Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
25,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I purchased my R/T Plus, I understood that regular unleaded fuel would be acceptable to use. After reading the owner's manual, it is recommended to use 89 octane fuel. Well this is embarrassing to tell, but the small town where I purchase fuel does not have premium gas. The highest octane is 87. The super unleaded fuel is 89 octane, but I don't like to use fuel with ethanol added. What should I do? There is another small village near here (l0 miles away that I can purchase premium), but I never go that direction, so it would be an extra 20 miles every time I need fuel. Two questions: Can I use ethanol fuel with 89 octane? Is there an additive that can be used to boost the octane? Any comments or help would be very much appreciated.

·
2012 RT Redline Tri Coat
3,672 Posts
I only use 93 Octane, luckily it is the closest gas station to my home. If it were me I would find a way to put the right gas in the tank. Octane boost could be a substitute, but over-using it could possibly cause issues in the long run.

·
MOPAR Top Eliminator, Carlisle 2016
26,475 Posts
While not the ideal circumstances, many of us run on the (up to) 10 percent ethanol fuel with no problem. I can get marine fuel without ethanol, but it is only 90 octane, whereas the SRTs require a minimum of 91. Do not under any circumstances put E15 in the tank.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
You should be 'ok' using mid-grade 89 octane even with the 'up to 10%' ethanol with no problems unless the R/T has to be set up for long periods. Then the 10% ethanol fuel tends to collect water. If the car needs to be 'put up' be sure to treat the fuel with a good fuel stabilizer with 'ethanol shield'. The 'up to 10%' ethanol fuels are hard on the fuel system not the engine and the E85 as has been stated is extremely hard on the fuel system and the fuel management systems. Remember in the world these cars were designed for and live in 10% ethanol fuel is a given. I run all gasoline and premium but when you are on the road you get to the point the 10% ethanol fuel is all you can find to get back home.

·
455 RWHP / 452 Torque
3,733 Posts
Wonder why we don't use something like this regularly instead of just when winter rolls around and we put the cars away for a few months? Seems like it would make sense, even if every other tank or maybe every third tank of gas?

·
25,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Going Out of My Way

X2 what BSB said.........I'd go 10 miles out of my way for gas (wait, I actually do)..to get 91 oct eth free.....more time in the driver's seat!!
Thanks, I agree!! I will go out of my way to get the right fuel. I was mainly confused about the ethanol being 89 octane, which is acceptable, but have heard that it is not good to use. More specifics as to why on this would be helpful.
I also like more time in the driver's seat!!

·
Premium Member
8,685 Posts
Where I live there is NO pure gas ANYWHERE near me. I've had to use the 10% for 3 years now with no problems has long as the car doesn't sit for long which is no problem here in the south. You won't get has many MPG with the ethanol mix gas....but unless the car sits all winter or something...it won't do any harm either.

·
25,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Price of Ethanol Fuel

Where I live there is NO pure gas ANYWHERE near me. I've had to use the 10% for 3 years now with no problems has long as the car doesn't sit for long which is no problem here in the south. You won't get has many MPG with the ethanol mix gas....but unless the car sits all winter or something...it won't do any harm either.
I also know that you don't get as good of mileage with ethanol. However, since I live in corn country (Nebr. Cornhuskers!) they sell the ethanol fuel for 10 to 20 cents a gallon cheaper. So for me the ethanol won't really cost me more due the difference in price from regular unleaded.

·
What's Old is New Again!
33,906 Posts
You will be fine with 89 Octane 10% ethanol fuel. Like KeysB5Blue said, do not use E85. And like JimMc says, it doesn't hurt to put an Ethanol Stabilizer in every 3 or 4 tanks.

I used to use exclusively 93 Oct Pure gas until October of last year. That's when the truck stop that I got the Pure Gas went to 10% Ethanol. I've just noticed a little less gas mileage with the 10%.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts