Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have decided to do a one piece drive shaft and a limited slip differential for my next mods. I am pretty set on the aluminum drive shaft.

I am currently running a 3.07 open differential per my build sheet. Most of the time it spins both tires but on occasion I get a one spin wonder. Like yesterday I left a stop sign beside a camaro on a side road and it spun the right tire for 30 yards.

This is my thoughts, a 3.09 limited slip and a 4" aluminum from The Driveshaft Shop. Thanks Ry. Another guy here in town says a 3.73 but I am Not really looking for a lower end. I'm pretty happy with the low end as is. Just need to wear out the Michelin's and get some rubber down on the road.

I would appreciate any thoughts the rest of you have on my swap. Thanks ahead of time.

Reactions: mike t

· Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

· Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As far as the wheel spin, what kind of tires you got on the back?
Michelins, with a I believe 500 rubber rating.

I was warned about the rubber ratings. But I put on what the internet said was the best. Should have listened to the members.

· Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Forgot: Once you go to a Limited Slip Differential you launch with Traction Control turned Off, with the Open 3.07 traction control is applying braking to the spinning rear tire attempting to stop it from spinning. Now if you are trying to go as fast off the line as you possibly can you don't want brakes being applied in the rear at all, but it will apply them even in Sport Mode showing traction off. Most brake pad wear happens on the front, but with traction control active trying to get off the line, my rear brake pads were worn to metal way before the front ever did, and that was from traction control being applied running 0 ~ 60s.
So the traction control still applies brake turned off. No wonder my 0-60s are not improving. Along with the fact that the more I drive the car the more torque it seems to develop. Although I can't figure out why it would. Maybe my butt dyno is off.

· Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I went the Toyo Proxes STIIIs which also have a 500 rubber composition but I went with those because I was initially driving to Texas from Georgia for work on a regular basis. Now that I'm back to flying because my new company pays for travel and when my wallet allows, I'll be throwing a set Nitto 555R2s on the rear. They have a 100 rubber composition and with their tread design, perform better in the wet than Mickey Thompson E/T Stret SSs if you're concerned about wet handling but both are great tires but like Ry said, you're only going to get about 10k miles out of either but when you put the juice to the goose...hang on partner cause you're going for a ride!
I did and was told not to do it but sometimes I don't hear good if you don't club me a little.

• Haha
Reactions: CaptScat345

· Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No not if traction control is completely turned off, in the center display section of your speedometer area, it will say Electronic Stability Control is Disabled, you do that by holding down the traction control button until it beeps and shows that warning.

Sport Mode is kinda deceptive it shows at the center of the RPM guage a little symbol of a car with squigly lines with OFF under it, but traction control is not completely turned off in Sport Mode. Even in Sport mode you can hold down the traction control button until it beeps and you will get the Electronic Stability Control is disabled, then it is turned off!
Thanks, I did not know that. I thought if you hit the sport button it shut it all down.

· Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
So I assume by no negatives on the 3.09 limited and 4" aluminum one piece we are in agreement? If so, I will get the orders in. I'll wait 24 hrs in case for late replies.

Thanks to all.

· Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
One last question, Can I get the safety loop through the driveshaft shop?

· Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Thanks Ry and Mike t I'm gonna order tomorrow. And Ry thanks for being a gentleman about the tire issue. Not one I told you so. I don't think I could have done it. LOL.

And a thank you to all that responded.Hot Dan, Captscat, mtglass, Dodgeguy, Rockdj, bandit992 and anyone else I missed.

· Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I am thinking about going with the BMR drive shaft loop because it mounts on the transmission cross member and is NHRA approved as well. $140 but the cost is not the reason. I like the way it mounts. Looks solid. Do you all think the Gforce would be better?

Also did you all have a lift when you swapped out your Differentials? And how hard was it with your setup RY?

My buddy with the lift in his shop works on a sea going tug as a mechanic and is out of town right now so should I wait for him or do it on Jack stands?
Differential is ordered and the driveline waiting on your response before I order the loop.

· Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
The BMR would not clear my Magnaflow High Flow Cats, I bought it, tried to install it, and ended up returning it and bought the one I link recommended, the only setup that the BMR should fit is 100% stock exhaust.

Others have had the same issue with the BMR not fitting certain brand aftermarket exhausts, you can take a chance if you want you do have long tube headers, but if it won't fit you won't make it fit.

Changing the diff., I used ramps floor jacks and jack stands, the jack slipped and scared the hell out of me, it only dropped an inch but when the jack slipped metal to metal it was so loud I probably had to go clean my pants. That was the reason after that, I built the ramps in my back yard.
Thanks, as you know I'm running the magnaflow as well. I'll just go with the Gforce.

· Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Thought you might like to see my one wheeler that made me decide to get the LS differential. I couldn't get it all in the picture but you get the idea.

Attachments

· Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·

· Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I still remember when I discovered I had an open differential, was doing a burnout and blue smoke enveloped the rear end and you couldn't see out of the rear. Went down the road and turned around to go back and see my stripes on the road. WHAT THE!???< Not Stripes, just one! :eek::sick::(:mad:🤬

A Challenger with an open differential how could Dodge do this, my muscle car turned into a unicycle! 🤣
Can It even be classified as a muscle car and do that? In front of a Camaro no less.

Reactions: RyzRT

· Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
Well it looks like more wait time for my drive shaft , They can't tell me for sure how long. Patience, Johnnyreb, patience.

I sure don't want to put in the differential without it. Which I am also still waiting for but they say they'll ship in about a week. I got the wrong one the first time as when I pressed the order button it said this differential won't fit your vehicle, so I order there number. Turns out it was the stock part number. Watch those parts houses they can really foul you up. imagine my surprise when I couldn't see any fins on the housing in the box.

This monster can't leave a stop sign without snapping your neck and leaving a little rubber now. I'm running my pedal commander at city+1. I can't wait to see what it does with the new drive line. I might have to turn down the pedal commander to just city. NOT! Gotta wear out those Michelins.
:giggle:

· Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
So your limited slip is installed and you're waiting on the one piece driveshaft?

Awesome! :)
Nope , I had to send the differential back because they sent original equipment 3:07 open, so I sent it back but they said it should ship next week. But its the driveline they can't say for sure when it will ship.

· Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I waited 8 weeks on my driveshaft, are you installing yourself?

If Yes, you need to read over the upgrade driveshaft thread I posted, there is need to know information in that thread.
Read that Ry In fact i've read the thread at least half a dozen times. Lots of good stuff. Thanks.

· Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
5.7L HEMI Upgrade to a One Piece Driveshaft.

Pay attention to the rear heat shield information.
You'll have to sort through some of the useless negativity posts in the thread, like don't get the driveshaft it vibrates, which mine never has.
Thanks I was gonna ask do you think I should get two sheets of the heat shield or just one? I am running the magnaflow 3" that you once had. I've got all this stuff bookmarked and am also going with the G force drive shaft safety loop and the bmr differential safety lock out bushing kit.

· Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Still waiting on parts, so far I have a differential, and BMR bushing kit. Waiting for a driveline and a safety loop. the Loop should be here next week. Haven't got around to ordering the heat shield yet. No date on the driveline yet.

• Helpful
Reactions: RyzRT

· Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Can anyone tell me (of course they can) how much friction modifier I should put in the differential?
Also got the heat shield ordered. I got the larger sheet.
Now I am looking at Per4mance differential brace, Has anyone had any experience with these? They cost $200 bucks so I don't want to waste the money if they aren't any good.

I'm told about 2 more weeks for the drive line now. which is what the website says but I have a commitment.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts