to break. Looks like I'll keep these rolling as long as I can.
Would that be the E-Torque system?

·
Registered
2011 SXT Canadian Built Challenger
884 Posts
The Demand on Electricity is going to create larger energy issues, disposal of bad battery cells EPA Disaster, Shortage on Copper, and Aluminum for Wire, wait till the Electric Motors Burn up and they will be Car-B-Ques, they can not run for long distance and they can not hold the heavy loads for as long. Add a week to a vacation and over a grand in charging station fees or more. In the Winter Batteries will get less charge life its a fact of batteries, and increase of charging stations does not solve any energy independence at all NONE.

Now with a Power Outage oh cant charge the Car or Truck to get to work, store, school, doctor etc., Yeah think about recent winter storm outages , storm outages to Hurricane and Tornadoes I guess they think everyone will be buying Generacs or equivalents? You cant store Solar and Wind so now what and Solar Panels have their own EPA issues.

Next run a Battery Car on a Flooded Street even with a 10" to a foot of water see what happens.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
"That Thang Gotta Hemi !!!???"

Who says; OMG, I've got to get one of those BADAZZZ Electric Cars!!!

·
Registered
2017 TA Green Go.
69 Posts
Well there is a gas station on pretty much every corner. This transition is going to take alot longer than you think. If you cant afford a new car and alot of people can not how do they get to work? Shop? Go to moms for dinner? Gas will be around for a long time. There is no way around it. There are literally millions and millions of ICE powered vehicles out there.
They wont disappear in 5 or 10 years. 20 years down the road may be a different story. By that time I will be 72 or dead.
Production till 23 means lots of challengers to play with. If the "new" ones are great looking and powered by a 426 gas hemi I will get one.
If it has any kind of electric propulsion I will pass.

·
Registered
195 Posts
....By that time I will be 72 or dead....
Here is to watching Neil & Buzz on live TV, and GenX! The math is the same for me. 🍻

Staying on topic... The issue has never been about power or performance. Electric cars easily win that, hands down. The issue has always been about energy storage and energy replenishment.

America is an unusual nation with a vast private vehicle transportation system, unlike anywhere else. I could start driving my ICE tomorrow and end up in Montana, and Minnesota the following day (yup, did that). I cannot do that with an EV. I simply would not have the range or the ability to replenish the energy easily. Drive for a couple hours, recharge for an hour....yeah, not going to get me across this country any time soon.

There is no compelling reason to migrate to EV from ICE. When we went from horses to ICE it opened up incredible amounts of distance and easy transportation. EV doesn't bring that kind of incremental value to the masses. Until it does it will remain a niche player. The extenuating factor is government influence to try and drive consumer behavior. "Let's tax gasoline to pay for healthcare like they do in Europe." Sure, that would drive EV adoption, but it would be a false demand, not one driven by consumers.

The technical problem is battery storage has not changed in 100 years. Still an anode. Still a cathode. Sure, modern chemical reactions and computerized battery management push the technology limit. Either there needs to be a significant jump in battery technology or something needs to replace it.

Ultimately EV's will not replace ICE until I can 'refuel' an EV as easily as I can an ICE and I have the same sort of range.

·
Registered
2021 Challenger R/T SP WB M6
16 Posts
They are getting a lot closer with range and recharge times. Only a matter of time before they surpass ICE in terms of range and match the "refuel times". Less moving parts in EV. But it comes with its own set of problems like battery disposal, fire retardants for the chemical fires, high current lines hanging out at station (but I guess this is not much different than the fuel hoses).

They are certainly faster and I imagine they will end up towing better.

But for now I will keep my RAM and Challenger.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts