Dodge Challenger Forum banner

No front plate in Virginia soon?

4K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  mrhemihead 
#1 ·
There is a bill being discussed in the General Assembly that will no longer require vehicles in the Commonwealth to display a front plate. The bill is currently in the Transportation Committee. I hope that this bill makes it through but I am not holding my breath. They could look at it as a cost saving measure. One plate means that the costs for manufacturing them would be cut in half.

Here is a link to the information about the bill - SENATE BILL NO. 27

#2 ·
That would be good news for preserving the beauty of the front end!

#5 ·
front plate

I hope it goes thru nothing more ugly than a front tag takeing away from the front ''sculpture'' of our challengers. my challenger was dealer traded from PENNA to NJ where i live the car didnt have the front license plate bracket installed at the PA dealer as PA is a one plate state so when it arrived here in NJ ( a 2 plate state)i asked them to leave it off and they did! good luck

#8 ·
Well, I guess I have to be different and say that I like the front tag bracket. The front bumper cover would look a bit bland without something there. On the other hand this proposed law could mean that I could install my "Scat Pack" tag.

#9 ·
I did some more research on this bill and it looks like there are three different bills in the State Senate right now dealing with this issue.

SB 27
SB 304
SB 423

However, it looks like all three have been tabled until 2013.:sad:

#11 ·
Any updates on this bill? I got pulled over yesterday by Fairfax County's Finest on 286/Hooes Rd. I was flowing with traffic going 60 in a 50 so at first I thought that was why he pulled me over. Turns out he just wanted to be a dick and get me for no front plate. 6 years in VA with no front plate on either of my cars, pass several cops each day and none of them care except this bored prick. I think he was jealous. $25 fine plus $62 in processing plus 4% surcharge to pay with debit card. What a ripoff. I'm not putting a tag on the front. Let's see how long it takes for my next ticket LOL

#12 ·
Any updates on this bill? I got pulled over yesterday by Fairfax County's Finest on 286/Hooes Rd. I was flowing with traffic going 60 in a 50 so at first I thought that was why he pulled me over. Turns out he just wanted to be a dick and get me for no front plate. 6 years in VA with no front plate on either of my cars, pass several cops each day and none of them care except this bored prick. I think he was jealous. $25 fine plus $62 in processing plus 4% surcharge to pay with debit card. What a ripoff. I'm not putting a tag on the front. Let's see how long it takes for my next ticket LOL
That sucks about the ticket. The bill was continued to the 2013 session. As far as I can tell there is no schedule that would show when it will be voted on.

#14 ·
no front plate here since 92-93=yeah
I'm not holding my breath here. Let's look at the facts:

1. Most people don't want a front plate or don't care either way.
2. It would be much cheaper for the state.
3. It makes sense.
4. It would involve effort and mean change.

Unfortunately fact #4 usually outweighs everything else when it comes to legislators.:doh:

#15 ·
It should be noted that a front plate is not required to pass the commonwealth's annual vehicle inspection. Our sister states of NC, PA, and WV do not require front plates. He had to wait until I was past him to see if I was a law breaker.

#16 ·

I feel your pain, I moved to VA its going on 5 years and received my first no front plate ticket about 4 weeks ago. The officer asked me why no plate, I gave him some b/s about ordering a new bracket but he caught me in a lie. Next time I'm stopped, I'm saying the truth, I will not drill holes in my bummer ALSO, it looks like shit!

#17 ·
Here in Ohio the state does require we display both plates.

This may be a surprise to some of you......I don't. I am not drilling holes in my R/T or breaking up the impressive look of the front of the R/T.

#18 ·
It should be noted that a front plate is not required to pass the commonwealth's annual vehicle inspection. Our sister states of NC, PA, and WV do not require front plates. He had to wait until I was past him to see if I was a law breaker.

Guess it depends on the inspection station. They would not inspect my Viper with no front plate.

Although tags are not on the list of inspection items they say only vehicles legally licensed and tagged in VA can be inspected.

No front tag...not legal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.